• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is your primary Bb and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I find this thread really interesting (thanks, Louise, for starting it) because when going through it, I do seem to extract from the posts that most of us really don’t change that much in terms of their fav instruments. Rather they stick to one or two setups.

Thanks very much, your are very welcome, and I completely agree.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

There is a current thread on the German TF on mouthpieces going along the same general direction and also there it seems that the „never (or rarely) change a running system“ concept has been adopted by a large number of the posters.

This got me thinking should I get rid of some more stuff (on the fence about the Buescher and an Olds Studio cornet visiting the house right now) as I’m never playing some gear anyway.

I could easily do with two Bb, the C, and the flugel (the latter getting playtime about twice a year for eight bars or so). The rest really doesn’t add to playing, just to the „cool“ and „want“ aspects of trumpet gear.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmaudlin wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1115407989645194&set=a.247105686475433&__cft__[0]=AZW2BNjgltoI-r9N5TFmYw65FKXpj2_VTQaTHQaSv7LyuuRKtdNE6UwNj_iJrO86ET8aKJmpXw

My fully restored 1966 bach 37 star on lead pipe. serial 37351
Gold wash bell. It came with beautiful Vincent Bach Corp. 10 3 EW mouthpiece
_
the underline is under 3
I could not move it up it is not 3/4

The mouthpiece is very smooth to play
This horn plays very nice and sounds great.

Looks beautiful, thanks.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37 333xxx. Big core and open. Old 5b mpc.
Chickynuggie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main is a Stomvi Master Titanium I bought used. The versatility, IMO, is unmatched. I’ve got a 25, 26, and two 27 bells to swap on it (the 27s are sterling silver and gold plated copper). I’m likely grabbing one of the new #30 bells, too. The variability with valve guides, maxi clappers, lead pipe and bell bow are phenomenal options IMO.
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: What is your primary Bb and why? Reply with quote

My primary Bb is a Schilke S32HD in silver because of its even response up to F above high C and its full sound across my range. Its only drawback is the weight which is 30% greater than my second choice, a Schilke B5. The latter offers quick response and a brighter sound than the S32HD. The mouthpieces I use are a Yamaha 17B4 (approx. similar to a Bach 1-1/4C), a Curry 1-1/2 BC or a Bach 3C with a modified throat, depending on what I'm playing.

BTW, the response to this subject illustrates the variety of horns available.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is your primary Bb and why? Reply with quote

JMWTpt wrote:
My primary Bb is a Schilke S32HD in silver because of its even response up to F above high C and its full sound across my range. Its only drawback is the weight which is 30% greater than my second choice, a Schilke B5. The latter offers quick response and a brighter sound than the S32HD. The mouthpieces I use are a Yamaha 17B4 (approx. similar to a Bach 1-1/4C), a Curry 1-1/2 BC or a Bach 3C with a modified throat, depending on what I'm playing.

Thanks very much. I briefly had a go on my colleague’s Schilke S33HD the other day. That is one trumpet that I would have liked a longer go on. I believe that yours is basically the same but with a different bell taper, yours number 2 and my colleague’s 3? I’d have to look it up to know for certain.

BTW, the response to this subject illustrates the variety of horns available.

It does indeed.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m currently in the honeymoon stage of owning an Edwards X-13 trumpet. The valves are fantastic, it’s lighter than expected yet resonates with a nice timbre. It is not a dark sounding trumpet by any stretch of the imagination. I’m using as a lead horn and it’s performing exceptionally well. I have yet to gig on it, February was a slow month.

I saw the Stomvi S3 LB previously mentioned. It has a great sound , plays very well in tune and is the most efficient trumpet I have ever played.
weeeeve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to horn is my Firebird Trumpet that used to be owned by Don Ellis.

It's most definitely not an all-around horn, but it is fantastic in a funk or big band horn section, and is so much fun to play. As I'm now 63 and have been out of the professional music business for 20+ years, I just want to play the horn that brings me the most smiles. And this horn is it.

Bach Strad Model 72
Holton Firebird

My music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vmwM185PWOnMCC1I8Cwjr
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current horn. I am very interested in getting a Schilke B6
Pickett Mouthpieces
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the Game here Lou, but my favorite Bb is hands down my Schilke X3L, which has the Sandoval modifications. I put metal valve guides in, had it aligned and play it with a Bach 1.5c with a 26 throat instead of the normal 27. This is my go-to trumpet for anything I use a Bb for.
Of all my trumpets and trumpet-like instruments, this is my favorite horn. I enjoy playing it every time I pick it up.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Bass Tr: BAC
Nat. Tr: Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
CaptPat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37, primary and only horn. Purchased when I started my comeback, brings a smile every time I play it.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 14 years away from trumpet, retuning in 2014, I went on a short safari to find a horn that I liked enough to fill in the gaps that my trusty Benge didn't fit in as well. In 2016, I acquired a new Bach New York 7! I have other great Bb horns that I use in specific situations, but the NY7 gets the lion's share of usage. Simple mouthpiece changes and variations make this an extremely versatile instrument! If I could only have one horn...

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What is your primary Bb and why? Reply with quote

JMWTpt wrote:
My primary Bb is a Schilke S32HD in silver because of its even response up to F above high C and its full sound across my range. Its only drawback is the weight which is 30% greater than my second choice,

I’m currently splitting time between this and a:

Schilke Soloiste MG

The Soloiste does everything better after adjusting to it, will probably make that my 90% Bb soon.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeeeve wrote:

It's most definitely not an all-around horn, but it is fantastic in a funk or big band horn section, and is so much fun to play. As I'm now 63 and have been out of the professional music business for 20+ years, I just want to play the horn that brings me the most smiles. And this horn is it.

My Holton C150 pocket cornet (trumpet) was also owned and played by Don Ellis. I purchased from his sister Louise. Mine is the only trumpet version of this cornet model ever made.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found this 2018 from an old thread, that I found whilst researching my Xeno II's serial number:

kevinwoods wrote:
I love this horn! I was a Conn-Selmer endorsing artist for years, then, I played one of these at a music educator's conference I was performing at (on my break, just for fun I told myself...) and was hooked! Yamaha has really done a great job with the second generation Xenos. They play great, are consistent, really good pitch and scale/evenness, and the sound they produce is capable of having so much character. I'm now a Yamaha artist, so I'm a little biased, but this horn was enough to make me jump ship from Conn-Selmer. Check out the horn if you have the chance. They really are something special.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love on here anymore for the Xeno II, although it was well regarded when it first came out, but it is nice to see someone else saying the same thing lol about the Xeno II, as I seem to be the only one on here nowadays playing one, and I'm still convinced lol that it is a great trumpet.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trumpetsnack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing a few similar setups here, but I love my lightweight Bach 72 with a gold brass bell. It can sound super dark and flugel-like when I want it to, but also really sings when you want to brighten it up- pretty much great in any situation. It's probably the first Bach I ever really liked, and easily my favorite trumpet so far.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two!

A "bright" silver X-13, and a "smoky" satin lacquer X-13.
CheapHornGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Chinese horn to which I've added two dimes (to bottom caps 1 and 3).

I call it my four-hundred-dollar (and twenty cent) Schilke killer.
weeeeve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
weeeeve wrote:

My Holton C150 pocket cornet (trumpet) was also owned and played by Don Ellis. I purchased from his sister Louise. Mine is the only trumpet version of this cornet model ever made.

Very cool. I was and am a huge fan of Don Ellis. I bought the Firebird off of Don's uncle, who owned a music store in Wichita Falls, Tx (Max Kreutz House of Music). After Don's passing, many of the instruments and mouthpieces went to Max. He had several Bbs, a quarter tone trumpet, the Firebird, and a box with 40 or 50 mouthpieces that Don had made. With the Firebird, it was love at first note.

Bach Strad Model 72
Holton Firebird

My music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vmwM185PWOnMCC1I8Cwjr
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent nearly 20 years looking for "the one." I've owned over 40 horns in that time. I eventually realized that I needed different horns for different jobs. My 9335 for teaching and legit stuff like playing in church. My Committee for small group jazz stuff in a quiet setting. My Del Quadro for commercial playing. Although I used to have a 8335LA that I might have preferred a bit more for that kind of playing. So many horns, so little time.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: