• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Blue juice fans here?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Any Blue juice fans here? Reply with quote

I know a bunch of professionals going back to blue juice saying its fast and last long. Dont need to oil that often? Anybody here dig it?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tech swears by it but it’s been hard to get in Europe. Just discovered a source, may try it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! Used it forever despite the bullying. Recently swtiched to Monster Oil Eco Pro (first time an oil swayed my opinion).

It's fast. Does NOT last long. I re-oiled every night.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from Blue Juice to Yamaha regular.

Not sure if it was that or cleaning again more extensively or both that fixed a sticky valve, but I’m using the Blue Juice now for the garage door opener.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it for years - I purchased it in the extra large bottle since my friends would bum it off me - even a trombone player.

I only stopped using it during the pandemic when a lot of my playing opportunities went away. I just stopped playing.

Upon the beginning of the recovery, I found that my valves, like the economy were a little slow to return. Seems like you can't just abandon a piston instrument with Blue Juice on the valves. Rather than correct my sloppy storage practices, I've switched to synthetics and Denis Wick.

If you are playing the instrument frequently, I still think Blue Juice is great stuff. I always oiled up at the beginning of a session so I can't say how long it lasts - it just does not last 2 years.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of negative comments about Blue Juice on other threads, though many seem to favor it.

One of the things I did before switching was to look at the pre-owned horns for sale on the Josh Landress site, where they list the valve oil of each horn they’ve serviced. With few exceptions they use one grade or another of Yamaha valve oil, and I haven’t seen any listed with Blue Juice.

I was also told by a TH member they were allergic to Blue Juice to the point if other people in the orchestra were using it, they had an allergic reaction. I have noticed a mild reaction to Yamaha oil when I apply it, but my nose is pretty sensitive in general.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed very hard to find Blue Juce in The Old World. I ordered one bottle and used it to my satisfactiory but actually I found it not any better than Hettmans, Holton, All Cass, Getzen, Yamaha, etc.
It's a decent valve oil, nothing special although it smells better than Holton oil
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Blue juice fans here? Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I know a bunch of professionals going back to blue juice saying its fast and last long. Dont need to oil that often? Anybody here dig it?

With no intent to disrespect nor start an argument I struggle with second hand endorsements like this. How many is a bunch? Who are these professionals? Why did they stop using blue juice initially? Why are they going back? YMMV

Also, why does it matter how long it lasts as long as it lasts for the practice session or the gig? Oil is cheap. Repairing the worn valves due to lack of oiling or replacing the trumpet isn’t cheap. If you put a penny’s worth on your valves daily it only would cost $3.65 a year.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as "fastidious" with little details on all my instruments as most players that post on this topic. Don't get me wrong, for my "good stuff" I am very picky; Hettmans on my Srads and Schilkes and Getzen, and La Tromba on several CaroleBrass horns.

But on some of my favorite "vintage" horns, I use Blue Juice, or on a few more worn valves, a mixture of Al Cass and pharmaceutical mineral oil. I also use the mineral oil for Amado water keys.

The Blue Juice smells just like the Doc Severinsen oil I got and used on my 72 Doc Severinsen trumpet, and all my horns back then. For me, it seems a fresh coat of the Blue Juice will cut through some of the gunk these older valves get from sitting in the cases (I do thoroughly clean them when needed, and let them dry a few days before they are cased). I assume there is some organic (organic chemistry, not "eco-organic) that gives that odor.

I also run a few drops down the lead pipe and blow it through the horn. Keeps the insides shiny.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard a tech saying put about a teaspoon of oil down the leadpipe. That brought to mind a small spoon you might use at the dinner table as opposed to a measured teaspoon used for baking. So I put 10 or 12 drops down and instead of tipping the horn around to distribute it, I blew it through and opened the water key. Kind of a mess.

I think it was this same guy who said he liked to use WD-40 in the leadpipe. Not what I’d expect.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a bottle when I got my first comeback horn. Didn't particularly like it. Had to re-oil a lot. Then tried All Cass. Same thing more or less.

Been using Monster for at least 5 years now.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Heard a tech saying put about a teaspoon of oil down the leadpipe. That brought to mind a small spoon you might use at the dinner table as opposed to a measured teaspoon used for baking. So I put 10 or 12 drops down and instead of tipping the horn around to distribute it, I blew it through and opened the water key. Kind of a mess.

I think it was this same guy who said he liked to use WD-40 in the leadpipe. Not what I’d expect.

I have always counted out 4 or & drops and blown very hard as I .over the pitons up and down. Rarely had a problem. Let's the whole horn.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Blue Juice Reply with quote

Years ago I worked as a clerk in the Woodwind and Brasswind on 23rd St. Phil Smith came by and bought a couple of bottles of Blue Juice. I figured if it was good enough for him it’s good enough for me.

I still use it!

LCM
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sign for warding off evil lubricants

* Years ago, I tried it and it gave me a fair bit of trouble.

* Started teaching, my students who had it tended to have trouble.

* Talked to techs, they thought it was terrible.

* Worked in a music shop. If a horn came in with sticky valves, odds were good it had a bottle of Blue Juice in the case.

* 25 or so years after my initial experiences with it, I still think it's kind of garbage

That said, some people seem to use it successfully. I had one student who had a baritone with problematic valves that didn't respond to the usual suspects but worked well when I gave them some Blue Juice to try (out of desparation). So, there's always a use, somewhere.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes the valves fast and evaporates fast, and over time, leaves blue gunk in the valve passages. I used it for years, but I now use 5 Star oil.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Interesting, the techs I have talked to don't hate Blue Juice. Most of them dislike Hetman (they find it too dirty, as is my experience). Wayne Tanabe once recommended Blue Juice, but this was years ago.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
It makes the valves fast and evaporates fast, and over time, leaves blue gunk in the valve passages. I used it for years, but I now use 5 Star oil.

Shout out for 5 Star. When I was having trouble with a previous horn and talked to Dr. Valve about it, that is what he recommended. I bought some and have been using it with satisfactory results on all my other horns. The problem horn still had problems and I eventually sent it to Charlie Melk for a complete valve job before selling it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

abontrumpet wrote:
Interesting, the techs I have talked to don't hate Blue Juice. Most of them dislike Hetman (they find it too dirty, as is my experience). Wayne Tanabe once recommended Blue Juice, but this was years ago.

I know almost a dozen brass techs and not a single one has anything good to say about Blue Juice - other than it gives them work.

(the dent bag of valve oils?)

Hetman sometimes gets a recommendation, but not always - and when not, its' for the reason you cite.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
thejoed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the blue gunk in the valves or the smell. Switched to Ultra Pure.
Eterna
txharp3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Blue Juice user for several years now. No plans to switch any time soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: