• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Original Taylor versus Carol Brass Phat Puppy Comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Original Taylor versus Carol Brass Phat Puppy Comparison Reply with quote

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the original Taylor version with the Carol Brass version of the Phat Puppy flugelhorn? I’m wondering if there is a sufficient difference between them to justify the additional cost of the Taylor horn.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just buy the carolbrass. That said if you want a custom finish or extra cool buttons, maybe you'd buy the original version. It's the same valve block, and probably nearly identical bell and leadpipe profile, right?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
It's the same valve block, and probably nearly identical bell and leadpipe profile, right?

Actually, it looks like the Taylor version has the 2nd valve slide on the other side of the valve block, and the 1st valve slide is curved back next to the block (which gives more unobstructed thumb access to the 3rd valve slide ring). When it comes to the bell, the Taylor version bell branch joins the bell at a different point, the bell branch and bell crook have smoother curves, and the bell flare has an oval shape.

I haven't tried either of these, but Bill Colletti plays the Taylor version here:

Link

and the Carol Brass version here:

Link

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip pointed out that the tuning slides are different between the two makes but this is only partly true. In some photos of the Taylor version the second valve slide is on the left and the first valve slide is folded over but in others the slides are like on the Carol version (see for example the one for sale at Austin Custom Brass). Perhaps the Taylor version changed at some point. [/img]
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps indeed!

I referenced the images of the Taylor version provided on Taylor's 'official' site, but who knows how well the site is kept up-to-date.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
drmayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have apparently been quite a number of variations of the Taylor one - for instance, here is a picture posted on Taylors FB page back in September 2018:

https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/posts/phat-puppy-update-want-one-of-course-you-do-get-in-touch/10156248243634702/

But in a followup post done shortly after this image was posted, Bryan Corbette posted a link to a video showing one with a straight 1st valve slide, but with a finger ring attached to it:

Link

And here is an image of one apparently for order, with a straight 1st valve slide but no ring adjustment:

Notice the 2 piece bell on this latter one - the Carolbrass one is a 1 piece bell.

The Carolbrass also has a universal MP receiver pipe meant to handle the different Flugel MP morse sizes (along with the "trumpet" MP receiver pipe). The CB one also comes with a case.

I would imagine if you ordered one from Taylor custom, you could get it in any number of variations.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a very slightly used Taylor made version from Trent Austin and it arrived yesterday. It has the wrap shown in the last photo of the previous post which differs slightly from the Carol version. The bell is two piece copper which also is different from the Carol version. It came with a single lead pipe that accepts a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Does it play better or worse, I can’t say as I don’t have a Carol version to test it against. I can say that I am happy with it. The valves are smooth and it plays well in tune. I was looking for a nice fluegelhorn tone that is a bit brighter than my Benge 5 and that is what I get with this horn.
drmayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an interesting video on early CarolBrass Phat Puppy prototypes:

Link
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the video. It seems that Carol was working on Phat Puppys with a number of finishes but now the only finish that I see for sale is shiny laquered brass.
drmayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the lacquered one seems to be the most predominate one they are making, but it seems there are some others out there (e.g. raw brass):

Link
Hrossey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Taylor Phat Puppy for maybe two years now. I love it. If I was buying one now I'd go for the Taylor, but price difference is relatively small in the UK. I would consider the Carol if the difference was greater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: