• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rat Rod Horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I am stunned finding myself agreeing with the originally quoted poster on anything, but the reality is that Facebook is the geriatric social media. Just look at what Mike Corrigan has achieved using it as the sole marketing channel for BAC (like running a fantastic opportunity to the brink of oblivion?)

I am not sure that his failures are due to marketing. From my limited viewpoint he generated a lot of interest but failed to execute. Both in getting actual product available to responding to ongoing questions after the initial push.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I am stunned finding myself agreeing with the originally quoted poster on anything, but the reality is that Facebook is the geriatric social media. Just look at what Mike Corrigan has achieved using it as the sole marketing channel for BAC (like running a fantastic opportunity to the brink of oblivion?)

I am not sure that his failures are due to marketing. From my limited viewpoint he generated a lot of interest but failed to execute. Both in getting actual product available to responding to ongoing questions after the initial push.

While Covid obviously put a dent in things, BAC had the tooling, updated floorspace, and talent to produce - and they built a number of horns. But if one looks to the "dealer network" at the website, etc., all that is there is Rent-My-Instrument's network of non-pro outlets. These are some solid horns designed by heavy hitters, but no-one is able to get their hands on them. Facebook video is not enough to get people to spend that kind of money.

If I want to check-out a Bach or a Yamaha, or a long list of boutique horns, there is a dealer network as well as other opportunities to evaluate. With BAC, there is nothing but mirror-images of Mike Corrigan hyping things up on Facebook.

The talent pool that was there is dwindling, and now that Covid is in the rear-view, there are still no distributors. Frankly, the best thing they could do now would be to sell as B-stock through "Quinn". With the fantastic service that Amanda there provides to assess horns, and an iron-clad return option, that could jump-start the viral reputation building that is essential to branding. Without it, BAC will not get past being a Facebook fable - worth about as much as "Designed by Michael T. Corrigan" printed on the bell of that euphonium that looks just like some other Chinese stencils.

It is very frustrating to see all that BAC could be, squandered by a short-sighted marketing strategy exclusively relying on the grandma social network.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook has a very useful feature called blocking. It could also be of great utility here.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

While Covid obviously put a dent in things, BAC had the tooling, updated floorspace, and talent to produce - and they built a number of horns. But if one looks to the "dealer network" at the website, etc., all that is there is Rent-My-Instrument's network of non-pro outlets. These are some solid horns designed by heavy hitters, but no-one is able to get their hands on them. Facebook video is not enough to get people to spend that kind of money.

If I want to check-out a Bach or a Yamaha, or a long list of boutique horns, there is a dealer network as well as other opportunities to evaluate. With BAC, there is nothing but mirror-images of Mike Corrigan hyping things up on Facebook.

The talent pool that was there is dwindling, and now that Covid is in the rear-view, there are still no distributors. Frankly, the best thing they could do now would be to sell as B-stock through "Quinn". With the fantastic service that Amanda there provides to assess horns, and an iron-clad return option, that could jump-start the viral reputation building that is essential to branding. Without it, BAC will not get past being a Facebook fable - worth about as much as "Designed by Michael T. Corrigan" printed on the bell of that euphonium that looks just like some other Chinese stencils.

It is very frustrating to see all that BAC could be, squandered by a short-sighted marketing strategy exclusively relying on the grandma social network.

Corrigan graduated from Red Wing Technical College, in Red Wing, Minnesota. A highly-regarded music instrument repair training institution, that was the "brain child" of Zigmant Kanstul.
As far as I know, Corrigan did not graduate from the Wharton School of Business; or, any other Business College or University.

I attended, but did not complete the course of study (due to medical issues) at Red Wing College.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Is there some reason why you do not count BAC's regular website (https://www.coolisbac.com/) as a valid marketing channel? (Admittedly, it could be for all practical purposes inactive.)

For a while, Austin Custom Brass seemed to have had an arrangement with BAC, selling their high-end models and even collaborating on a horn design:

Link

Link

However, the ACB website no longer lists new BAC horns in their inventory; they only have a couple of used ones available for sale, so something may have 'gone south' between the two companies.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, ACB still periodically lists BAC instruments, and the BAC channel on EBay does as well - but that is not a distribution network by any realistic means. Neither has a significant footprint digitally. You have to be drawn-in by Trent's marketing to look to ACB, and the EBay listings are basically a pure chance encounter. BAC needs/deserves a real distribution network.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason new (design, models, makes) horns are necessary ?

New horns are not always superior to the proven classics.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAC and social media discussion probably warrants its own thread. You can't blame businesses for being where their customers are, and for the majority of instrument shops, their customers are retirement age with disposable income (aka average Facebook users). From what I've heard about BAC recently, there's not a lot of instruments coming out of their KC facility these days, and they've gotten away from some of their original ethos around American trumpet manufacture. Without knowing the inner workings and day-to-day operations, I'd guess there's a lack of output of the high end stuff and more of a focus on high-margin items like imported instruments and rentals. I think they were in some trouble with their DCI equipment brand, and the other projects (Benge, Martin, Calicchio, Kanstul, ACB collaborations, "pimp my horn", etc.) seem to have died on the vine. Regardless, I'm sure whatever is ailing BAC requires more than a TH post to sort out.

On the topic of Rat Rod, it's an interesting concept, and their page is pretty open about focusing on inexpensive vintage instruments. They're not charging an arm and a leg for their converted horns either, which is respectable in today's environment. I like the idea up recycling/upcycling old student instruments into new creations, and some of the wraps they do are pretty neat.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:

Very true, but old horns don't last forever, musical tastes change, and manufacturing has always been a way to make money.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these guys have fun, and possibly good work. This thread reminds me… does Garry Stoner still make his copper creations? I haven’t been able to find signs of him online or active here anymore.

I’ve got a donor horn and a want that’s right up his alley… wiling to consider other folks if they have a good reputation and a style that jibes with mine…
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No has made a perfect horn, so there is always room for improvement.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:

True.

But, at what cost?
Four-Hundred ($400) to One-thousand ($1000) American Dollars added to an existing design, for a barely noticeable 1%-2% improvement in playability or sound "improvement" ?

"I pity the fool" - - frequently uttered by "Mr. T", a character in the 1980s
television series, "The A-Team".
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:

True.

But, at what cost?
Four-Hundred ($400) to One-thousand ($1000) American Dollars added to an existing design, for a barely noticeable 1%-2% improvement in playability or sound "improvement" ?

"I pity the fool" - - frequently uttered by "Mr. T", a character in the 1980s
television series, "The A-Team".
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a full-time professional musician whose livelihood depends upon winning an audition or defending your chair against a challenge, a 1%-2% improvement might be worth $1000 to you.

Different people in different circumstances operate under different value propositions.

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Goby and ConnArtist. Looks like the fellas at Rat Rod have fun and looks like some other folks like what they do, too. Looks like a much better hobby/side gig than playing computer games or drinking beer day in day out

Plus I enjoy the whole concept of taking something old, possibly in bad shape, and making some cool musical instruments from that. After all, my C falls in the Rat Rod category and works better for me than the Eterna C I had a while back.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Looks like a much better hobby/side gig than playing computer games or drinking beer day in day out

Surely not better than drinking German beer!

Brassnose wrote:
Plus I enjoy the whole concept of taking something old, possibly in bad shape, and making some cool musical instruments from that.

+1

Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

If you are a full-time professional musician whose livelihood depends upon winning an audition or defending your chair against a challenge, a 1%-2% improvement might be worth $1000 to you.

[*disclaimer -- I was one, years ago. NEVER again will I attempt to make a "decent living wage" as a full-time musician. AND, I was in the Union. Obviously, I was not "good enough", or I did not catch any "breaks". Made more money promoting events, doing "sound", etc.]
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOWEVER (!) ... about (+/-) how many "full-time professions musicians", in this particular case, trumpet-players ... might you speculate, are you suggesting?

I didn't have any number in mind. Why is that relevant? It's a reasonable hypothetical (that you agree is true).

My main point is more important: Different people in different circumstances operate under different value propositions. There have been too many heated arguments on TH arising from some people passing negative judgement on the choices of others simply because they don't share the same value proposition.

Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Halflip

It is likely a very small number of trumpet players. VERY SMALL.

In-any-event; to each his own. We are fortunate in having many choices.

I prefer NOT to get into those "heated arguments", to which you refer.
The dreaded Dunning-Kruger effect seems to be ubiquitous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: