• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did the mouthpiece feel "right" to you as a beginn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did the mp feel like it "fit" when you were a beginner?
Yes, felt right from day one
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
It took a while but eventually it did
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Didn't feel right at first and I still struggle with it
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
I don't remember, feels good now
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Took years for me to figure out how to make it feel right
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
I have floated/posited the idea that before puberty, individual possess low somatic awareness. That, combined with inexperience on the instrument, results in "unawareness" for a very (relatively) long time.

Most young beginners don't seem to really "feel" the mouthpiece and they are very far away from "feeling a sense of belonging" of the mouthpiece. That is the "blessing" they are given (they don't have to think as much -- while adult beginners have the curse of somatic awareness); they just approach the instrument from a position of "play."

That being said, personally, I never thought about mouthpiece and the way it felt until undergrad. In middle/high school, I played middle of the road name brands (Yamaha and Bach). Now, depending on the year/month/week/day, the mouthpiece feels more at home versus other days. At an advanced level, it's obvious when a mouthpiece has the potential to work for you and when it will not. Often, "comfort" is a product of "good efficient playing" more than the specs of a mouthpiece. When I play poorly, my mouthpiece feels terrible and vice versa.

Maybe I'm unusual but I was very conscious of the fact that the mouthpiece didn't feel right even as a beginner.

I have a fairly full upper lip and I know that was a factor. The vermillion and "white meat" are different from a tactile standpoint. If I suck my lips in to simulate having thin lips the way the mouthpiece feels is very different - there's a distinct feel of a pocket. I can't play that way but it gives insight as to what people with naturally thin lips experience. I had to learn to find a pocket with my lips in a natural position.

I once saw a beginner book where they direct you to place the mouthpiece so there's a small amount of upper lip white meat visible inside the rim as seen with a visualizer. No way that works for me - of course the model for the photos had thin lips completely unlike mine.

My good friend who I played in a stage band with who was the "natural" had thin lips. When I described my struggles they were completely foreign to him - the mouthpiece had always felt good to him.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:
Most young beginners don't seem to really "feel"

Maybe I'm unusual but I was very conscious of the fact that the mouthpiece didn't feel right even as a beginner.

For clarity, you started trumpet at age...?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First mouthpiece was an Olds 3 that came with the Olds rental trumpet in the 4th grade. I played that all the way to high school. Very comfortable and nice sound and range.

Then in high school my parents got me a private teacher. He immediately switched me to a Bach 1.5C. That felt fine also and had nice sound and range. I didn't know any better. Then my parents bought me a Benge 3X trumpet to replace the rental.

By the way, I just pulled out an Olds 3 mouthpiece. I could totally play on that now. Nothing wrong with it.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Robert P wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:
Most young beginners don't seem to really "feel"

For clarity, you started trumpet at age...?

5th grade so I was about 19.

Probably age 10.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I have never paid any attention to how it feels. My focus is on how it sounds.

What that tells me is that it felt very comfortable so it was never an issue - much like my friend "the natural" you didn't *have* to pay attention to it. If it hadn't felt right you would have been keenly aware of it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing at age 10. The mouthpiece was just a mouthpiece, and I didn't really become aware of different mouthpiece types until high school when one of my friends sold me his Bach 7C, which got a lot nicer sound than the stock mouthpiece that came with the horn I was playing. When I got to college is when the safari began--I went through three or four mouthpieces my freshman year and by the time I was 30 I'd played more than 20 different mouthpieces and another dozen since then. Selling most of them on eBay a few years ago paid for one of my horns.

I miss those early days when I didn't think about all that stuff and just played.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: