• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb buying advice coming off a 9335CH II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the OP says he has many other mouthpieces, I suggest finding a few of those that insert deeper than the GR and see if a 'playing difference' can be detected.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bb buying advice coming off a 9335CH II Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
Hi! Currently playing my 9335CH gen 2 for most of my work, ranging from showband (pop covers with horns), musicals and a mardigras band.

I like the Chicago but i feel its a little too much "legit" feeling for my preference,

My understanding is that although it of course can be played for all styles (it is a trumpet afterall), the Chicago was designed to be an orchestral trumpet, so I'm not surprised that you feel that it's a little too legit feeling for your preference, especially since you are using it for showband (pop covers with horns), musicals and a mardigras band.

i like the hard slots

I'm surprise that you like such secure slotting for these genres, but we are all different.

I play a Yamaha 8335 Xeno II as my primary Bb in a symphony orchestra, community light orchestra (playing everything from shorter/lighter classical works to overtures to musicals to swing/big band arrangements), and big band. My Xeno II has the standing tuning slide configuration and is in lacquer. It is a great all-around trumpet, but if I was to be fussy, I would say that it leans a little to the legit side for swing and big band arrangements, hence me agreeing with abontrumpet's suggestion of trying the YTR-8335RII (silver-plate is optional in my opinion), which has a reversed leadpipe configuration.

but it's slightly too tight. Looking for something a tad darker and more open, but nothing drastic. Tried a 8310z (gen 1) and it had too mutch spread to the sound and not enough projection.

I'm not sure about darker (or more open than your Chicago in some cases), but if you want to stick with Yamaha, what about the YTR-8335LA, which is presumably more open, YTR-6335RC or YTR-8330EM in addition to the YTR-8335RII, if you don't like the YTR-8310Z?

What would you think is slightly more open and maybe more "jazzy" (Not jazzy as a martin but you get the idea). than the 9335CH.
Other Yamahas?

I've obviously answered above regarding other Yamaha's.

Bach?

The following may be worth a try:

https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/brass-instruments/trumpets/19072x

https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/brass-instruments/trumpets/19072v

https://www.conn-selmer.eu/instruments/brass-instruments/trumpets/190l65gv

As are maybe some of the LT or LR models (I have a feeling that the LT1901B may be being discontinued), and maybe models with the 72, 72* or 43 bell (I'm not sure that this is so much darker, rather probably bigger and broader than say a 37 bell).

Heard great things of the Thane, ar resonance, edwards, Bohme trumpets.

Schilke is probably worth a look at also.

The 9335CH II is also for sale on facebook in the 2 main groups.

Have a good day!

Take care and have a good day also.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just A/B/C'd the newest generation of Yamahas (NY, Chicago, LA) at the Atelier in NYC this week. For me, being an all-around player with an emphasis on orchestral playing, The LA gen 2 fit the bill for me. Whenever I play Bb in my orchestra, it's either Carmen, Heldenleben, or Tannhauser. We don't program these works all that often, and even if a low F comes into play (we just did Scriabin 2) I just play low F on my C and it works just fine.

My Bb playing tends to be the pops gigs, jazz gigs, and shows. The sound of the artist models was more dense, beautiful, and heavy. The LA was the best compromise for me for what I do 99% of the time on Bb.

If you're looking for something that can do most everything that you want on a Bb and like Yamaha's playability, I'd check the LA out.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theRiddler wrote:
I just A/B/C'd the newest generation of Yamahas (NY, Chicago, LA) at the Atelier in NYC this week. For me, being an all-around player with an emphasis on orchestral playing, The LA gen 2 fit the bill for me. Whenever I play Bb in my orchestra, it's either Carmen, Heldenleben, or Tannhauser. We don't program these works all that often, and even if a low F comes into play (we just did Scriabin 2) I just play low F on my C and it works just fine.

My Bb playing tends to be the pops gigs, jazz gigs, and shows. The sound of the artist models was more dense, beautiful, and heavy. The LA was the best compromise for me for what I do 99% of the time on Bb.

If you're looking for something that can do most everything that you want on a Bb and like Yamaha's playability, I'd check the LA out.

A very sensible approach in my opinion, and very good advice.

Not using a C very often for symphonic playing, doing virtually all of my symphony orchestra playing on Bb, and playing in a community orchestra in which I need to play everything from classical to swing and big charts on ideally one Bb trumpet, I find the standard tuning slide configuration Xeno II in lacquer to work very well an all-around Bb trumpet for me.

But, the OP doesn't appear to be doing classical playing, so I reckon that either the YTR-8335LA or YTR-6335RC would possibly be a better Yamaha choice, or maybe the YTR-8335R, if he wants to stay a little more legit.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: