• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dan Haerle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Dan Haerle Reply with quote

Very sad to hear about the passing of jazz pianist Dan Haerle. Dan was an excellent teacher, musician, and author, who retired from the University of North Texas 2002.

Dan collaborated a lot with Jamey Aebersold, and was the pianist on many of his play-alongs. So if you're a fan of Aebersold, you've probably played with Dan.

Dan was also a prolific author. Along with Jamey Aebersold and Jerry Coker, Dan's books had the greatest impact on my playing.

I was fortunate enough to take online lessons with Dan in recent years. A common theme he would stress is to strive for authenticity and to "trust the beauty of the notes you're playing". He loved music, and did his best to pass on that love to his students through teaching and through the many books he authored.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a jazz improv class from Dan at North Texas. He was so good at explaining things clearly and always gave us kind, constructive feedback.

I had a roommate during my undergrad at BYU, a bass player who had studied and gigged with Dan when he was at Arizona State in the 1970s. After I met Dan I realized what a strong influence he'd been on my friend Bob, who had (consciously or unconsciously) assimilated almost all of Dan's speech patterns and mannerisms.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a great cat and a dear friend and mentor for something like 50 years.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan was a one-of-a-kind. He also played Bass and I took a String Methods course from him. The course was Tues-Thurs-Sat at 8:00 A.M. In this particular class, a lot of the students were jazzers and had Friday night gigs, usually not near Denton. 8:00 was brutal so on Saturdays, instead of playing pedantic exercises, we played lead sheets. I played walking cello with a hangover, LOL. Dan made it fun.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In every encounter we had, Dan was gracious and very willing to share his knowledge. He will definitely be missed.

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
weeeeve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of Dan's passing. I remember my first jazz class with him at North Texas. It was at 7am. Not a typical time for musicians to be up and moving about. And I remember him walking in that first morning and saying "You think you're tired? You're not. From now on, consider this your normal."

I still tell myself that on those days at work when I'm feeling tired.

Bach Strad Model 72
Holton Firebird

My music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vmwM185PWOnMCC1I8Cwjr
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to UNT I had absolutely no background in jazz. I figured it would be a great place to learn about it. So I dragged my wife of 1 year from Missouri to Texas so I could study there. My first week in jazz classes I was totally lost. It was like they were speaking ancient Greek. I couldn't understand what they were saying. I went home and told my wife. She said I $&*%^ figure it out. So I dropped my jazz classes and signed up for Haerle's Jazz Language class. I actually learned to speak jazz in that class. He was an awesome teacher.
DrewB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Dan Hearle Reply with quote

Met Dan when he was a grad assistant for Jerry Coker at Miami. Played in his “Jazz/Rock” ensemble. I’m still trying to figure out why he wrote a piece in 7.5/4. Fun times.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dan Hearle Reply with quote

DrewB wrote:
Met Dan when he was a grad assistant for Jerry Coker at Miami. Played in his “Jazz/Rock” ensemble. I’m still trying to figure out why he wrote a piece in 7.5/4. Fun times.

7.5/4. Wow!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
txharp3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.

Like most Jazz musicians, I own several of his books. Sad to read about his passing.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just now seeing this and hearing about Dan's passing.

Like so many others, his Jazz Fundamentals class during my first semester at NTSU was a huge wake-up call. That cat laid it all out so even a slow learner like me could get it . . . well, a lot of it, anyway.

One of my favorite Dan Haerle sayings that I use all the time is, "There are no difficult keys, only less familiar keys." (I usually remember to give him credit for that when I say it to students, too.)

I'm pretty sure I was there the first semester that he started the small groups program there, but I could be wrong about that. I was happy to be included in one led by Chip McNeill.

Dan was definitely a genius and such a great guy. I remember when his beard was about five colors (circa 1978) and he was into photography. He gave me a picture he took of me playing at the spring Lab Bands concert in '79 that I gave my parents . . . it stayed on their corkboard in the kitchen from then on. He was so good that he made me look good, even though I didn't sound all that good.

I loved Dan and will always cherish the huge and positive impact he made on me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: