• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

You learn something every day . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritz of WA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: You learn something every day . . . Reply with quote

Been playing about a year, coming back after 55 years. I live in a condo so I practice daily with the Yamaha Silent Brass system. The YSB provides a good facsimile of what my tone sounds like while not disturbing the neighbors.

All fine until last week, when my trumpet suddenly veered off into uncontrollable weirdness, sounding more like a strangled cow than a horn. I thought maybe the YSB was faulty . . or its cables . . .nope. I cleaned and re-oiled the valves. Nope.

Well, maybe it was time for a deep clean. So I performed that task and later, re-assembled everything, but no joy.

Finally, I discovered the problem: the water key on the main tuning slide was not sealing properly upon release after discharge of water. Resulting leak of air sent the sound all over the place.

Solution? I put a drop of valve oil on the hinge, and I also make sure each time I clear the water out that key properly re-seats and seals.

Anyone else have anything similar happen?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - turned out it was time to replace the spring.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lever type water keys usually have a spring with 2 'legs' that either point straight back towards the finger pad, or the legs are wrapped around the posts and cut short.

I prefer to leave the legs uncut, because cutting leaves a sharp point and makes removal of a broken spring difficult.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: You learn something every day . . . Reply with quote

Fritz of WA wrote:
Solution? I put a drop of valve oil on the hinge, and I also make sure each time I clear the water out that key properly re-seats and seals.

Thanks for sharing. A little drop of oil goes a long way.

When I clean my horn, I put a drop of oil on the water key springs, the third valve stop rod screw threads, and the valve cap threads.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Fritz of WA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Update on water key issue Reply with quote

Took the trumpet to a repair tech to have the spring replaced on the water key. He cleaned it all and showed me that the problem was that the hinge housing and the tiny bolt that runs through it had all corroded badly, just from saliva and one year's playing. Said he'd never seen such corrosion on a newer instrument.

I checked with the manufacturer, found I have another 9 years on the warranty. I sent them a couple pictures I'd taken when the repair tech had it disassembled, and today I received a warranty replacement (i.e., free to me) main tuning slide with its brand new water key assembly.

I have also learned to angle the instrument carefully when discharging water so that it will drop straight down rather than have a chance to run along the curve into the assembly. I also dry it thoroughly when I am done playing.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s very odd. Is your horn from a decent manufacturer and did you buy it *new* a year ago? Or was it *new old stock* or something and has been lying around for years and maybe corrosion had already started and no one noted?

My Blessing was likely built in 1979/1980 and I am still on the first springs, hinges, etc. (not the first corks, of course ) and I don’t think I ever oiled the springs yet the are perfectly fine.

Good to hear that the warranty side of things is working out
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Fritz of WA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That’s very odd. Is your horn from a decent manufacturer and did you buy it *new* a year ago? Or was it *new old stock* or something and has been lying around for years and maybe corrosion had already started and no one noted?"

Brand new last April, a model JTR1100S, made by Jupiter, who also made the student model my grandson has been playing without any problems for a year and a half. I really like my horn, and was extremely pleased by the rapid response by Jupiter, who replaced the tuning slide with no reluctance whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: