• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Manchester Brass history

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyProps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Manchester Brass history Reply with quote

Hello,

I just purchased what was listed as a vintage Manchester Brass Flug on eBay. I saw vintage and Manchester and assumed it was old and made in Manchester. Then I looked up the history of MB and see they’ve only been making horns fr 15 years and they’re manufactured in Taiwan. I support Taiwan, but that’s not what I was looking for (found a sweet old Couisnon in January that USPS LOST uhg). Haven’t been able to find any more info on the company, but the seller says they’re an older company that only shifted manufacturing there recently and that when he restored this instrument it had 50 years of patina on it. In any event, he already shipped it.

Anyone know anything about how old this company actually is?
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Manchester Brass history Reply with quote

BillyProps wrote:
Hello,

I just purchased what was listed as a vintage Manchester Brass Flug on eBay. I saw vintage and Manchester and assumed it was old and made in Manchester. Then I looked up the history of MB and see they’ve only been making horns fr 15 years and they’re manufactured in Taiwan. I support Taiwan, but that’s not what I was looking for (found a sweet old Couisnon in January that USPS LOST uhg). Haven’t been able to find any more info on the company, but the seller says they’re an older company that only shifted manufacturing there recently and that when he restored this instrument it had 50 years of patina on it. In any event, he already shipped it.

Anyone know anything about how old this company actually is?

I don't know how old the Manchester Brass name is, but it is an offshoot / subsidiary brand of Carolbrass, which is arguably the largest and most reputable maker in Taiwan. Lots of high-end boutique trumpet makers like Harrelson use their valve blocks. Austin Custom Brass is, last I heard, the exclusive dealer for Manchester Brass in the US, and Trent Austin has numerous videos on YouTube showing and playing Manchester Brass horns. The shop also gives each Manchester Brass a PVA and whatnot before they sell them.

As my signature lines indicate, I have a Manchester Brass flugelhorn. It's pretty great. Is it as great as a new, $3,500 or $4,000 Adams or Van Laar? Maybe not. But it is a very, very solid horn. It is a copy of the tried-and-true Yamaha 631G: the "medium" flugel bore of .433" with a 6" gold brass bell. I may get more compliments playing it than any of my other horns, to be honest. When I want a light and fluffy tone, I use a Curry 1FL-M (which I understand has been replaced by their FL-J line). For a deeper and darker sound, a Monette B11. For really dark and mellow, a Curry 1FL-D.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality - both build quality and sonorous character - of the Manchester flugel.

Here is one of Trent's videos on the Manchester flugel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZlVSquqB-g
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
BillyProps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I’ve read good things about the quality of their horns here. Thanks for the info on mouthpieces.

Emailing the company and seeing what they have to say about dating the serial number might be my best bet.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there used to be a different company called Manchester Brass in the Netherlands, that has nothing to do with the modern brand, which apparently is made for Adams and ACB by Carolbrass. Here is an example on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285680137099?chn=ps
BillyProps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
I think there used to be a different company called Manchester Brass in the Netherlands, that has nothing to do with the modern brand, which apparently is made for Adams and ACB by Carolbrass. Here is an example on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285680137099?chn=ps

lol that’s the one I bought
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: