• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet Student

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnewman475

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: C Trumpet Student Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a Junior in College in desperate need of a budget C trumpet. I am in a few orchestras and have been transposing with my Bb but now I need a C for my studies.

What is the best C trumpet for the lowest price?

Any help is great, thanks!
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.
Cheap.
C Trumpet.

Pick any two.
Fubeca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My college C was a modified Beuscher Aristocrat I picked up for $550. It was functional and played in tune. It worked great for an Ed major. I spent six years on it before upgrading.

Last summer I picked up a Shires Q13. It's a great horn for under $3000.

Edit: My local music store has B&S make horns for them under the Gerhard Baier brand. I've seen lots of their Bb horns in the hands of local college students and I considered buying their piccolo before finding a good deal on a Kanstul.

My point is that Bach and Yamaha aren't the only good options. You can always upgrade later with trade-in value or selling to the next college kid who needs a budget horn.
Flugel: 1970 Getzen Eterna
Cornet: 1957 York 75 "Brilliant"

Last edited by Fubeca on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: C trpt student Reply with quote

Hello,
Not super cheap, but a Yamaha 6445 would fill the bill.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people doing nice c-conversions of Olds Ambassadors which you can get for about $400. If it's a well done conversion it will do the trick. I've played mine in the community symphony and it fits right in.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: C Trumpet Student Reply with quote

pnewman475 wrote:
Hello,

I am a Junior in College in desperate need of a budget C trumpet. I am in a few orchestras and have been transposing with my Bb but now I need a C for my studies.

What is the best C trumpet for the lowest price?

Any help is great, thanks!

I assume you meant, "A C trumpet for a College Student majoring in Music Performance." I've learned that there is no such thing as a student C trumpet, because trumpet players who are expected to take up C trumpet are usually well beyond the level where they will be well served by a student-quality instrument.

What is your budget? Are you open to using unsecured credit and/or some college loan money to defray the upfront cost? Is the instrument you're intending to buy also going to be the instrument you initially will use professionally after you graduate from your music program?

Are there any rent to buy programs for advanced players looking for an advanced instrument?

Have you spoken with your advisor in the music program you are enrolled in? That person's guidance may be more useful than anything you may read here, my own thoughts included. No slight or insult meant towards my fellow TH members.

I don't think you'll easily find something remotely worth it for a player at your level for less than 1000 USD unless somebody offers an awesome deal on a very good used instrument. You can price instruments using Reverb or eBay, but your advisor will likely tell you to buy something that you can try before you commit. So again, go to that person first.

I wish I had a more straightforward answer for you, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing the question about budget. Roughly what budget do you have? My C (but I am not and will never be a pro) is a Bb converted to C by one of the best techs of the country. Some pro players have tested it and liked it, one even remarked that it is better in tune than an off-the-shelf (well known brand). Paid less than 500 EUR for the conversion plus a few tune-ups. So a Bb C conversion horn would be viable if done by a pro.

TH Marketplace has a number of presumably good used C horns. A Weril at 500 bucks sticks out as affordable but I have never even seen a Weril horn, so can’t comment. Or contact ACB, Dillons, Thompson, … and ask what they can do for you.

I’d have a line to a Yamaha 241 C with a complete overhaul and tuning way below 1000 USD but am located in Europe, so probably not terribly useful for you if factoring in shipping, taxes, and customs.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a Sonaré artist, and the trumpets made in Germany, fitted with a Blackburn leadpipe, and their microlock valve design played VERY well, and would be a great choice for you for an instrument you could probably use forever.

Mine has a few add-ons that Sonaré artists were able to get, and it plays great. Too bad it never gets played, as it is an excellent horn. While I don't use it because I have a FANTASTIC Bach 229, if a damage situation meant my Bach had to go in for repair, this Sonaré is at the top of the list for a "substitute" instrument.

It's not $400 cheap, but I'd bet you could find one for $1300-1500 that would mean you never needed another.

Then again, I did find an outstanding Bach 239/25A C trumpet on here last spring (a year ago) for less than $1100.

Deals are out there, if you are constant in your search and have a way to pay quickly.

Good luck,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're getting the drift... you are already (playing wise) past an entry level or student model instrument-any key.

Save your pennies, borrow money from your parents, work a second job, work with your teacher.. keep looking and find find a "pro" horn.. there are plenty used quality C trumpets out there for a reasonable cost. I'd say $2000 or less is what you're looking at.

C trumpet (any trumpet) especially in the orchestra, is about the sound quality in the hall / ensemble. Any less than top quality won't serve you well.

As a point, the area I'm in, most, if not all of the working/teaching trumpet players know each other, and can contact each other at the drop of a hat. I'm sure if I had a student looking for a used C trumpet, someone on that list would either have one or two in had or know of available horns or options.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot easier to pick out a good used C trumpet if you have already spent some time learning the C.

Have you checked to see if your university has any C trumpets to rent? Obviously, check with your instructor - sometimes major companies leave "demos" for extended periods with teachers.

If you are simply concerned about your ability to transpose quickly, music writing software with score scanning and transposition features is very affordable. Finale for students is discounted to about $100.
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessing had a C trumpet that was affordable. I think they are out of business. However, check eBay, etc. for listings. Also, Olds and Kanstul had some. again check listings.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first C, and probably the standard for most C trumpets, was a Bach C180L with the 229 bell and H(Herseth) leadpipe. There are a fair number of Bach C trumpets in the used market for under $2k. If you go with one of those, make sure it's a large bore model, especially if you're going to use it for orchestral playing.

The Stomvi Forte C trumpet sells new for about $1600. I've never played one, but I've heard they're very good and play better in tune than most Bach C trumpets.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Blessing C Trumpet Reply with quote

Steve Hollahan wrote:
Blessing had a C trumpet that was affordable. I think they are out of business. However, check eBay, etc. for listings. Also, Olds and Kanstul had some. again check listings.

I own a Blessing b152 C trumpet. I would not recommend it as a cheap option for a performance major in college. At best, I would only mention it to a casual player who just wants a C trumpet for the sake of having one to occasionally play, and even then, I would highlight its limitations. The best thing I can say about it is that its fit & finish are of decent quality, and its valves are pretty good. It sounds and plays like a small high trumpet in Eb or D, and the intonation is problematic, at least for me. Performers looking to use it for higher level orchestral repertoire will find that it plays too small to fill a concert hall like a real C trumpet should, and they will waste time fighting its intonation quirks.

(The Blessing brand is currently owned by another company which I think slaps the marque on stencil horns, and they no longer offer a C trumpet.)

-----

Speaking of older discontinued C trumpets, every so often Getzen Eterna C trumpets show up on eBay, and sometimes Getzen Capri (intermediate) C trumpets. I'm told they don't quite play or sound like the industry standard Bachs & Yamahas, but everybody who owned one seems to rave about them. Holton also made a C trumpet back in the day; I think it was designed as a Bach clone.

Incidentally, Getzen currently offers a C trumpet that, by its catalog description, seems to be designed to play like a Bach. I don't know how much cheaper it is than a Bach or Yamaha. Every time I see them on eBay, the prices are often north of 2000 USD lightly used or brand new. BTW, we still don't know the OP's budget.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, seems we now start tossing individual horns around I had a Getzen Eterna C from the 1970s and didn’t like it. Valves were not what I had expected from all the raving comments on TH and it felt quite hard to play, stuffy, very unusual response.

Conn at some point later in their history made the 80B or 81B which must have been quite good and there are also older Yamaha models like 241 or the 741 out there. I like the older Yamahas quite a bit, so I’d probably look for a Bach or an older Yamaha. I never quite clicked with the current Yamahas but that’s just me, I guess.

Again, check ACB, Dillons, Thompson, Centex, etc.; pretty sure they have a horn lying around for you.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C is a Kanstul made F Besson Classic with Najoom leadpipe, and Bach 229 style bell. Somebody asked Jack Kanstul about my C trumpet and he said:

hi louise

i have jack on the phone and he says yours has an A bell (229)
with .020 thickness

.462 bore

he said that your leadpipe is a C7 (7") pipe that dennis sent to them directly
and not a kanstul part

ron

Anyway, I bought mine as new old stock for a less than the price of a used Bach C, and I feel that it is a pretty decent C trumpet.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nearly new Schilke S22HD for $1,500 a few years ago, and the older designed horns were right around $1,000
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ebay listing might interest you. It's an excellent instrument that looks to be in good shape. As others have mentioned, getting a good instrument at a lower price than this would involve quite a bit of luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326050480124?itmmeta=01HRWGVY9DJJXC9F1VTZNEAPGB&hash=item4bea1f7ffc:g:Qj0AAOSw3ZRke6nM&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0LXRJe3fgP316NyJrattpE7jkw8bomZNUNWzAqbfl4je57ipUW5Awu5p0KsQ0GSjbWsbiCo1AjZt6fiqlrSv21KSHn4SWzy32eXFmzN9jESpYZ5aOttFCdujtU%2FUUqeCzFbToXPIaaJuDTi6f5TEg86qrHeCH%2B9p%2Fw3Q0K%2FytBWNzwPFWpk9MqVTRt8LNIRRhyrqGgQfgak%2FPiD5Jmsp67XXkzC53uoeVRgvGm8jz4FOwUUbZuS4RyjhJhfSTrM7auGlSpBQd3PZTN0hEyH1mQM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_Dk75DHYw
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a new line at ACB:
https://www.austincustombrass.biz/awesome-y-fort-custom-ytr741-741-c-trumpet-in-gold-lacquer-its-spectacular/

Not cheap, but less expensive than a new Bach or Yamaha C. Now...to be clear, Trent would sound great on pretty much anything he picks up, but this is a nice sounding horn. At least worth a look.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of nice used horns here on the Trumpet Herald. Be careful of the seller - make sure they have lots and lots of posts. Also, PayPal or similar 3rd party can give you some protection.

It’s a bit of a gamble buying used if you can’t try it. But the way I see it, you can turn around and sell it for what you paid. I’ve bought a few horns here. Never been disappointed.

These are just a few quick ones I saw. You can keep an eye out for Yamahas, Strads, Schilke's, and some others. You can expect to pay anywhere from $1,400 to $3,000 depending on the model and quality.

Good luck on your quest!

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146317

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146234&s=229-25H
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought here....

I once bought a horn that was assembled by Eclipse and was made of Getzen and Kanstul parts. It was an AMAZING horn, but it took years to sale because it didn't have any of those names engraved on it.

I once brought a Bach C trumpet that I sold for $1500 within a week because it was a Bach and was in good shape.

If you get an entry level horn and eventually decide you want to step up, you may be stuck with that other horn for quite a while.

That being said, "budget" is relative these days.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-getzen-3070-c-trumpet-sn-g28798.html?id=101369606

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: