• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet Student

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 'budget' C trumpet, very briefly, a number of years ago now, and since I mentioned it at the time and ruffled a few feathers by mentioning the brand, I'll just leave that out here, and say you may be far better off trying to 'invest' in a better quality C, knowing if you don't need it after your student use, you can flip it to someone (if you keep it in good shape) far easier... and at the same time, not struggle while you do need it with bad sound, intonation, valves, etc. like is very likely with a low-budget C. they're hard enough to get playing right as is, no need to make it worse, by picking up a Yugo or Trabant version of a C trumpet.

Buy the best quality one you can afford now, and who knows, you might end up holding onto it and be glad you did. Better to buy one good example of something one time, then buy two or three bad ones, and still end up having to buy the good one later. Same advice works for chain saws, cars, you name it.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I tried a 'budget' C trumpet, very briefly, a number of years ago now, and since I mentioned it at the time and ruffled a few feathers by mentioning the brand, I'll just leave that out here, and say you may be far better off trying to 'invest' in a better quality C, knowing if you don't need it after your student use, you can flip it to someone (if you keep it in good shape) far easier... and at the same time, not struggle while you do need it with bad sound, intonation, valves, etc. like is very likely with a low-budget C. they're hard enough to get playing right as is, no need to make it worse, by picking up a Yugo or Trabant version of a C trumpet.

Buy the best quality one you can afford now, and who knows, you might end up holding onto it and be glad you did. Better to buy one good example of something one time, then buy two or three bad ones, and still end up having to buy the good one later. Same advice works for chain saws, cars, you name it.

1+, yes to buy the best you can afford. Years ago I had a Schilke S22 C. It was a great horn, but was difficult to go back and forth C to Bb and back, but that C didn’t quite have the sound I was looking for.. I talked with Jim Becker about having a C that was relatively easy to play and go back and forth and get the sound I was looking for. He suggested I get a Bach 239 C with a 25A pipe. I sold the Schilke, bought a derilect Bach 239 for $1000. It wasn’t pretty and didn’t play well, had a 25C pipe. I sent it to Jim and had a 25A pipe installed and blueprinting. Viola, for less than $1500 I have a great playing C. The sale of the other C more than paid for it. So, the thought here, get the best you can afford. I had a converted Ambassador too, intonation was terrible. Sell stuff, work another job if you can. Playing a C that is just adequate in the trumpet studio May work for awhile, but if you can not play in tune with other students or the orchestra, you will be working too hard.

There is a reason professional tools cost so much and it’s a tool that needs to work right every time. I’m a grad student and I play principal in the University orchestra. If you are just slightly out of tune on a passage or excerpt, the director will stop the rehearsal , point to you and make you play until it’s right and I did catch it last week for the solo I was playing on “A Voice In The Wilderness.”(Hochman)It’s above the staff on a C trumpet with a strait mute.

As stated above from RandyTX, get the best you can afford, I took out a loan for a good Bb my freshman year. And already said, sell stuff, work. But, if you don’t get the right horn now and get a cheap horn, you will only spend the money later. Now, no money, give Trent Austin a Call at ACB, he may have something that will work for you. And, as already mentioned, you can always sell it when you’re done.
Sorry it’s long, but hope it helps.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the lowest you'll find on the decent to good end of things:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/908980343592511/

Also, it being an Austin Custom Brass horn, maybe he would take it on consignment or trade for a pro quality horn later?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing it out there to consider if your budget is tight. I got a Chinese C stencilhorn a while back on eBay because I didn't want to have a couple grand tied up in something I was just going to piddle around with if I didn't have to so took a gamble to see how one played.

I can't say I have any complaints aside from the couple of caveats I offer below. It's capable of playing with a singing, open sound, has nice, buttery-smooth valves. It's the second C trumpet I've played - the first one was an older Bach Strad in a repair shop the shop owner wanted me to try. Based on my 10 - 15 minutes or so of playing the Bach I can't say this one feels inferior. Has a bright sound compared to my Bb horns similar to what I noticed with that Strad and like that Strad the blow is different than any of my Bb horns in a way that's hard to verbalize. Don't know what the bore is. I paid right around $300 for it in silver plate - nice plating job too. It has no brand markings on it whatsoever, which I actually like - gives it a clean look.

It's not going to impress anyone who asks what its origins are, a trumpet teacher might give you grief about it perhaps just out of prejudice. I don't know if anyone would complain about the sound if they heard it without knowing anything about it.

I need to add a couple of caveats - when I got it, it wasn't flawless. I had to remove the mouthpiece receiver and drill the leapipe end out a tad to shorten the horn a bit since it was a hair below in-tune with the main tuning slide pulled all the way in and the mouthpiece gap was ridiculously large. Which means I had to remove, drill out and resolder the receiver and remove and resolder the associated brace. If I had paid someone to do what I did my guess is it would probably be a couple hundred or so. Of course another one might not have this issue, it might have just been a QC issue on this particular horn.

The other caveat is while I feel I scored with this one after making the previously mentioned tweak to it I can't guarantee that another eBay stencilhorn made years apart from mine, maybe not even in the same factory is going to have the same basic characteristics.

A couple of examples of it using a Tascam recorder in my living room. The first one is just noodling around with it. I added some reverb on the abbreviated "Pictures" sample. I land kind of hard on a few of the attacks and it wouldn't win me a chair with the NY Phil but it gives an idea what it can sound like on orchestral literature. One of these days I need to put in some intense work on some excerpts and record them in a nicer space like a church or something.

I was using a Stork Custom Vacchiano 2D on both.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-MRvNJHwRDREEZnQ4QQDHaALOjI6BXS1/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1APQtGXmNw2LbdH-sWoqe_vTbx2jiOPy7/view?usp=sharing

Just going by appearances this one looks very similar though not identical in every detail to mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385437383364

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if the OP checks back at some point …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
This ebay listing might interest you. It's an excellent instrument that looks to be in good shape. As others have mentioned, getting a good instrument at a lower price than this would involve quite a bit of luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326050480124?

I'm not going to comment or the condition or price of this one, as it is not my place to do so, but apart from mine being lacquered and having a A (229) bell (I've never heard of an A7), this is the C trumpet I have.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
This is probably the lowest you'll find on the decent to good end of things:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/908980343592511/

Also, it being an Austin Custom Brass horn, maybe he would take it on consignment or trade for a pro quality horn later?

I've never used the "Friends and family" option for PayPal but from what I understand you want to avoid it unless it's someone you know and trust - no PayPal protections if they turn out to be a scammer.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: