• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Carolbrass Phat Puppy Flugelhorn Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drmayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: New Carolbrass Phat Puppy Flugelhorn Review Reply with quote

Just hit youtube 5 hours ago or so from D.B:

Link

Interesting that he likes the trumpet mouthpiece with it. I tend towards the flugelhorn mouthpiece with it...
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carolbrass Phat Puppy Flugelhorn Review Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. It’s an interesting video (he has a very pleasant, relaxed way of talking about things) but a little light on actual playing imho. He does have a nice sound though.
drmayne wrote:
Interesting that he likes the trumpet mouthpiece with it.

Indeed. But it seems to sound how he wants it to, so I suppose it makes sense for him. I’ve been leaning more towards the ‘classical’ (European?) flugel sound over the ‘smokey jazz’ sound. I wonder how the Phat Puppy would sound with a Wick mouthpiece?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
drmayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Carolbrass Phat Puppy Flugelhorn Review Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. It’s an interesting video (he has a very pleasant, relaxed way of talking about things) but a little light on actual playing imho. He does have a nice sound though.

Agreed, would have liked to have heard more playing.

Quote:
I wonder how the Phat Puppy would sound with a Wick mouthpiece?

Not sure. I've played a number of flugel mouthpieces with it (but not a Wick) and have settled on a GR67FL*** and a Flip Oakes Xtreme with it. I can get both a smokey jazz sound or something like the European sound with the GR67FL*** - while the FO Xtreme is in a league of its own. All of the flugel pieces I've tried with it, I do sound quite different with a trumpet mouthpiece on it (and I do have a pretty dark tone on the trumpet as well as D.B. ). And the Phat Puppy sounds a bit weird at the higher end with a trumpet mouthpiece at least for me.

The stock Carolbrass 3C flugel mouthpiece that comes with it, btw, really doesn't sound that bad, but not my preferred size.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently obtained a Taylor version of the Phat Puppy and have tried it with a Wick 4FL. I’ve also tried it with several other mouthpieces. The Taylor mouthpiece that came with the horn looks, plays and sounds very much like the Wick. They are both very deep with large throats and both produce dark mellow tones. Their sounds are not identical but very similar. In contrast, when played with a Bach 7C FL, a much shallower mouthpiece with a smaller throat the horn brightens up considerably. It doesn’t sound like a cornet but is tending more in that direction. I didn’t try any trumpet mouthpieces as the Taylor horn only came with a single fluegelhorn lead pipe. What sounds best I think is a matter of taste. I’ve not played the Carol version of the Phatt Puppy so I’m not sure how these comments carry over to it.
drmayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I didn’t try any trumpet mouthpieces as the Taylor horn only came with a single fluegelhorn lead pipe.

Just curious, but what type (morse) flugel mouthpiece does the Taylor horn use ?

Thanks
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be the small (Bach) Morse taper. I think this is what Carol uses as well.
drmayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/6K7Xcg-uFBk?feature=shared

Another review - from Trent Austin. He seems to prefer a trumpet mouthpiece as well, and sounds great with it…
drmayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
It appears to be the small (Bach) Morse taper. I think this is what Carol uses as well.

CarolBrass one will take a small and large morse taper. I don't have a French Couesnon one to try though, so don't know there.
drmayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmayne wrote:
CarolBrass one will take a small and large morse taper. I don't have a French Couesnon one to try though, so don't know there.

I got this back from CarolBrass when I asked about the Couesnon/French taper size:

"Thanks for your inquiry. We'll suggest using CarolBrass mouthpiece or Denis Wick mouthpiece.

Couesnon mouthpiece is too thin for Phat Puppy flugelhorn."

Perhaps that answers that. And they recommend a Wick, fwiw.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to expand and clarify my earlier post a bit. While the receiver for my Taylor Phat Puppy is intended for a small Morse taper mouthpiece it is also possible to use a large Morse taper mouthpiece as well. The slightly larger shank mouthpiece just doesn’t insert quite as far, about 5/8 inch as opposed to 7/8 inch. Since there is no step in the receiver, and because there is plenty of adjustment for tuning, I don’t think the difference in insertion depth has any real effect on playing.

As far as using trumpet mouthpieces I have no doubt that the usual shallow cup trumpet mouthpiece would brighten the sound. I have used a fairly shallow cup CG3 cornet mouthpiece with an adapter in my horn and it brightens it up considerably as compared with the other fluegelhorn mouthpieces. Not quite as bright as a cornet but approaching it. The bottom line is, the horn can have a very wide tonal palette depending on the mouthpiece and probably the player. What sounds best is up to the individual artist and the sound they are looking for.
drmayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent with a longer review (as he promised in the shorts video) using a flugel mouthpiece:

Link
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I posted a search for someone that had played the Carol Brass versus the original Taylor version of the Phat Puppy asking for a comparison. No one responded. I ended up buying a used Taylor version from Austin Custom Brass and couldn't be happier but still wonder about differences in sound and playability. They are not identical, especially with respect to the bell and bracing. The bell materials and construction are different and the Taylor that I have has a donut shaped brace from the bell back to the lead pipe that is not present on the Carol Brass version. I don't expect Trent to comment but I'm still interested as these differences should be significant if one is to believe much of the discussion about materials and bracing that can be found on this site.
drmayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I don't expect Trent to comment but I'm still interested as these differences should be significant if one is to believe much of the discussion about materials and bracing that can be found on this site.

I would guess Trent has played them both - but I doubt he reads this (or any forums here on TH, I've seen posts in the past saying ACB was leaving TH for various reasons).

At any rate, since you are an ACB customer, and he has likely played both horns now, I'd send them a note and ask them about the differences - I would guess you would likely get an answer there.

Wish I could help more here - I'd be interested in knowing the differences as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: