• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big Band Lead Sound

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought today. All of our music is in a file on Google. I can access all of the first trumpet parts. Time to start working them up for me to play and give my friend a little challenge.

This band has a custom for the director to play 4th trumpet. That way at all the rehearsals, the directer doesn't really need to play and can concentrate on everything going on. Has anyone here done both directing and playing lead?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Just had a thought today. All of our music is in a file on Google. I can access all of the first trumpet parts. Time to start working them up for me to play and give my friend a little challenge.

This band has a custom for the director to play 4th trumpet. That way at all the rehearsals, the directer doesn't really need to play and can concentrate on everything going on. Has anyone here done both directing and playing lead?

Over the years I've watched a couple of "would be" directors fail miserably at trying to do lead trpt and be musical director. Usually the lead guy wants no part of the directing job. Too much of a demotion.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

This band has a custom for the director to play 4th trumpet. That way at all the rehearsals, the director doesn't really need to play and can concentrate on everything going on.

Pete Barbutti - the Fourth trumpet player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnsEZ9q2hOc

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Richard III wrote:

This band has a custom for the director to play 4th trumpet. That way at all the rehearsals, the director doesn't really need to play and can concentrate on everything going on.

Pete Barbutti - the Fourth trumpet player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnsEZ9q2hOc

Great routine.

We just had a gig, my first time playing 4th trumpet. It was a ton of nothing and then double the lead and then back to a whole lot of nothing.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think twice about calling harmony parts "nothing". A Lead Trumpet player doth not a big band make.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
CheapHornGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 4th in college. Loved it. One song even had a solo written for the 4th trumpet. It was my lone moment to outshine the lead guy, who never spoke a single word to me.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Over the years I've watched a couple of "would be" directors fail miserably at trying to do lead trpt and be musical director. Usually the lead guy wants no part of the directing job. Too much of a demotion.

My first thought when I saw this is you need to be a really strong player such that the lead part is 2nd nature to you. Bill Chase could pull off being the primary lead player, primary soloist and leader but he was Bill Chase. And he had a really strong group of players.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheapHornGuy wrote:
I played 4th in college. Loved it. One song even had a solo written for the 4th trumpet. It was my lone moment to outshine the lead guy, who never spoke a single word to me.

When I was coming up, the standard Jazz chair was 4th not the 2nd, like most bands do today.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this on TH once. I don't know who wrote it originally: If you walk into a large ballroom where a big band is playing and your first impression is, "Wow, what a great lead trpt". Then what you're hearing is not necessarily good lead trpt playing. Lead trpt is not about over powering the ensemble unless it's a solo. Or, if your first impression is, "Wow listen to that trpt section". Then it is still not a great band. The rule of a great ensemble is not a show case for any one section or player, (unless it's part of the arrangement). Ensemble balance should be attained from an audience perspective as opposed to the lead trpt chair. And the last point was- playing effective lead is not necessarily playing louder than everyone else.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
I read this on TH once. I don't know who wrote it originally: If you walk into a large ballroom where a big band is playing and your first impression is, "Wow, what a great lead trpt". Then what you're hearing is not necessarily good lead trpt playing. Lead trpt is not about over powering the ensemble unless it's a solo. Or, if your first impression is, "Wow listen to that trpt section". Then it is still not a great band. The rule of a great ensemble is not a show case for any one section or player, (unless it's part of the arrangement). Ensemble balance should be attained from an audience perspective as opposed to the lead trpt chair. And the last point was- playing effective lead is not necessarily playing louder than everyone else.

I get what you are saying and it is a very fine line to be just enough and not too much. I liken it to hearing a chord. I want to hear the whole chord, each note balanced and lending its own special nuance to the chord. Lacking that note, something seems wrong. Too often that is what happens with ensembles.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:

Way too overgeneralized a statement - there are times the lead trumpet or trumpet section is supposed to be front and center.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
LadFree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the bands Ive played with, toured with,sat in a broadway pit with, recorded with, this is the way it always goes; The lead player has the last word on volume, length of notes, cut offs,where to lay back, etc. The sections job is to match exactly what the lead player does with those things..sure, where theres a conductor, they can suggest things, like (usually) not so loud here,etc.
When im playing lead, I like the section to match me volume wise..a nice feeling of support. There are guys in NYC that are fantastic at section playing,and a lead player will suggest them for the gig to be..I played a lot with
one of the world class lead players,and it got to where I realized where he might be a shade low in the pitch on a certain note, I would match that on my note too,and he requested me many times for some great gigs,for many years.
So the pecking order is,lead player hired,and they should be trusted to do these things. If its not up to the conductors specifications, then they should just get another lead player..i`ve never heard of a 4th chair player telling the lead player what mouthpiece to play..And when everythings right, the only conversation might just be about that blond in the front row!
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: MPs Reply with quote

I love these mouthpiece dives, so interesting and the schadenfreude is palpable ........

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP -

You may try to record the band and play it back for them. Maybe he will hear that he is not cutting through w/ brilliance. The set list can persuade him…. Call some taxing charts or rep sections and see if he sinks or swims.

Even if he swtched to a smaller cup or a concave/convex shape he may not react well (lips bottom out,,,, does not back off on air quantity etc.) or his embochure may take time to adjust.

Sometimes a personnel change is needed……
TJTS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadFree wrote:
In all the bands Ive played with, toured with,sat in a broadway pit with, recorded with, this is the way it always goes; The lead player has the last word on volume, length of notes, cut offs,where to lay back, etc. The sections job is to match exactly what the lead player does with those things..sure, where theres a conductor, they can suggest things, like (usually) not so loud here,etc.
When im playing lead, I like the section to match me volume wise..a nice feeling of support. There are guys in NYC that are fantastic at section playing,and a lead player will suggest them for the gig to be..I played a lot with
one of the world class lead players,and it got to where I realized where he might be a shade low in the pitch on a certain note, I would match that on my note too,and he requested me many times for some great gigs,for many years.
So the pecking order is,lead player hired,and they should be trusted to do these things. If its not up to the conductors specifications, then they should just get another lead player..i`ve never heard of a 4th chair player telling the lead player what mouthpiece to play..And when everythings right, the only conversation might just be about that blond in the front row!

This
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
To the OP -

You may try to record the band and play it back for them. Maybe he will hear that he is not cutting through w/ brilliance. The set list can persuade him…. Call some taxing charts or rep sections and see if he sinks or swims.

Even if he swtched to a smaller cup or a concave/convex shape he may not react well (lips bottom out,,,, does not back off on air quantity etc.) or his embochure may take time to adjust.

Sometimes a personnel change is needed……

I will be recording the next practice this coming Monday. Nothing says reality like hearing it from the other side of the bell.

The band is also exploring more trumpet subs as we have two players reaching an age where performance is starting to detiorate, with the goal that the subs become regulars when possible.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it will all work out.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make the call to the bull pen already
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
make the call to the bull pen already

We are fresh out of pitchers.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then that might be a problem for sure
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: