• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for Regent Cornet Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece for Regent Cornet Question Reply with quote

Hello All. I recently acquired a Regent cornet s/n 22635. According to the serial number, looks like it was manufactured around 1940. It is in fantastic condition! Just needed to be soaked clean & polished. Replaced the springs & felts. It looks brand new, no dents, etc. Who ever had this horn took good care of it.

MOUTHPIECE: It came with a Regent 1 mp. It just doesn't work for me. I am currently using a Bach 3E on my trumpet. I see that Bach has a 3E mp for cornet. This is my though. I don't want to use a drastically different mp for the cornet vs the trumpet, since I'm progressing nicely on trumpet with the 3E. So, should I get the same 3E but the cornet version? Any thoughts from you guys that play both a cornet & trumpet? Does it make sense not to "confuse" my embouchure by sticking to the same mp? THANKS!!
hplpII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I once had a Regent cornet. They were extremely well-built and robust instruments.

Having matched cornet and trumpet mouthpieces does make sense for many people, but it might not work in your case, as a Bach 3E is very shallow and unlikely to work well with a traditional British cornet. You could try it, or alternatively explore a compromise by finding a cornet mouthpiece with a similar rim feel to your 3E, but a deeper cup.

Good luck!
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess there's one way to find out. I'll have to try it. Anyone else out there that plays a trumpet & cornet that has any impute?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a logic of using the same moutpiece. However, trumpet and cornet are not played the same way. I would say finding a mouthpiece with the same diameter makes sense.

I have many mouthpieces that have the same cup for trumpet and cornet. What may work for cornet may not work for trumpet, and vice versa, even if each of the horns have the same bore size and general bell and metal thickness. Indeed I have matching pairs from multiple instrument makers. But they are not the same. The don't play or feel the same.

Plus hopefully, you should not be trying to achieve the same sound from each horn, right?

Now, if one is learning an instrument, they should be spending all their time on that instrument. Does learning two instruments make sense? Remember, I said they are different instruments and are played differently. Resistence is difference, focus of sound and where you visualize projecting the sound is different, and indeed your embouchure will be a little different, even if you don't realize it. Will that affect your progress learning a new instrument?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you are referring to made by Ohio Band Inst Co.

https://contemporacorner.com/cornets/regent-cornets/

rather than the Boosey and Hawkes Regent cornet

The thing to watch is the mouthpiece/leadpipe gap. Some of the older cornets used a smaller diameter shank than current Bach mouthpieces and will give too much gap making the horn harsh sounding when Bachs are used. Your 3E has a shallow cup but a very large backbore.

You can try a Bach 3E but you might also try a Yamaha CR-14B4L (long model), a Schilke 15B, or Marcinkiewicz 300 series (start with the 308). The Marcinkiewicz 300 series mouthpieces all have huge backbores, almost as large as your Bach 3E and have 14 or so different cup depths to choose from. I also think they insert a little farther
BACH 3E vs. MARCINKIEWICZ 308 1.5C

All of the above mouthpieces are a bit deeper than your E cup - but not British Band cornet deep
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece. Your American style Regent cornet should respond well to it and give a slightly more "vocal" tone than your trumpet and the rim will be quite similar to your 3E, with a slightly deeper. "bowl" to the cup. This setup is VERY different from the British Brass Band cornets everyone seems to focus on, and frankly, more familiar to your trumpet chops.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer questions (& thanks for the responses gentlemen); no I am not trying to achieve the same sound. Both the Regent & my trumpet sound different, with the Regent more mellow with what I can get out of the Regent 1 mouthpiece. (Long V cup).

Though, from what I read, a long cornet like this Regent, will sound more like a trumpet than a shepherds hook cornet. Reason I want the same mouthpiece is because I've gotten use to the 3E & I don't want to change my embouchure on any other mp. I want some consistency, not in the sound because I understand the difference between these 2 horns.

Yes, it's the model TBD 1939.; NOT the Boosey and Hawkes Regent cornet. The shank is very short on the Regent 1 (long V cup too). I guess I'll start with the 3E & see if it works, but see if I have to try any others like a 3C. Just want to be able to return them if they don't work THANKS!!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cornet, even an American long cornet, is a fundamentally different instrument compared to a trumpet. Even if the internal tapers are largely the same, the length of the whole leadpipe assembly is longer and the bell is shorter, changing the location of the valve block in the air column. The cornet is shorter, meaning the bell is closer to your ears and the feedback you hear is completely different. And regardless if the venturi (initial small end) of the leadpipe is smaller or not, the mouthpiece itself is shorter, which changes stuff too.

All this is to say that you shouldn't expect the cornet the play exactly like your trumpet, even with the same mouthpiece.

From another thread, it sounds like you're going to audition 3E and 3D mouthpieces on the cornet. If either of those makes you happy, great and have fun. If not, I would encourage you to give the deeper cups a trial as well to see if one "feels" more like the 3E in the trumpet.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it´s a good idea to use rather similar mouthpieces if you alternate between cornet and trumpet. Took me a rather long time before reaching this conclusion, prior to doing so I had huge problems. For me the main variable is the diameter, ´round 17 mm. So find out what´s yours!. Second important variable for me is the shape of the rim; I need somewhat rounded rims. Flatter rims stall the circulation.

The setting is another variable - and with that the necessary range. I mostly play lead and front row (=in the brass band) - being absolute opposites. I solved this by doing all my practicising on the same mouthpiece (tp version/ cornet version) - a Schilke 143D3 (custom made rather deep) keeping this in the brass band but for lead Schilke 14B. The latter seems to be quite unusual when playing lead. Most lead guys I meet in other bands tend so use more shallow mouthpieces. Which is out of question in a brass band.

Now - when I was handed a Regent cornet back in the day I also got a Cosicup mouthpiece. I sincerely doubt that these are available today.

But - find yourself a fitting rim and diameter then decide what kind of cup which should be related to the setting. Or settings!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seymor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: