• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader? Reply with quote

My kid has been taking private lessons for 2 years on a $100 Amazon trumpet. He's shown the ability to be careful with it and intends to continue lessons, practicing 4-5 days a week and playing in school. I think he gets a decent tone, and can play to high f on the staff consistently and high g on the staff depending on the day. From browsing here, the community is not fond of intermediate horns, with the most common advice to get used pro level horn. Curious to hear your opinions on whether this applies to kids. If cost is not a factor for me, are there downsides for a developing student to go from a beginner instrument to something like a Xeno, Shew Z, pro level Bach, or other equivalent?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your son is careful and motivated, and cost is not an issue, why not?

Quote:
That's what I want to know! have seen one off comments, for example, that pro horns could be too heavy for kids, but lighter weight and/or free blowing horns may hinder proper development. I don't play so don't know if these are valid things to consider, or just relatively minor points and cost is the only real barrier for most.

Edit: Sorry. My original response could have been clearer. A better way to have put it would have been "Given that your son is careful and motivated, and cost is not an issue for you, then I cannot think of a compelling reason why you should not get your son a professional trumpet."

I'd recommend a mainstream model like a Bach 18037 or a Yamaha 8335II, though there are many, many other fine instruments available. I'd note that the Getzen 700S Eterna II, while labeled an "intermediate" trumpet is a durable and very high quality instrument (and the Getzen pro models are top quality as well). I hope he enjoys whatever you pick for him.

Last edited by Dayton on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
jkrz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If your son is careful and motivated, and cost is not an issue, why not?

That's what I want to know! have seen one off comments, for example, that pro horns could be too heavy for kids, but lighter weight and/or free blowing horns may hinder proper development. I don't play so don't know if these are valid things to consider, or just relatively minor points and cost is the only real barrier for most.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cost isn't an issue there's no downside. It's important that an instrument works well mechanically and that it's capable of sounding better as the student improves.

You'll get endless suggestions for horns and there are "student" horns that play great too - in fact he might want such a horn for a second instrument if he does marching band where damage is more likely so he doesn't ding up an expensive instrument. I like my Besson 1000 that I paid under $200 for on eBay.

No matter what you get he's not locked into it for life. As he gets better and can tell the difference he might find something he likes better.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At his age, his peers are highly likely to damage his instrument whether by accident or malicious intent. He might take great care of the instrument on his own, but the middle school band environment is chaotic, and I imagine he would be extremely upset if his instrument got damaged at school. If you want to buy a professional trumpet for your young student, a pre-owned Xeno or Bach Strad would be the best choices. The Shew Z is a specialized design, and the bell is very light and fragile. You might also want to consider the Jupiter XO Brass 1602, as it is a Bach-derived design made to a very high standard. They tend to be a bit less expensive than a Yamaha and have comparable quality.

As an aside, if you decide to buy a professional instrument for your kid, you might want to keep the nice horn at home and send them to school with their student model. The pro horn can be played at concerts, recitals, and lessons, but you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged in the day-to-day chaos of middle school band.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
At his age, his peers are highly likely to damage his instrument whether by accident or malicious intent. He might take great care of the instrument on his own, but the middle school band environment is chaotic, and I imagine he would be extremely upset if his instrument got damaged at school. If you want to buy a professional trumpet for your young student, a pre-owned Xeno or Bach Strad would be the best choices. The Shew Z is a specialized design, and the bell is very light and fragile. You might also want to consider the Jupiter XO Brass 1602, as it is a Bach-derived design made to a very high standard. They tend to be a bit less expensive than a Yamaha and have comparable quality.

As an aside, if you decide to buy a professional instrument for your kid, you might want to keep the nice horn at home and send them to school with their student model. The pro horn can be played at concerts, recitals, and lessons, but you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged in the day-to-day chaos of middle school band.

Excellent points.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jkrz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

Excellent point and suggestion, thank you!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a middle & high school band director.....NO! As other posters have said, even if your kid is very conscientious, others in the class probably aren't.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
jkrz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
The Shew Z is a specialized design, and the bell is very light and fragile. You might also want to consider the Jupiter XO Brass 1602, as it is a Bach-derived design made to a very high standard. They tend to be a bit less expensive than a Yamaha and have comparable quality.

I've been looking at XO Brass - so the 1600 Ingram/ 1602 LTR that have been highly praised on these forums would also be considered more specialized, and better bet to go with the more standard 1602?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
Goby wrote:
The Shew Z is a specialized design, and the bell is very light and fragile. You might also want to consider the Jupiter XO Brass 1602, as it is a Bach-derived design made to a very high standard. They tend to be a bit less expensive than a Yamaha and have comparable quality.

I've been looking at XO Brass - so the 1600 Ingram/ 1602 LTR that have been highly praised on these forums would also be considered more specialized, and better bet to go with the more standard 1602?

The 1600 Ingram is an artist model like the Shew Z which is designed for a very specific application (commercial and lead trumpet playing). I would recommend the standard 1602. I haven't tried the lightweight or the reversed leadpipe variant, but I owned a standard 1602 and was very impressed with the quality and playability. I would recommend it to a student over a Bach Strad.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.

Most of the bias against intermediate horns is from them being priced in-line with a used pro horn, but being built like a student instrument. I would consider a pre-owned pro horn to be a much better value than a brand new intermediate instrument. There are some "intermediate" models from years past that hold up well (the original Bach Mercedes, some Yamahas, etc.), but I would have a hard time recommending a family of a young student take the time to track one down when there are plenty of pre-owned modern pro horns available at a reasonable price.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO !
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this age durability is everything.

Two horns just leads to confusion in approach when playing. Keep it consistent.

Stay with the sturdy student level horn. I could literally have done anything in life with an Olds Ambassador. Great valves. Solid horn.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your son was in the 9th grade, an intermediate trumpet would be a bit of a waste of money.

5th grade? A gently used intermediate trumpet in the $800 to $900 price range is something you should consider. Getzen 700, Conn 52B, Bach 200 -
shiny silver plated with 1st slide hook or trigger. Spend another $100 or so for a good valve alignment. That leaves a lot of spare cash for more private lessons and a professional mouthpiece. Freshman year would be a good time to consider a "forever" pro trumpet. The intermediate trumpet then becomes the marching band horn or back-up.

While I might think a dented, tarnished un-lacquered Bach Strad with a Blackburn leadpipe and a Reeves valve alignment for $1200 was a great deal - it's a tough sell to a 5th grader.

Oh - this is really a discussion you should have with your son's private teacher.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live there but i go to TMEA every year, and I can tell you that in Texas it's NORMAL for beginners to start on pro horns.

So I guess it depends on where you are, prevailing attitudes, how the other kids are, etc. Personally I would go with the pro horn at home and some lesser horn at school. Isn't that what string players do?

My very first horn was an Olds Recording (trombone), and although it had drawbacks being front-heavy for an 8 year old, I'm very glad I didn't start on the typical beginner horn.
lclebsch215

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTR 2330 is a solid horn and has the ability to use a lyre and flip folder for marching band.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there’s an older Yamaha YTR 732 in the Marketplace. That might be a good used pro horn and it’s a medium bore.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to a $100 Amazon horn, a beginner Getzen 300 or 400 will be top line, and much more sturdy in the sections at school. I was a director years ago, but I often buy used beginner horns for friends needing them for beginners these days. The inexpensive Amazon stuff doesn't hold up, but the better line student horns are quite durable and worth repairing. And usually have a better sound.

Even the current lowest line Yamahas and even the Conn conglomerate lines are less durable.

I also feel the "lead" player specialty horns may not blend well in a young band.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussions like this always leave me wondering: what on earth are you folks doing with your horns? I played the same horn from 2nd grade to university and it never had a ding or damage. The only thing I can remember is that I once broke off a finger button and that at some point (of course) the silver plating started to wear.

Same goes for ALL the people I played with as a kid - I honestly can’t remember anyone with a seriously damaged horn. So, my personal take is: find the best horn for your kid - he should definitely try them. It may be possible he likes a pro horn; it may also be possible he likes a student or intermediate horn better.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: