• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, so much waffle.

1. Is there a downside to playing on a better instrument. No. Intermediate instruments are built down to a price point (of the pro models are inflated vastly. Take your pick)

Could there be an issue with damage at school? Yes. (Make sure the band director knows you will rain holy hell on him and the school if there's malicious damage and that even accidental damage gets paid for by the person responsible. If the band director can't teach this to the kids, then find a better band director)

What to buy? Go bog standard, nothing special, nothing for jazz, or classical etc. I hate to say it, a Bach 37 or 43 or a Yamaha 6335/8335. Plain vanilla boring, and let your kid go build their playing.

After that, encourage your kid 10 000 % and let him make music.

cheers

Andy
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
If your son was in the 9th grade, an intermediate trumpet would be a bit of a waste of money.

5th grade? A gently used intermediate trumpet in the $800 to $900 price range is something you should consider. Getzen 700, Conn 52B, Bach 200 -
shiny silver plated with 1st slide hook or trigger. Spend another $100 or so for a good valve alignment. That leaves a lot of spare cash for more private lessons and a professional mouthpiece. Freshman year would be a good time to consider a "forever" pro trumpet. The intermediate trumpet then becomes the marching band horn or back-up.

While I might think a dented, tarnished un-lacquered Bach Strad with a Blackburn leadpipe and a Reeves valve alignment for $1200 was a great deal - it's a tough sell to a 5th grader.

Oh - this is really a discussion you should have with your son's private teacher.

^^ This. Given the probability that any horn will be damaged as your son transitions through middle school, you should consider how much money to put at risk.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an aside with brassnose. While some students' horns undoubtably do get dented, I also think this point is exaggerated. I'm not saying not to consider it, just to not be disproportionately so. I went from elementary through college, professionally touring, playing clubs etc., never got a dent. And, no, I'm not anal about protection, just normal use.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.

+1

And the middle school teacher who posted should also be paid attention to, he knows what goes on. The latest Yamaha 200ADII is a good student horn. They seemed to have worked out the playability issues. Not to say earlier models don't play, they do, but the newer ones I have worked on play better.

Another thing that parents do is have two instruments for the child - a student horn for every day school work, and a better instrument that stays at home for practice and school concerts.
https://yourbrass.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two horns? Broh, I was lucky enough to have one.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a middle school band director for 36 years. I’m also a trumpet player who got my first Bach Strad 37 in sixth grade. Yes, it had its share of scratches and dents(nothing major). I had it from sixth grade to the end of my Master’s program. By all means, just do it and have him be as careful as he can be, but expect some mishaps.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishaps can certainly occur in school band situations. When Wayne Bergeron was in junior high school, he played french horn in the band. One day he came to school and the bandroom had been broken into the night before, and his french horn was among the instruments that were stolen. That's how he became a trumpet player.
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. This discussion is precisely what I was hoping for - eliciting opinions and reasoning of those that have gone through the experience and are far more knowledgeable than myself.

Since it was raised above, private teacher initially suggested an intermediate horn as a good next step, but then mentioned getting a Bach or a Xeno, which confused me and sent me into research mode. One of the reasons I'm seeking guidance from internet strangers is that the teacher is young and my impression is that all of his students are elementary school age learning how to play, so he may not have a lot of experience seeing what might work or not work as students progress. We may consider finding a more seasoned instructor in the future, but are currently happy.

Even if cost were an important factor, I'd still lean towards a used pro horn vs a new or used intermediate instrument, so looks like that's what we'll do.

As to durability issues - someone mentioned silver plated might be a better option vs lacquer. I'll do some research on this issue, but feel free to chime in if you agree or disagree...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
still lean towards a used pro horn vs a new or used intermediate instrument, so looks like that's what we'll do.

As to durability issues - someone mentioned silver plated might be a better option vs lacquer. I'll do some research on this issue, but feel free to chime in if you agree or disagree...

Consider the weight of the horn. If that (and silver) is a factor, consider a used Benge 3X. I think they're around $1,200.00, and they are a professional horn. If you go that route, make sure it's a Benge and not UMI made horn. Other forum members could jump in if I'm wrong, but a real Benge will say Burbank or L.A. not USA.

There are Chicago Benges but I think, price-wise, they're not in the category of a Burbank or L.A. Your child won't know the difference, anyway. Also, if you do go for a Benge, be sure to check the horn's intonation, which can vary from horn to horn.

(If you decide to go that route, give me a PM.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:

-----------------------------------------
In some circumstances, peer pressure in school groups can influence the choice. I suggest talking with the middle school band director to get their input - even if the band director doesn't have a preference, ask about whether it's a 'topic of discussion' among the students.

If the current instrument is not showing any unusually rapid deterioration of the finish (which might be caused by the player's body chemistry), then I doubt there would be much of a durability difference between silver plate and lacquer.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your son expressed an interest in getting another horn? If not, Iw ould wait until he feels like he needs a better horn. By then he might know what brand of horn he is interested in. The horn he has now might be OK for the time being.
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Has your son expressed an interest in getting another horn? If not, Iw ould wait until he feels like he needs a better horn. By then he might know what brand of horn he is interested in. The horn he has now might be OK for the time being.

No, but valves are starting to stick more frequently, and given that he's been playing on it a a couple years I'm thinking the end could be near. While we're not in a rush, he'll have a set of auditions in January 2025 so I'm thinking he'll need a new instrument by then and will need time before that to get acclimated.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.
Another thing that parents do is have two instruments for the child - a student horn for every day school work, and a better instrument that stays at home for practice and school concerts.

kehaulani wrote:
Two horns? Broh, I was lucky enough to have one.

This is what I did for my son. Although the school trumpet was a older pro horn and the home/concert one was new.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never hurts to have two horns for the times one needs work and the shop has a 3 week backlog.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Never hurts to have two horns for the times one needs work and the shop has a 3 week backlog.

I know everyone's experiences are different. Everytime I find a horn I like, the words above come into my mind. So I buy a second one of the same model. Keep in mind these are vintage horns so I also worry that I'll never find another one.

But, I've never needed the second one of any of them. Nothing has ever gone wrong. None of them ever broke. So, I've started to sell off the "just in case" horns.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader? Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
My kid has been taking private lessons for 2 years on a $100 Amazon trumpet. He's shown the ability to be careful with it and intends to continue lessons, practicing 4-5 days a week and playing in school. .... If cost is not a factor for me, are there downsides for a developing student to go from a beginner instrument to something like a Xeno, Shew Z, pro level Bach, or other equivalent?

1. Ask his private teacher.
2. If the kid is showing passion and promise, then - subject to what you hear from his teacher - I'd say go for it!

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02:

My son started playing in 6th grade on an old King cornet I had laying around. He was doing fine with it and tried to take good care of it, but one day he was digging through his case for something and had set the horn on the carpet next to it. Some goofball tuba player who was big for his age lumbered by and accidentally stepped on it. The horn was totaled and I had no budget to buy him another one. So I "loaned" him my spare trumpet, which was a 1983 Claude Gordon Selmer. He worked hard to take good care of it and now at age 29 is still playing it.

But my son is an anomaly, I think. Beginner horns are built tough for a reason, because a nice horn in the hands of the average kid (not the OP's kid, but the average kid) after a couple of years or so can end up looking like he used it for a catchers mitt!

I used to cringe at my son's band concerts when he'd walk on or off the stage with that CG Selmer and other kids would be shuffling around with chairs and stands and horns and I could hear the dings and clunks from all over the stage. And in spite of his efforts to care for it, we did need to have some major work done on the horn before he took it to college with him.

I'd recommend an Olds Ambassador from the 1960's. There are still some out there on eBay and occasionally in the TH marketplace. They can take a beating and they sound infinitely better and are more easy to play than a $100 trumpet that would likely be better as the base for a lamp. I would agree with the posters who said a Getzen 700 (I love mine!) would be good a few years down the road, and a Bach Strad or other pro horn would be a good choice for a serious high schooler.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Doug Elliott wrote:

I know everyone's experiences are different. Everytime I find a horn I like, the words above come into my mind. So I buy a second one of the same model. Keep in mind these are vintage horns so I also worry that I'll never find another one.

But, I've never needed the second one of any of them. Nothing has ever gone wrong. None of them ever broke. So, I've started to sell off the "just in case" horns.

I never needed a backup horn until my primary slipped from my hands telescoping the bell on the concrete floor backstage just twenty minutes before going on local live TV in a trumpet trio.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
Irving wrote:
Has your son expressed an interest in getting another horn? If not, I would wait until he feels like he needs a better horn. By then he might know what brand of horn he is interested in. The horn he has now might be OK for the time being.

No, but valves are starting to stick more frequently, and given that he's been playing on it a a couple years I'm thinking the end could be near. While we're not in a rush, he'll have a set of auditions in January 2025 so I'm thinking he'll need a new instrument by then and will need time before that to get acclimated.

There's nothing wrong with getting your son a pro level horn. It's certainly not going to set him back and he might be inspired by a new horn to practice/study the horn more. There are really no drawbacks in terms of playing trumpet.

All that being said, as long as he's playing a decent horn in good working condition the horn is not going to be the cause of any developmental problems. He can advance on a horn fitting that description just as quickly as he can advance on any pro horn.

You say that the valves are sticking more frequently on his current horn. Most of the time that is a maintenance issue and not a horn mechanics issue but if it really is a horn mechanics issue then certainly that is a good reason for him to have a new horn or a used horn in good working order.

I think that assuming that some other kid is going to destroy your son's horn and, for that reason, denying your son a better horn is a bit over-reactive. I played a new Burbank Benge 3X in high school, carried it around in a soft gig bag and it sustained no damage whatsoever until 20 years later when it was damaged in a recording studio by a trombone player knocking it over on its stand. It dented the second valve slide and knocked off one of the nibs on the slide. Things like that can happen. It wasn't difficult to fix. If the possibility of damage is a serious concern he can play his existing horn at school and practice/study/perform on his new horn. Problem solved.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
"just in case" horns.

See what you did there 😁
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: