• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bobby Shew Q - air hitting top lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Bobby Shew Q - air hitting top lip Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone can clarify the following point from Bobby Shew's article:

Quote:
The air actually initially aims at the surface of the top lip, hopefully as far forward as sensibly possible.

Source: https://www.bobbyshew.com/main.html?pgid=7&art_artcl_id=8#:~:text=The%20air%2C%20once%20compressed%2C%20must,of%20the%20air%20hitting%20it.

It's the "as far forward as sensibly possible" part that I'm not quite following.

Can anyone clarify for me from having had lessons with Bobby?

P.s. Let's try and avoid speculation/guesses as to the meaning as that will just confuse things further.[/b]
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Destructo
i know Bobby since 1993, and studied with him.
This is just in relationship with the vibration creation, and is in the chapter of aperture control, where Bobby stresses the importance of that control and of not pinching the lips to create a good sound.
To enter deeper in the physics of this sentence will not really help you in concrete.
But if you do want to know exactly what Bobby means, the best thing is to contact him, and yet better have an online lesson with him.
All the best
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't quite understand what he's getting at with the "as far forward as sensibly possible" part. I actually just can't work out what he's getting at.

Any ideas? Everything else he has ever written has been very clear but this sentence really puzzles me !
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as my english permits me to understand, i'd say he means that the air passes through the lips (that would be the meaning of "as far etc.") first in direction of the upper lip.
Like i already said, better to ask Bobby in person
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Shew Q - air hitting top lip Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can clarify the following point from Bobby Shew's article:

Quote:
The air actually initially aims at the surface of the top lip, hopefully as far forward as sensibly possible.

Source: https://www.bobbyshew.com/main.html?pgid=7&art_artcl_id=8#:~:text=The%20air%2C%20once%20compressed%2C%20must,of%20the%20air%20hitting%20it.

It's the "as far forward as sensibly possible" part that I'm not quite following. ...

----------------------------------------------------
Perhaps he meant something such as -

Directing the air to activate the outer lip tissue

as far forward as it makes sense
or
as far forward as is reasonable
or
as far forward as gives good playing

I doubt that he meant, as far forward as you can feel (sense) it.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
I just don't quite understand what he's getting at with the "as far forward as sensibly possible" part.

As JVL says, best not to think too deeply about it. My personal issues with Shew's paragraph aside, across various pedagogical schools, forward has a very simple meaning that is often obfuscated.

Forward means that the awareness of the vibration and air should be as far "forward" in the system as possible. In other, more obvious, terms: the air flows through the lips/vibration happens with the lips, so focus your awareness there. You can get distracted with the feeling of your abdomen, the throat, the tongue, etc., but generally if you focus on the air getting to and through the lips (and turning air into vibration), you are achieving the sense of "forward."

While forward is more about sound+vibration, other schools get at it via "breathing." Chicago School talks about "breathing from the lips" (useful for inhale and exhale) and it goes to highlight the simplicity breathing that is achieved from such a cue. Other people say "like blowing out a candle." That is forward: when you are turning air into vibration at the lips.

Do not get too in the weeds about it. Thinking about this sensation is useful to see how it affects your sound and ease of playing. Once you're happy with it, focus on the sound and approach rather than constantly thinking about this one point in the system.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is he's a great player who's stating something that isn't accurate or meaningful. All the air has to go past both lips.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: