• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modern day Olds quality- Does it exist?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Modern day Olds quality- Does it exist? Reply with quote

Are there trumpets produced today that match the quality control, workmanship, and reliability of Olds trumpets?

My first guess might be Yamaha, though I’ve read of issues there too (never had one).

My late ‘60s Ambassador might not be a pro horn, but it seems to have zero reliability issues. It’s a rock.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly familiar with Olds trumpets, but the new Schilke, Shires, and Bach trumpets I've owned have also had zero issues over years of playing.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Modern day Olds Reply with quote

Hello,
The longevity of play-ability is pretty much determined by maintenance and care. My Dad bought a Olds Special in '49ish, that was about a year old. He stopped playing in 1950 and it sat in the closet. I started playing it in 1969 and it was practically a new horn. I used it as a marching horn from 1972 to 1981. I played it off and on until recently. I finally noticed some valve wear about 5 years ago. I put a dent in it as a young kiddo, Dad had it removed. The bell got a minor munch in 1979, and that was expertly repaired. It is still a great horn. The horn has had its' lacquer stripped and I had a thumb ring installed on the first slide. It really plays like a pro horn. There are nuances that modern horns have. My other trumpets are Schilkes and the feel is very similar.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds have issues just like other brands, but people outside of repair shops probably won't see enough examples of the instruments to know.
Their soft soldered waterkey hinge tubes are a terrible idea, and the ambassador balluster brace joints often come loose, as do the 3 piece Z brace rods. The other braces also snap and need to be re-brazed.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern day Olds quality- Does it exist? Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Are there trumpets produced today that match the quality control, workmanship, and reliability of Olds trumpets?

My late ‘60s Ambassador might not be a pro horn, but it seems to have zero reliability issues. It’s a rock.

Yes, although the Olds Ambassador was one of the best student horns ever made. Trouble is that the newest one out there would be more than forty years old. (1979)
https://yourbrass.com/
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Olds have issues just like other brands, but people outside of repair shops probably won't see enough examples of the instruments to know.
Their soft soldered waterkey hinge tubes are a terrible idea, and the ambassador balluster brace joints often come loose, as do the 3 piece Z brace rods. The other braces also snap and need to be re-brazed.

Interesting take. I tend to look at these issues differently, the fact that, under mostly student abuse, the braces "come loose" or the 3 piece braces "come apart" speaks to good engineering, that they would be easily fixed down the road. Having worked on hundreds , maybe up to a 1,000 of the Olds models over the years, I cannot remember a brace having been broken. In fact the old saw that the quality went down in the last years I have not noticed either, right through 1978. Aside from some brittle brass in the bells very late that can crack with heavy dent work, not any other issues. After many years fixing these I used to lean towards finding the most beat up, broken, unsoldered wreck to work on. Without exception they all came back together, looked good and played well.
Anyway. Different perspective ...

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn’t aware that Olds had/had a reputation of unmatched quality control. Guessing that most modern (serious) instrument makers would offer the same and better quality control: Yamaha, Bach, Schilke, B&S, not to speak of Taylor, Schmidt , DQ, Krinner, and all those other smaller shops.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I wasn’t aware that Olds had/had a reputation of unmatched quality control.

Given the topic of this thread, the following link might be of interest:

https://www.robbstewart.com/olds-instruments

In particular, the history by R. Dale Olson is a pretty good read, with some insights into the conflict between quality and the exclusive pursuit of ROI.

By the way, if you open the "Olds Catalog, 1939" link and scroll down about 6 pages, you will see an image of the Olds Super French Horn; notice the clever way that the letters "O", "L", "D", and "S" are engraved into the tops of the rotary valve caps in such a way that they are oriented correctly when the caps are screwed down tight.

That is quality.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: