• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette C Trumpet Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Monette C Trumpet Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I’ve been playing the same size Monette mouthpiece for about 30 years now.
For the past 10 years it’s the B4S-S2 Classic Resonance. Prior it was the B4S.
I just got myself a C trumpet because the concert band I am in actually plays some classical music every year for our spring concert. This year 4 of our 8 pieces have C parts. I have been using my B4S S2 mouthpiece on my C trumpet. Does anyone out there happen to know what I could expect if I bought a Monette C4S S2 to use on the C trumpet. Will the intonation be better, even though it is actually pretty good with the B mouthpiece or is there something else that will improve with a C mouthpiece. Or is it just Monette hocus pocus and a waste of money.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using a Monette C mouthpiece will work better. You might consider the C3S3 since you like the B4SS2 on Bb.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Matthes is right. I used to play a B4L for a few years before switching to AR. The B4L worked on my C - sort of … intonation and attacks were really quirky and I never used that combo on a gig.

EDIT: while not everyone is doing it, I know of at least two other companies offering specific C mouthpiece lengths. If hocus pocus it’s not proprietary to Monette

AR Resonance (no, I’m absolutely *not* tempted …): https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a6c7cc_010880020710433e99e0c9f1e1d6b9ca~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_920,h_588,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/Trumpet%20Mouthpiece%20grid_JPG.jpg

MS (sorry, 1990s feel website and only in German, available from Musik Gillhaus in Freiburg): http://ms-mouthpiece.com/mundstuecke.html
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will the intonation be better, even though it is actually pretty good with the B mouthpiece or is there something else that will improve with a C mouthpiece. Or is it just Monette hocus pocus and a waste of money.

I found that intonation, articulation, etc., worked better on my C trumpet when I switched from my Monette B4-series mouthpieces to a Monette C mouthpiece. In my case, it was a switch to a C2-series vice a C4-series mouthpiece, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Thompson Music typically has a selection of used Monette mouthpieces in stock, so it might be worth checking there to see what they have in stock.

Having said that, if the B-series mouthpiece is working reasonably well on your C trumpet and you'll only be using your C for a few pieces in one concert per year, perhaps you could just leave well enough alone.

Out of curiosity, are they parts in the key of C, or parts that specify the use of a C trumpet? And is everyone playing on C trumpet? If the parts don't specify the use of a C trumpet and not everyone is planning to use a C trumpet, you might be better off transposing (or learning to transpose if you aren't already confident with that).
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
Will the intonation be better, even though it is actually pretty good with the B mouthpiece or is there something else that will improve with a C mouthpiece. Or is it just Monette hocus pocus and a waste of money.

I found that intonation, articulation, etc., worked better on my C trumpet when I switched from my Monette B4-series mouthpieces to a Monette C mouthpiece. In my case, it was a switch to a C2-series vice a C4-series mouthpiece, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Thompson Music typically has a selection of used Monette mouthpieces in stock, so it might be worth checking there to see what they have in stock.

Having said that, if the B-series mouthpiece is working reasonably well on your C trumpet and you'll only be using your C for a few pieces in one concert per year, perhaps you could just leave well enough alone.

Out of curiosity, are they parts in the key of C, or parts that specify the use of a C trumpet? And is everyone playing on C trumpet? If the parts don't specify the use of a C trumpet and not everyone is planning to use a C trumpet, you might be better off transposing (or learning to transpose if you aren't already confident with that).

The parts are written in C but Bb parts are also available for the pieces that have C parts. About 1/2 of our section owns C trumpets now and all that own them are using Cs on the concert. As far as buying a C mouthpiece I probably will since I like playing C and will be practicing the C regularly to work on getting that proper C sound. I’m hoping a C mouthpiece might make getting that sound easier.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I know of at least two other companies offering specific C mouthpiece lengths. If hocus pocus it’s not proprietary to Monette

AR Resonance (no, I’m absolutely *not* tempted …): https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a6c7cc_010880020710433e99e0c9f1e1d6b9ca~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_920,h_588,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/Trumpet%20Mouthpiece%20grid_JPG.jpg

MS (sorry, 1990s feel website and only in German, available from Musik Gillhaus in Freiburg): http://ms-mouthpiece.com/mundstuecke.html

Thanks for those links.

Curry also offers a shorter-shanked "3.1" option for c-trumpet, and Pickett has their CS backbore.

More info here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1512660
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the added info — Curry and Pickett are a little hard to come by in Europe plus I live about as far away from Gillhaus (within Germany) as possible, so a trip to test out those MS mouthpieces (which look interesting) is a bit of a thing to plan ahead.

On my C I use my regular Klier USA 5C for warmer and more „orchestral“ sounds and my AR ME40/40S for everything requiring brilliance and power. Both pieces work well and I see no need for a change but I have never actually played a designated C piece — would be interesting to check it out and see if there is an improvement (or let’s say, a difference).

Sorry OP, back to Monette
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: