• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Werner Müller - 1968

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Werner Müller - 1968 Reply with quote

If it helps, we need not mention the teacher that rated him the GOAT.

That said, not being widely known, or mentioned anywhere near as much as Harry, but there does seem to be a case where the more you hear him, the better he becomes. Including occasions where he stays well within himself, at mf level..

Link
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - to my ears Harry didn´t produce that much "schmalz". More of a deliberate flavor of "swingin´Herz" - perhaps also more core???

Nice? Can´t decide - in my opinion a trifle too much vibrato and I find myself wondering - how about the warmth??

Flamboyant? Probably.

But the guy sure knows how to play - no question about that.

Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Horst Reply with quote

I was due to replace the lead player with the WDR Big Band led by Kurt Edelhagen in 1966. Horst was in the section and a BIG drinker and the laws in Germany gave you three chances to straighten up before they could fire you. Horst was on number three when I was hired and he was straight as a judge when I showed up. Edelhagen finally got around to telling me that he had also hired Rick Kiefer thinking he would have two lead players and Rick's jazz excellence. The lead player was Milo Pavolvich who was leaving to go to Berlin and when Horst got in trouble all would work out or so thought Edelhagen. Horst was very famous in Germany and always compared to Harry James. He was a sensational musician and his various recordings prove that. He could "adjust" his style to the music being recorded and as on this example, sounded on the straight, sweet approach which Werner Muller was known for. Check other recordings of his and you'll see how great a player he truly was.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......He could "adjust" his style to the music being recorded and as on this example, sounded on the straight, sweet approach which Werner Muller was known for. Check other recordings of his and you'll see how great a player he truly was."

This is what being a pro is all about I guess?!

I did and o yes you are absolutley right. I should have known better than posting an opinion based on one recording. To my defense I must say that even if his sound on this recording is somewhat flamboyant it´s fully in line with the sound of that time. I.e. remember Eddie Calvert....

In addition, being old enough to have listened to Willis Conover at the AFN in Munich already during the late 1950s I´ve heard my share of extremely good German bands.

Besides that - always interesting and entertaining to read your "tales"!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
"......He could "adjust" his style to the music being recorded and as on this example, sounded on the straight, sweet approach which Werner Muller was known for. Check other recordings of his and you'll see how great a player he truly was."

This is what being a pro is all about I guess?!

I did and o yes you are absolutley right. I should have known better than posting an opinion based on one recording. To my defense I must say that even if his sound on this recording is somewhat flamboyant it´s fully in line with the sound of that time. I.e. remember Eddie Calvert....

In addition, being old enough to have listened to Willis Conover at the AFN in Munich already during the late 1950s I´ve heard my share of extremely good German bands.

Besides that - always interesting and entertaining to read your "tales"!

Agree that there isn't much in the way of fancy treatment, as a 'bittersweet' tune -- where someone can embellish in places, would move away, detract from an understated approach. Late 60's tune, distinct from what rockers were doing. His playing behind the time..certain bars only, is beautifully done, and holds up well years later, jmo.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious if Germany had problems with alcoholism that spilled into the studios at the time, such as putting the melody into a bucket mute. 'Elisabeth' was apparently recorded for a Tv show, and maybe that's the reason.

Other instruments can be heard cleanly, not the trumpet however..

Elisabeth @ 23 : 15

Link
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Alcohol and German bands Reply with quote

The drinking of alcohol in Germany within the studio bands was hardly prohibited. The first studio recording I was on with the WDR Big Band was interesting. Most all the players had either a beer or a bottle of wine next to them during the session. On the break I was introduced to a delightful drink called "Halb und Halb" which was one half Kolnish pils beer and one half German sparkling wine. Then on the next break I was given a small shot glass with a clear plastic covering. The liquid inside was German brandy that had a prune macerating in it for six months. Yes, the band was happy but didn't seem to abuse the privilege.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: