• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chuck Mangione style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Chuck Mangione style Reply with quote

What type of jazz did Chuck Mangione play? I kinda think he has been lumped into smooth jazz but I don’t know.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earliest Mangione albums I have are Alive and The Chuck Mangione Quartet. Both were released in 72, long before he hit the radio airwaves. I wouldn't call it smooth jazz. His playing was so clean compared to later years.I couldn't listen to anything from the late 70's on. He played so out of tune it made me cringe. Add in Gerry Niewood, Steve Gadd and Tony Levin and you have two very good recordings. Gerry wrote a beautiful jazz waltz called Floating for Quartet album. Gerry's improv skills were incredible.
I got to meet him once in 77 at The Bushnell in Hartford, Ct. I was with my girlfriend at the time and one of my sisters. As we were leaving the theater we noticed an open door to the backstage area. We snuck backstage expecting someone to throw us out. We heard a voice say, hi, how are you doing? Turn around and it was Chuck. He was very cordial and talked with us for about 10 minutes. A friend of mine toured with him in the late 80's and has always had nice things to say about him.
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of improvisation, in another post we talked about smooth jazz and the guys improvising. I’m learning jazz but I don’t see them playing like I’m learning - traditional jazz ie head, improvise, head etc. am I wrong about that with church and the smooth jazz guys? What say ye?!?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chuck Mangione style Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
What type of jazz did Chuck Mangione play?.

Buhaina
'nuff said
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's any help, I can pre-date. I used to listen to "The Jazz Brothers", Chuck and brother Gap (pno) (and Sal Nistico-burnin'), on the radio in the mid-60s. I "think" they were out of Rochester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudHEDxWMfk&list=PLyHn3f7-9IUKFYrQ8KhsHAyQa8xRqKgzy

Technique and range notwithstanding, anyone hear some Shorty Rogers ideas?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, if it's any help, I can pre-date. I used to listen to "The Jazz Brothers", Chuck and brother Gap (pno) (and Sal Nistico-burnin'), on the radio in the mid-60s. I "think" they were out of Rochester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudHEDxWMfk&list=PLyHn3f7-9IUKFYrQ8KhsHAyQa8xRqKgzy

Technique and range notwithstanding, anyone hear some Shorty Rogers ideas?

There's a video of them playing on local tv. Looks like a telethon or pledge drive. Tony Levin has a full head of hair!!! Probably from the mid/late 60's. The piece is called Between Races.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to the link that Kehaulani provided, it's pretty clear the young Chuck was more of a hard-bop guy. Reminds me a little of Lee Morgan and early Freddie Hubbard, though not as aggressive. Some pretty tasty stuff, actually. Only later did he become a flugelhorn hippie.

I have his early '70s albums with the quartet, as well as "Chase the Clouds Away," "Bellavia," "Children of Sanchez," and "Feels So Good."

I still like the early quartet albums, but whenever "Children of Sanchez" comes up on my Amazon playlist I usually hit the skip button. It's long, repetetive, and, quite frankly, verges on annoying. Surprised it won a Grammy. Same for "Feels So Good." I still find most of the "Chase the Clouds Away" album to be pleasant listening when I need to relax, but not when I'm in the mood for more complex jazz.

I think he's a great musician with a unique sound but his more commercial stuff just doesn't send me like it did when I was young.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spitvalve"]Listening to the link that Kehaulani provided, it's pretty clear the young Chuck was more of a hard-bop guy. Reminds me a little of Lee Morgan and early Freddie Hubbard, though not as aggressive. Some pretty tasty stuff, actually. Only later did he become a flugelhorn hippie.

Good comparison. I watched the video I mentioned and thought the same thing as well. Art Blakey wouldn't have hired him if he couldn't cut it.
As for his later stuff. I liked the Bellavia album but wouldn't call it jazz. Actually, my favorite later piece is Echano from Chase The Clouds Away. Niewood's solo blows me away. I pictured flames coming out the bell of his soprano when he finished. He was brilliant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: