• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breslmair rims and cups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Breslmair rims and cups Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Breslmair 3-piece mouthpieces and reading up on them. I want to use it on my Yamaha Chicago perinet trumpet. Mainly to play in concert bands. However, since there is no opportunity nearby to physically test them, I was wondering if someone could give me more insight about the following.

For rim size, I was looking at something around a Bach 1.5 / Yamaha 16C4 or just a bit smaller. From what I found, the 112 rim should be around that size. Any suggestions about a rim that is just a little bit smaller?

For cup size I was looking at the G2A, the G2S, the G3A and G3S.
Can anyone compare these cups with any cup sizes from Bach, Yamaha or Lotus which I'm a but more familiar with?

All input and experiences is highly appreciated.
Thanks!
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've likely checked out Thomann Music already (https://www.thomannmusic.com/search_dir.html?sw=breslmair&smcs=bc9d69_5071) but they have a great selection of Breslmair mouthpieces and parts. More importantly, they have a lot of information about each of the parts.

That said, they are not always as detailed as you'd like. For example, the G3S is described as "Special form of cup G3". Of those four options, the G2A has the highest sales rank at 182, so that might be worth something. The G2 has a significantly higher rank than that at 21, if that's something that might interest you.

As for rim sizes, the 112 would be closest to a 1-1/2 at 16.645mm inner diameter. The next sizes down would be the E4-G (similar to Yamaha 15E4) at 16.633mm, the 14 rim (similar to Schilke 14) at 16.610mmm and then the A rim at 16.606. The one after that is closest to a 7C rim size, so you can see that they do differ quite a bit from one to the next. My guess is you'd like the E4-G the best. Good luck!
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:
As for rim sizes, the 112 would be closest to a 1-1/2 at 16.645mm inner diameter. The next sizes down would be the E4-G (similar to Yamaha 15E4) at 16.633mm, the 14 rim (similar to Schilke 14) at 16.610mmm and then the A rim at 16.606. The one after that is closest to a 7C rim size, so you can see that they do differ quite a bit from one to the next. My guess is you'd like the E4-G the best. Good luck!

When reading up on the rim, I find the information pretty confusing.
I think mainly because Breslmair size are described according to the "nennweite" which is 1.5 mm from the top. So the shape of the rim will have an influence. Otherwise I can't explain why the nennweite of a 3C or G rim is larger than the 112, but everybody claims the 112 is/feels bigger than the 3C or G. The E4-G might be a good, size smaller alternative to the 112.

But the only way to find out will be testing because actual size versus the feeling while playing might also be different.
For example, I find a Yamaha 14C4 (actual rim size 16.8 just a bit too small and the one of a 16C4 (17.00) just about right. But the rim of my Lotus 2L (16.84) also feels just about right. So rim shape and cup will also have an effect on the overall feeling.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
BLOWUP

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a Breslmair rim , called : B 1.5C , which is a copy of an old Bach 1 1/2 C,...very comtortable and easy to play.
You can order directly by Breslmair . Musik Gillhaus has it in stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: