• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Descant trumpet and piano books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Descant trumpet and piano books Reply with quote

Fellas, I have a few Christmas books from the Canadian Brass that have excellent descant parts. I recently bought a few Mel Bay books for Easter services that were horrible. Does anyone have any suggestions of hymn books with descant trumpet parts?
Calicchio 1S-7
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best set of descant books is those by Doug Smith called 61 Hymns and Descants. Here's book 1 and you can see some pages. I have most descant books and these descants were always my first choice
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/en/product/61-trumpet-hymns-and-descants-vol-1-499075.html
Ancientram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Descant Books Reply with quote

I second the Smith 61 Trumpet Hymns and Descants suggestion. For old standards, Volume 1 and Volume 2 will cover almost everything. For more contemporary hymns, see the follow-on volumes. Smith's 61 Trombone Hymns and Counter Melodies makes an ideal companion. Always confirm the harmonies in the hymnal play nicely with the descant.

The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod hymnal prior to their latest, has some nice descants that fit with the arrangements of hymns in that book. It has THE descant for Old Hundredth.

Similarly, Hymns for the Family of God has some descants scattered throughout.

When there is no descant otherwise available, play the alto vocal line an octave higher. That will also work (an octave lower) for an addition to the trombone part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: