• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herb and Lani

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Herb and Lani Reply with quote

We saw Herb and Lani last evening in New London, Ct. As usual, it was a really nice performance.
I had a minor issue with the sound. The balance was a bit off at times. A couple of times when Lani was singing, she was overpowered by the trio. There were a few times I had a hard time hearing Herb play.
Herb played very well and wasn't using the mute I've seen him use before.
One odd moment. Like most guys my age, (sixty eight) I made sure to hit the men's room right before the performance. As I was walking in, two guys were leaving. One guy absolutely reeked of weed!!!!!Why the hell would you need to get high before a Herb and Lani show?

Last edited by peanuts56 on Wed May 22, 2024 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Whay the hell would you need to get high before a Herb and Lani show?"

Maybe they preferred Cheech and Chong to Herb and Lani?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"Whay the hell would you need to get high before a Herb and Lani show?"

Maybe they preferred Cheech and Chong to Herb and Lani?

Could be. Herb is still playing quite well, recently turned 89. Something caught my ear a few times. Every now and then he let loose and played quite aggressive. That's not something he usually does. There were times where he reminded me a bit of Jack Sheldon with a little Chet thrown in.
Lani is still singing well, she's 78 or 79. Quite beautiful as well. She never seems to age.
My wife turned to me and said, everyone here is old!!!!!
BTW, going to see Jake Shimabukuro on Father's Day. Also going to hear Herb Ohta Jr and Bryan Tolentino in July. I took a lesson with Herb last fall. Showed me a few things I needed to work on.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
BTW, going to see Jake Shimabukuro on Father's Day. Also going to hear Herb Ohta Jr and Bryan Tolentino in July. I took a lesson with Herb last fall. Showed me a few things I needed to work on.

Color me jealous. Enjoy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:

Color me jealous. Enjoy.

Jake comes this way at least once a year. We've seen him so many times he knows who we are. My wife claims he only recognizes her because all haoles look alike. He starts in with the pidgin and calls her aunty. My mother in law wouldn't let her kids speak pidgin. Told them to speak proper English.
Herb has been in the northeast a few times with George Kahumoku's Masters of Hawaiian Music tour. Bryan was in the area pre pandemic doing a master class in Sheffield, Mass. I'm maybe 90 minutes from there so I drove up.
A few years ago Led and Willie K were in NYC at The Botanical Garden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: