• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Having surgery on lower lip

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Having surgery on lower lip Reply with quote

I figured I'd be the canary in a coal mine for the collective here and keep you all in the loop about an upcoming surgery on my lower lip, and HOPEFULLY a quick recovery.

For background, I noticed a small blemish/sore (that didn't hurt) on my lower lip in late January/early February. It was located just outside where my mouthpiece sits, so I largely ignored it. I was generally practicing about an hour a day, and I was playing once a week or so in a college pep band, and going to weekly rehearsals for a wind symphony.

When the sore started to get bigger (still no pain or impact to playing) I went to a Dermatologist. They determined that I had a non-cancerous pyogenic granuloma. It was just small enough that they could attempt to address it with a laser, so they tried that. I took 2 days off from playing, and while the lip was a bit tender, I resumed playing.

The granuloma shook off the laser treatment and doubled in size, so i went back to the Dermatologist. They advised that I could try drops/medicine to shrink/kill it, or have a plastic surgeon remove it. I went for the less invasive option of drops, but the granuloma used them as fertilizer and doubled in size again. At this point it would start bleeding (a lot) when I played, so I had to back out of my Easter gig and stop playing so i wouldn't do serious damage.

I met with a plastic surgeon on Wednesday (yesterday) and he scheduled surgery for this coming Monday. The Dr is a patron of the arts, so we had a very long discussion about the surgery and my concerns about potential permanent/negative impacts on my playing. He said that his procedure would not cut into the muscle, and he basically cuts around the granuloma, digs it out, and closes up. He said I should stop playing for 1 week (until Monday the 15th), and then work back into it.

There's a concert with the wind symphony scheduled for May 19th, so that gives me a month to get back to performance shape. The music isn't crazy, but not 'easy' by any means, so I'm obviously a little anxious.

Just sharing this in case anyone else runs into something similar in the future.

Wish me luck...
1948 Holton Model 48
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you the best outcome!

Mike
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Having surgery on lower lip Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:

There's a concert with the wind symphony scheduled for May 19th, so that gives me a month to get back to performance shape. The music isn't crazy, but not 'easy' by any means, so I'm obviously a little anxious.

Just remember that in the grand scheme of things, this particular concert means almost nothing. Approach your health and long term planning with that in mind.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, I went through a similar thing, although on the inside of my lower lip, not the outside. Like you, I went to a dermatologist and then a doctor, who diagnosed my mouth sore as “leukoplakia” (if I recall correctly) and suggested surgery. He did a biopsy and didn’t find anything, but said it could potentially become infected if I didn’t do anything about it. I went through with the surgery. They stitched up my lower lip and I was instructed not to play for two weeks until it healed, which I obeyed. After it healed over, everything felt the same, but it left a small scar. I returned to playing and actually started getting stronger. I was actually getting better playing wise before it happened, and had it removed for health reasons. When I came back, I just picked up where I left off.

Looking back, I am happy everything worked out, but I am not convinced that the surgery was necessary. One thing you have to remember is that if you develop a problem because of bad technique or teaching, correct technique will fix it.

If the problem came from incorrect trumpet technique, surgery is probably not necessary. However, if it’s a granuloma, that could be a medical and not trumpet playing issue. The problem is, I’m not a doctor, so I can’t recommend a treatment for that.

Can you get a second or third opinion before you go through with surgery?
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion unless you absolutely trust the doctor.

Also what Quadstriker said.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Having surgery on lower lip Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
gbdeamer wrote:

Just remember that in the grand scheme of things, this particular concert means almost nothing. Approach your health and long term planning with that in mind.

Agree.

The 19th is the goal, and I'll work to be 100% by then, but I'm a realist, so if there are complications/issues I'll have to pivot.

I had fully planned on playing my Easter gig, but once this thing started bleeding and impeding playing I dropped it.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:

Can you get a second or third opinion before you go through with surgery?

LOL!!!!!

It's a 7mm ball sitting on top of my bottom lip. In its current form it prevents me from playing, and it's growing larger, so unless I want to name it and keep it as a pet there are no other options.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:

There are no other opinions/options. This thing is growing on the outside of my lip:

https://i.imgur.com/MlQaqR8.png

Plastic surgery is the only way to safely get rid of it at this point.
1948 Holton Model 48
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes for a fantastic surgical outcome!
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

There are no other opinions/options. This thing is growing on the outside of my lip:

Plastic surgery is the only way to safely get rid of it at this point.

Man, that’s tough. I’m sorry you’re going through that.

I am also realizing after re-reading your initial post that you are trying more to raise awareness than seek advice. Thank you for doing this.

I will say if you don’t mind, personally if it was me I would still seek at least a second opinion. There could be a cream or other less invasive procedure that may also do the trick (and be less expensive). What if you, God forbid, got another one? Does your insurance cover it 100%?

I Googled pyogenic granuloma and found that it can be caused by an injury, however, there also seems to be a hereditary component.

In any case, I wish you all the best, and thank you for raising awareness of this condition.

Josh
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic surgeons know exactly how to deal with stuff like that without scarring.
Take as much time off as you need to.
There are ways that I modify mouthpiece rims to keep pressure off of an injury or lump... let me know if you need anything like that as a temorary solution while it heals.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JoshMizruchi"]
gbdeamer wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

In any case, I wish you all the best, and thank you for raising awareness of this condition.

Josh

Thanks Josh.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Plastic surgeons know exactly how to deal with stuff like that without scarring.
Take as much time off as you need to.
There are ways that I modify mouthpiece rims to keep pressure off of an injury or lump... let me know if you need anything like that as a temorary solution while it heals.

Thanks Doug.

Yeah, the plastic surgeon was far less concerned about recovery than I was. I had a mouthpiece with me so he was able to see where it sat in relation the granuloma (and where he'd be cutting). The rim sits just outside where the granuloma is (and cut will be), so hopefully I'll be in good shape.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First update.

Had surgery this morning and the Dr said it went very well. The granuloma had grown a bit, but nothing he didn't anticipate. Local anesthesia worked, so I didn't feel anything other than pushing and pulling.

Since the cutting/sewing was on the lip there's no bandaging...which feels a little weird. It's great to see the growth gone, but staring at Frenkensteins mouth in the mirror is a bit off putting.

I'm icing my face and only taking ibuprofen, but holy crap does it hurt! Talking, wiggling nose, drinking, etc, etc ALL hurt. Dr said that swelling should peak after 48 hours, so rest during that time is important.

Here's a picture from a few minutes after surgery for anyone interested.

https://i.imgur.com/uEiiCaP.jpeg
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second update.

It's been four days since the surgery. Pain/swelling were the worst on Day 2 (Wednesday). My Dr didn't prescribe pain med's, so I've been using Ibuprofen and it's been sufficient...but I have a high tolerance for pain, so other people may want to discuss with their Dr.

From across a room it just looks like I have a fat lip, so I think things are progressing as they should. The stitches/would still weeps a drop of blood from time to time, and it's still trying to scab, so there's no way I'd even put a mouthpiece to lips. I think if I buzzed at all it would make things very angry very quickly.

My original 'hope' was that I'd be able to some light buzzing again after 1 week (Monday) so if things progress like this that could still be a realistic goal.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbdeamer wrote:
My original 'hope' was that I'd be able to some light buzzing again after 1 week (Monday) so if things progress like this that could still be a realistic goal.

Thanks for the update! Following your journey as it was wild to see. When anything major happens, always err on the side of too long than too short!

Good luck!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some progress pictures!
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Post some progress pictures!

Here was Wednesday

https://imgur.com/W9Bq73j

Here's today

https://imgur.com/a/Of5bzfy
1948 Holton Model 48
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see good progress for you!
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
Glad to see good progress for you!

Thanks!

Fingers crossed that things keep progressing like this.
1948 Holton Model 48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: