• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Having surgery on lower lip

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I am so sorry you had to go through this, but I am glad your recovery is going well. I urge you to stay away from doing any playing including buzzing the mouthpiece or even buzzing your lips for now. Give it the time to FULLY heal before you resume any playing. A few extra weeks off could very will prevent months of misery.

Best wishes,

John Mohan, RN
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Mohan"]Wow! I am so sorry you had to go through this, but I am glad your recovery is going well. I urge you to stay away from doing any playing including buzzing the mouthpiece or even buzzing your lips for now. Give it the time to FULLY heal before you resume any playing. A few extra weeks off could very will prevent months of misery.

Best wishes,

John Mohan, RN[/quote

+1
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Wow! I am so sorry you had to go through this, but I am glad your recovery is going well. I urge you to stay away from doing any playing including buzzing the mouthpiece or even buzzing your lips for now. Give it the time to FULLY heal before you resume any playing. A few extra weeks off could very will prevent months of misery.

Best wishes,

John Mohan, RN

Thanks John.

Yeah, the mental struggle is real.

There's no manual that says after XXX days/weeks you're good to go, so my brain wants to start ASAP.

Surgery was one week ago yesterday, and I was hopeful that I'd be able to do some buzzing at this point, but there's still a LITTLE swelling, so I'm putting it off until the swelling is totally gone.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Al Innella"]
John Mohan wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan, RN[/quote

+1

Thanks Al.
1948 Holton Model 48
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update.

It was two weeks yesterday that surgery was done, and the lip is pretty much healed. There's a slight visible scar, but otherwise the swelling and pain are gone.

I started Sunday evening with light buzzing on a mouthpiece, and I did a very light practice session yesterday (mainly long tones, Clarke 1 and 2, and some easy scales).

Good news is that there is no pain or swelling from playing.

Bad news is that I took 3 weeks or so totally off from playing, so my chops were out of shape to begin with. Add to that the scar tissue that behaves differently than lip tissue, and a slight (permanent) bump from the end of the incision line, and I've found that my setup is a bit 'different'. Doesn't seem catastrophic, but there's a bit of a double buzz at times.

Biggest takeaway is that waiting the FULL 2 weeks was absolutely necessary. Even at 10 or 11 days there were still scabs on my lip, so it would have been easy to tear them open if I played too hard (or maybe at all).

Right now my chops just feel like their out of shape (from 3 weeks off) as opposed to injured).

Here's a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/tbLlh5T.jpeg
1948 Holton Model 48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: