• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zinger vs Pickett Severinsen L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmoose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Zinger vs Pickett Severinsen L Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone can comment on the similarities and differences between the Reeves Zinger and the Pickett Severinsen L mouthpieces.

My main points of curiosity:
0) Are these mouthpieces even comparable? Or different beasts altogether?
1) The stock Zinger rim is a 42. Is the Pickett similar to a Reeves 42 or more like the 5C rim that Doc has been known to use?
2) The Zinger has a #28 throat & the Pickett has a #27. Do the mouthpieces have similar resistances & blow?
3) Is one more efficient than the other? (matter of taste & horn, I suppose)
4) Tone differences?
5) Pickett shank size? The Zinger is #5, although I tried one that measured more like #5.5

Many thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

Cheers! -Mike
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Zinger vs Pickett Reply with quote

Doc has tried virtually every mouthpiece maker over the years and they all made their version of a 5C for him. The Reeves "Zinger" was the mouthpiece I always put on his stand so he could switch to it (without the audience seeing what he did) when some high passages were due to be played. I have not seen the Pickett version made for him but it's a good assumption it's Peter's version of a 5C. Reeves's "Zinger" is basically a 5E. An interesting bit of his mouthpiece history is when he moved to Mexico I asked him what he was going to do with the 5000 mouthpieces he had on his practice room shelf. I said guys were shelling out $150 for his old Jet-Tones and he said that if they were any good he'd still be playing one. I asked him to let me sell the collection off slowly as most people knew I was his first trumpet player and road manager and he indicated he did not want his name used that way. After he left for Mexico I called him and asked what he did with all the mouthpieces. "I threw them into the dumpster" was the answer.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
ronnyc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I reached out to Pickett about the Doc piece a few years back as I used the Reeves 42ES and 42S with their 692s backbore for quite a while (very similar to the zinger). They replied “Doc's rim is very unique, but will feel in the ballpark of a .660 3'ish rim. Doc’s backbore is a very compact and efficient option.”

Ron
Youngstown Ohio
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pickett Severinsen rim has a very sharp bite and a round counter to the outer diameter. It feels round, but also grips your chops while playing. I wasn't a huge fan when I tried it, but I can see it working well for some players.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Zinger vs Pickett Reply with quote

"I threw them into the dumpster" was the answer.

WOW ... just WOW ... he could have gifted them folks if nothing else. Can't believe where he has settled down now ... my father in law lives there ~!
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: