• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Copper Bell Flugelhorns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dvweaver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Copper Bell Flugelhorns? Reply with quote

Hey all. I've been in the market for a new flugelhorn. I recently had the pleasure of trying an Adam's F5. After trying it against a bunch of other models, the the dark sound of the Adams was (in my opinion) far superior. In looking at the specs, I realized the Adams had a copper bell, which I believe is the biggest contributor to the sound that I loved.

If I'm liking the dark sound of the Adams (presumably from the copper), would any of you have any suggestions on other horns I should compare it to? I'm reading the Kanstul 1525 is a fierce competitor, but there are only so many of those available, so I would be most open to accessible brands/models.

Thanks a ton!
Allora AAFG-103F - Shew Flugel

Last edited by Dvweaver on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kanstul 1525 and it’s just on another level. I’ve played the Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, 2 different Adams (can’t remember which models, sorry) and I owned the Courtois 154.

Nothing comes close to the 1525.

From what I hear, the Inderbiden Wood is like a slightly better 1525 but it’s $6,000. Never played one though.

So I’d say unless you’re in a big rush it’s worth the wait for one to pop up. I waited and looked online for over a year, but it was well worth the wait.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Schilke Flugelhorns Reply with quote

I have a Schilke 1040 FL and am very happy. The 1041FLC has a copper bell.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kanstul 1525 and also an Adams A2 with a red brass bell and nickel silver flair. I had the Kanstul before I got the Adams. They produce much different sounds.

The Kanstul produces a fluffier, darker, dispersed, classic flugelhorn sound. It's a wonderful sound. The Adams produces a brighter, more focused, more projecting sound (which is the reason I got the Adams, I wanted a flugelhorn with that sound so I had a versatile pair of flugelhorns).

For a small group I think the Kanstul is the superior flugelhorn. In a larger ensemble where you could use more projection the Adams would match that situation better than the Kanstul.

I also have a Schlagerl Killer Queen flugelhorn and it is awesome. I'm assuming it has a yellow brass bell. It's maybe not quite as dark as the Kanstul but it gets a great flugelhorn sound. Of course the main point of the Schlagerl is the valves. The quickness of the rotary valves is fabulous. No piston flugelhorn can match the dexterity of the Schlagerl and its rotary valves. It's a big difference.
claf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check also the Van Laars, more particularly the Oiram and Fresu.
Stan Harrison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Copper Bells. But the size and Taper of the bell makes a difference. I've had a Kanstul 1525 copper, a Calicchio copper, a Red brass Brasspire, A copper Harrelson Summit Flugel, and now an A.R Resonance with 170MM copper bell. Special order. The Calicchio copper was Huge. A Jo-Ral Flugel mute wouldn't fit in it because the bell was too big, but it fit in the Kanstul, Both are 6.5 inches but the Callichio was much wider leading up to the final diameter. My A.R, is 6.7 inch but that mute fits. Then there is the thickness of the Copper. The Harrelson Copper was really thick and the 1525 thinner. I don't like Flugelhorns that sound like Cornets. To me Copper gets Colors that I don't get from Brass.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Copper vs Brass Reply with quote

I believe many players assume a copper bell flugelhorn gets a darker sound. I have found the exact opposite results when blind testing my brass and copper flugels here in my Las Vegas shop with some top players. All preferred the brass model when they didn't know which they were playing. I also believe it is an "eye candy" influence and some years ago I was displaying my instruments at the International Trumpet conference in Washington, DC. I was with my distributor Washington Music Center and they had brought along some other horns to display one of which was a Kanstul "Chicago" flugelhorn with a copper bell (not the 1525). I had a silver plated flugel that a player with the Navy band had ordered and it was placed next to the Kanstul. During the entire convention not one person picked my horn up and were drawn to the copper Kanstul like flys to jam. After that I made the decision to start making a copper bell version along with my brass flugels.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the confusion, some horns are not solid copper but copper plated brass. The ACB Coppernicus comes to mind.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second best flugel I ever had was an Old CT model with a copper bell. After that, the Couesnon. I liked the 1525, but play testing (e\yes closed) didn't hear enough difference between the copper and brass bell to sway me much. Then again, I almost play test for sound with my eyes closed, and like to take someone with me when i check out a new horn, so they can hear the difference in front of the bell. Horns don't always sound the same in front as they do in back, after all.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Copper vs Brass Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I believe many players assume a copper bell flugelhorn gets a darker sound. I have found the exact opposite results when blind testing my brass and copper flugels here in my Las Vegas shop with some top players. All preferred the brass model when they didn't know which they were playing. I also believe it is an "eye candy" influence and some years ago I was displaying my instruments at the International Trumpet conference in Washington, DC. I was with my distributor Washington Music Center and they had brought along some other horns to display one of which was a Kanstul "Chicago" flugelhorn with a copper bell (not the 1525). I had a silver plated flugel that a player with the Navy band had ordered and it was placed next to the Kanstul. During the entire convention not one person picked my horn up and were drawn to the copper Kanstul like flys to jam. After that I made the decision to start making a copper bell version along with my brass flugels.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I had a chance to play a copper bell 1025 at Fergusson Music, once. I already had purchased a silver plated 1025. You are right, Tony, the copper does not sound darker, but each time I have compared them side by side with yellow brass, the copper has played a little more sweetly and responded that little bit more delicately. My raw finished WT flugelhorn is the most responsive instrument I have ever owned. Not by a lot, but it is noticeable, in my opinion.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: