• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eterna vs. Severinsen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Eterna vs. Severinsen Reply with quote

Can anyone highlight the differences between a Getzen Eterna ('64 - '67 vintage) vs. the Doc Severinsen Eterna? Two obvious differences are that the Eterna has a first valve trigger, while the Severinsen has no intonation adjustment on first; and the Eterna has a fixed ring on the third valve slide, vs. adjustable on the Severinsen. But, what about differences in bore, tone, playability, construction, etc.? Has anyone compared the two by playing both? Looking to upgrade from my Capri, so any observations in differences vs. the Capri would be welcome also.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about just plain Eternas from the 60s but might be able to add some info into what's really behind your question.

I played a Severinsen professionally in the 60s, as did a section mate who had played lead for Kenton and Herman in those days. I also had a friend who played a Capri trumpet all his life as an amateur first trumpet player and never felt the need for anything else. Additionally, I have a Capri cornet (if that counts). Furthermore, I have owned a current Getzen Eterna Classic, which is very close to the original Severinsens.

First off, I think the Capris "punch higher than their pay grade". So, there's that.

The Severinsen compared to the Capri - I think the Severinsen has a slightly more substantial tone. As far as I can tell, that's about it. The Severinsen is definitely a first-class professional horn and the Capri not but, frankly, a lot of the difference depends on what level a player you are. The Eternas line is probably put together with more care than the Capris but, again, not by much.

You can get the original Severinsen for a very reasonable price - about $1,200.00. FYI, the modern Getzen Eterna Classic is very close to the original and is new, about $3,000.00. I've had both and I don't think it makes much of a diffeerence.

I know this doesn't address the (only) Eternas but, knowing the Capri perhaps it can get you started.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kehaulani, this helps. I think your comments about the Capri in prior threads led me to consider the Capri.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really looking for an answer to a moving target of a question. The very first 900 Eterna trumpets and the first 900 Eterna Severinsen trumpets were the same. As far as I know, Doc was involved from day 1 of the Eterna line.

However, over the years, the Eterna Severinsen was tweaked and changed to better meet what Doc and the market wanted. Example: The adjustable third slide ring. The story I have always been told is that the ring was changed from fixed to adjustable at Doc's suggestion. The thought being having an adjustable ring would fit the hands of more players, therefor expanding the number of potential customers for the trumpet.

Honestly, it is incredibly difficult to compare anything to the Eterna Severisen without narrowing it down a little bit. To make matters worse, the company wasn't really good at keeping track of what was changed or when it happened. And they definitely didn't advertise it. We found that out when we were developing the 900 Eterna Classic. The idea was to return it to the original Severinsen design. We ended up having to pick and choose from several on hand examples and coming up with an amalgamation design from various models over the history of the horn.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eterna vs. Severinsen Reply with quote

Silver Knight wrote:
Two obvious differences are that the Eterna has a first valve trigger, while the Severinsen has no intonation adjustment on first; and the Eterna has a fixed ring on the third valve slide, vs. adjustable on the Severinsen.

Well, not all non-Severinsen Eterna's have fixed rings on the third valve slide, only the Getzen 900 Eterna's from The Dark Ages as Brett Getzen calls them: the years the family didn't own the company and the Eterna design drifted away from the original more towards Vincent Bach 180-37 style if you know what I mean.
As a great Getzen fan I had to try all models and actually since I cannot handle the very free blowing ML Severinsen models from the early 70's, I like more the 'Dark Ages' models, they are less free blowing and sound very versitale think in the direction of ehhh Vincent Bach 180-37 or 25 if LB.
The Capri trumpet I like as well but hey, you get what you pay for: The Eterna has a nicer sound with more high and low in the frequenses.
The Severinsen Eterna LB .468 was very interesting: Less free blowing than the Severinsen Eterna ML I once posessed
All my Getzens where great in valve, build quality, intonation, projection but as I said, they can different a lot in free blowing from your Capri so try before you buy or start a huge collection of all versions
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett and Manuel, thanks for your replies, and please let me clarify. I'm considering an Eterna from the '64 - '67 era. This particular horn had a fixed third slide ring and a first valve trigger. Also considering a Severinsen from '68 - '71 era. That particular horn has the adjustable third slide ring and no first valve intonation aid.

From Brett's reply, I assume the earlier Eterna had Doc's influence, even though it was not specifically marked as such. It sounds like both could be somewhat represented in the current 900 classic.

Manuel, thanks for your playing observations. I guess I need to guard against building a huge collection.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 1st slide intonation aids. I got a new Severinsen Eterna in 72, which had been on the shelf for about a year, and it had a 1st slide trigger. I also have some old catalogues that indicated that 1st slide triggers and saddles were options.

I do know that as a point of interest, the stock Amado water keys had a longer "nipple" than the mid 70's and later batch.

Also, the older 0.468" bore "L B" is separated as the L is on the left of the diamond brace foot on the 2nd cylinder and the B is on the right, in my experience having owned a number of Severinsen Eternas (and a number of other Getzen horns) in the last 50 years! I happen to have that LB resting on my foot at the moment, lubing it for tonight's rehearsal.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntman10, thanks for the tips on determining bore. As far as I can tell from photos, neither is a large bore, but I'll check the diamond brace tomorrow. I figured the intonation aids might be options.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver - what do you want the horn for?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehaulani, strictly amateur enjoyment. Right now I'm just playing with my wife (on piano): pop, classical, jazz standards. No immediate plans for joining a community group, but that may happen later. My King Flair needs to go the shop, and I want a horn to play while it's away.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Knight wrote:
Kehaulani, strictly amateur enjoyment. Right now I'm just playing with my wife (on piano): pop, classical, jazz standards. No immediate plans for joining a community group, but that may happen later. My King Flair needs to go the shop, and I want a horn to play while it's away.

Well, a King Flair's a first-rate professional horn. (caveat: I and LB horns don't get along.) If that's your primary horn, and all you need is a back-up while it's in the shop, I don't see why you need a first-line second horn. Especially since you're not playing with anyone . . . unless you just want another horn. A used Severinsen will do you well. As will a million other horns.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ljnev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Severinsens are very affordable right now, and a great pro horn. I play a late 60's Getzen Severinsen as my main horn, and a Getzen 3001 for more legit jobs as it is somewhat Bach-like. Good luck on your purchase, the market is awash with high quality trumpets.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eterna vs. Severinsen Reply with quote

Silver Knight wrote:
Can anyone highlight the differences between a Getzen Eterna ('64 - '67 vintage) vs. the Doc Severinsen Eterna? Two obvious differences are that the Eterna has a first valve trigger, while the Severinsen has no intonation adjustment on first; and the Eterna has a fixed ring on the third valve slide, vs. adjustable on the Severinsen. But, what about differences in bore, tone, playability, construction, etc.? Has anyone compared the two by playing both? Looking to upgrade from my Capri, so any observations in differences vs. the Capri would be welcome also.

Another difference is that the early Severinsen models came with two main tuning slides (.460" and .458"), which Doc said was to provide more flexibility for the player. I have a 1968 Severinsen and it came with both, but I don't know if the Eterna (i.e., non-Severinsen model) also came with two or only the one installed main tuning slide. I can tell you that the Severinsen also has a very bright tone, very well suited to jazz (which is mostly what I used to play on it).

The earlier Severinsens also had lever water keys, versus the Amado water keys that began to be used in the 70s. Getzen said the Amado water keys functioned better and make for a smoother blowing horn, but personally I prefer the more traditional look of the levers (which you can still get, BTW).

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main differences were starting around 1969 or 1970, Ray Amado styled water keys were added to the production line. Doc himself, starting in the early '70's, began having Bach 37 bells soldered onto his Getzen horns. ssssshhhh. That's a secret-good thing nobody will read this and know the truth. sssshhhh.

2 other Getzen oddities.

1) Remember those ads in Downbeat advertising you could win $10K if you spot Doc playing any other horn other than a Getzen Eterna 900s? Am I the ONLY person that noticed there's no expiration date on that bet??? Does that mean I can get my $10K from Downbeat since Doc has played other brands?? LOL

2) A buddy of mine (RIP) attended a clinic given by Doc in Pa in the early '70's and during the clinic, a student asked Doc what brand of horn they should seek out. Doc, ofc endorsing Getzen, said "Oh, buy a Getzen Eterna 900s." After the clinic, Doc was leaving and yelled back to the kid "Bach! Bach! Get a Bach!!!"

I had a Getzen Eterna and they played pretty good but I swear they were put together with spit and chewing gum. It was the only horn I literally wore a hole in the 1st valve casing.

Bud Brisbois played a 900sL-the large bore design for several years before getting the deal with Holton in 1972

Johnny Audino played a 1968 900sL that Doc hand picked for him (must be nice huh?) Johnny later had a Reeves alignment added and had it gold-plated-that's horn he played in the '70's & '80's until he passed

Bill Chase played an early 900s (that's the horn he's playing on the Woody's Winners LP) before settling on the B6 Schilke
Silver Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. The Eterna I considered was from '64-'67, with a serial number very close to the end of the range, which makes me believe it was from 1967. Amado water keys, no second tuning slide, first valve trigger, third valve fixed ring.

The Severinsen I considered was from '68 - '71, also with a serial number close to the end of the range, which leads me to believe it was from 1971. It has Amado keys, no first valve intonation aid, and an adjustable ring on the third valve slide. The ad did not mention a second tuning slide; perhaps it was lost to the ages, along with the original case. (It's still available for $850 on the east coast of Florida.)

I bought the older Eterna (not marked as a Severinsen model). Both horns were far away from me, so I didn't play both. Thanks Manuel for your playing observations. The plating on the older horn is in better shape than the Severinsen. The horn I bought was listed at $200 less than the Severinsen, and I got it for $600. It's in pristine condition; no scratches, dings, and the felt under the piston caps looked brand new (not compressed at all). The seller said it was his BIL's second horn, and wasn't played much. (His first horn was an Olds which looked like it lived a hard life; perhaps that was the marching horn.) The original case is in almost-new condition, and I got a couple mouthpieces which are unique additions to my collection. After cleaning off the tarnish, it looks great. Overall, I'm really happy with my purchase.

To Kehaulani's point: did I need a premium horn as a back-up? No, but I wanted one. My King lives in California and I play it when I visit my kids. My Capri was my Florida horn, but it may go to California as the backup while the Flair is repaired.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chase1973 wrote:
I had a Getzen Eterna and they played pretty good but I swear they were put together with spit and chewing gum.

If this includes the Severinsens, I don't get it. I played mine in North Texas Lab Bands, then as a widely-touring Air Force musician, and also played in a soul band. Later in various settings and I never had one iota of a problem from my Getzen. This is over about a twenty-year span.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:00 am Post subject:
chase1973 wrote:
I had a Getzen Eterna and they played pretty good but I swear they were put together with spit and chewing gum.

If this includes the Severinsens, I don't get it. I played mine in North Texas Lab Bands, then as a widely-touring Air Force musician, and also played in a soul band. Later in various settings and I never had one iota of a problem from my Getzen. This is over about a twenty-year span.

I bet you had an earlier one-they were made better INMHO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: