• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what is normal lip swelling?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas James

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: what is normal lip swelling? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am pretty sure this has been covered ad nauseum, on other posts, so bear with me, I actually have a specific question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere.

problem: upper top lip swelling, at the nib that forms on the center of the upper lip after 5 minutes of warm ups or playing of any type. sometimes so severe it ruins my playing for a day.

knowns:
-I am strictly a classical player(not Jazz or big band).
-My embouchure is correct for me.
- I have always had this issue from day one.
-I am absolutely not using too much pressure. (in fact it is very light even into the higher registers)
- I do not have an allergy to brass. and no known inflammation issues.
- I am (probably) not over practicing
- current workable range is about a high D (as played on a Bb trumpet )
yet it is increasing despite the swelling on good days only.
a typical practice day would be about 1.5 hrs, and maybe 45-60 minutes of lip time. usually spread out over the day, sometimes not.

Synopsys.

Ok, so I have this lip swelling that has always been a part of my playing. I've been back at the trumpet for about 5 weeks.

I am a comeback player and I quit back 20+ years ago due to the lip swelling issue. I was hoping it was due to over practicing and since its a long story, Ill just say I didn't know that practicing for 6 hours a day didn't help to develop endurance back then. now I know I need rest.

However, today I woke up with swelling so bad that my lips could not even buzz in the mouthpiece. Granted I did play a lot in the high register last couple days. I'm sure some of it is just stiff chops. But when I read other players "bad lip days" mine does not seem to fit that description. my lip swells up on some days so badly I cannot even buzz.

my question is. what would a "normal" bad chop day be for the average person? is it normal not to be able to even buzz in the mpc?

My fear is, that my lips, simply cannot take the stress of the vibration and they simply swell up from that. If so there is no exercises that would help, and I would be forced to quit.

I am not willing to launch an all out investigatory deep dive spending hundreds of $$ to find out that it is a genetic defect.

I find when I rest that it seems to allow me to play again but it swells up every time, after 5 minutes no matter what I do. Some days I can play for what seems like hours with no issues even tho the lip is swollen. other days its just too much. if I have a really bad day, rest solves it as far as playing goes, but the swelling is still there. good day or bad, there has never been a day my lip has not swollen when paying trumpet.

is it possible it is a genetic limitation?
if not, what else could cause this beyond the factors I have listed to not be the cause?
thanks for your help.
thanks for having me aboard.

best/Doug
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m 3 1/2 months back and have lip swell as well. I think it’s probably normal for awhile for a comeback.

If it’s 5 minutes of horn on the lips at warm up that would be too much for me. I take fairly long breaks of 5 minutes or more when starting up.

Jim Pandolfi said after years of playing on a 5C he moved to a 1C because of lip swell, but he was a pro playing a heavy workload in the Philharmonic. I tried moving from a 5C to 1.5 or 1C but it was harder to play so I didn’t stick with it and went back to the 5C.

I don’t recall having much of an issue after finally getting established when I played years ago, but I was younger then and never had a super intense workload in the college orchestra I played in.

Interested to see what other more experienced players have to say.
Douglas James

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
I’m 3 1/2 months back and have lip swell as well. I think it’s probably normal for awhile for a comeback.

If it’s 5 minutes of horn on the lips at warm up that would be too much for me. I take fairly long breaks of 5 minutes or more when starting up.

Jim Pandolfi said after years of playing on a 5C he moved to a 1C because of lip swell, but he was a pro playing a heavy workload in the Philharmonic. I tried moving from a 5C to 1.5 or 1C but it was harder to play so I didn’t stick with it and went back to the 5C.

I don’t recall having much of an issue after finally getting established when I played years ago, but I was younger then and never had a super intense workload in the college orchestra I played in.

Interested to see what other more experienced players have to say.

thanks for your input Rhondo! Im going to take in everything people say, all input is appreciated.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me see if I understand it….

Your lips swells up. How do you know this?

Can you see it? After playing does any mention that your lips look big?
If not, it’s only a little of swelling.

Is it true that you think it’s too swollen because you can’t get your Lois to buzz in the mouthpiece? If that’s the only thing, there are lots of reasons people have bad response after their warmup. Usually a too small or too shallow mouthpiece is like that. After a bit of playing it shuts off cuz of swelling, but it’s not much swelling. It’s really a lip intrusion issue then. Lots of people have that.

Is there any pain? If not you prob don’t have any more swelling that other players.

You say “my embouchure is right for me” which kind of sounds like you set up might be described by an onlooker as odd or unconventional. Is it?

If you have some sort of protruding tooth that can make a tiny little spot swell and cause all kinds of havoc. Do you have that?

It sounds like it’s a mouthpiece issue to me unless you have some kinds of major swelling. Everyone has swelling. Some people have more lip intrusion, and they are bothered more by swelling or too small mouthpiece
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Douglas James

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
So let me see if I understand it….

Your lips swells up. How do you know this?

Can you see it? After playing does any mention that your lips look big?
If not, it’s only a little of swelling.

Is it true that you think it’s too swollen because you can’t get your Lois to buzz in the mouthpiece? If that’s the only thing, there are lots of reasons people have bad response after their warmup. Usually a too small or too shallow mouthpiece is like that. After a bit of playing it shuts off cuz of swelling, but it’s not much swelling. It’s really a lip intrusion issue then. Lots of people have that.

Is there any pain? If not you prob don’t have any more swelling that other players.

You say “my embouchure is right for me” which kind of sounds like you set up might be described by an onlooker as odd or unconventional. Is it?

If you have some sort of protruding tooth that can make a tiny little spot swell and cause all kinds of havoc. Do you have that?

It sounds like it’s a mouthpiece issue to me unless you have some kinds of major swelling. Everyone has swelling. Some people have more lip intrusion, and they are bothered more by swelling or too small mouthpiece

Hi lipshurt Thanks for responding.
1. ok, so my lip swells. meaning its not the entire lip. its just the little part of the upper top lip the "small nib" at the center of the upper lip. but it swells enough to stop the buzz, since when pressed against the bottom lip the "nib" or "lump"(i don't know what else to call it) hinders the lip vibration..

almost, so that the middle part of the lip closes around the center of the lip where it is swollen.

2. yes I can both see it and feel it swollen.. although, some days it does feel better than others. but its pretty visible, I have noticed it looks a lot like many other players lips that have that section of upper lip being swollen.

some days it is really noticeable. others it more or less the feeling of it swelling. in fact some days if I have played loudly, or in higher register for a long time, it actually feels slightly numb. but only if I have done a LOT of playing/practice, and I stop when it gets like that.

3. the only time it gets really swollen enough to stop the buzz, seems to be after a day where I played high to try to practice range. on light days, Its not so much of an issue. even tho the swelling is there.

4. its def not lip intrusion from what i can tell. I place my lip about 70% on the upper lip(like a French horn) feels like I can fit my entire lip in and there is no troubles. (I don't actually fit my entire lip in but it feels like I could) So its not choking the mouthpiece. but... I will look at that some more. The reason I use a 70%-30% embouchure is because of my lip swelling. it has more room that way. I used to play on a 50-50 upper/lower ratio. SO I have more room now in case the lip swells and also because there is little pressure on the top, lip and any pressure gets distributed evenly, on both lips.

I play a 3 C and seems like there is lots of room for my lip. even when swollen. I could probably go to a D or E cup, maybe the E could be an issue when swollen.

5. zero pain, and never have had any pain.

6. embouchure is fine, I had three teachers look at it in the last 35 days. and they all said "I see nothing wrong with your embouchure"

7, no my teeth are actually really flat, and I have buck teeth. I don't use enough pressure to actually press the teeth into my lips very much. I did that when I used too much pressure, now I can barely feel the mpc on my teeth.

8. mouthpiece issue. am going to have to explore this more. I used to play with a 5b and still had the same issue tho...

maybe its just normal swelling? does the lip eventually get hard in that spot?

so maybe this swelling is normal? one thing- the swelling goes away really fast when I use ice. (unless its a very bad chop day) when I ice the lip after practice, I recover very fast and am able to play again in an hour.

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas James wrote:
so maybe this swelling is normal?

I don't know about your lip, but if I were you I'd have that swollen message text looked at pronto.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a comeback player and I quit back 20+ years ago....I've been back at the trumpet for about 5 weeks.....[A] typical practice day would be about 1.5 hrs, and maybe 45-60 minutes of lip time. usually spread out over the day, sometimes not.

I'm sorry for your struggle. I've been battling an issue with lip swelling -- allergy related, in my case -- and know how frustrating it can be.

I don't know the cause of your issue, but it seems to me that 1.5 hours of practice time for someone who has only been playing for five weeks after a 20 year layoff probably isn't helping.

Quote:
Granted I did play a lot in the high register last couple days.

That's probably not helping either. At just five weeks into a comeback after such a long time off the horn you probably don't have an adequate foundation built for that.

Try cutting your daily practice time to about 20 minutes for a week or two and see if it helps. During that time, only play notes that require no strain. You can still accomplish a lot, even with those restrictions. Again, excessive practice (at your stage) might not be the cause, but it could certainly be contributing.

Good luck!
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: what is normal lip swelling? Reply with quote

Douglas James wrote:

I do not have an allergy to brass. and no known inflammation issues.

Assuming that your mouthpiece is silver plated, I think ruling out a silver allergy would be an even bigger priority. Even if you're confident that you're not allergic to brass or silver, allergies are complicated enough things that I'd still urge you to try a plastic mouthpiece. The go-to brand is probably Kelly - they're inexpensive and their 3C is much like a Bach 3C besides the material. There are other options including some remarkably cheap ones - I don't have particular reccomendations but others on this forum would.

Mike
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH Douglas. I also have similar struggles. Same as you, I have had several lessons and have been told things along the lines of, your setup looks fine, your embouchure is fine, etc. However, the more I study this and try to unlock the code to endurance and range, the more I am convinced there is something that needs to change in my approach. My embouchure may look fine from the outside, but I think inside the mpc cup (which can not be seen by an instructor) the top lip is rolling out into the cup.
I think you may find some experimentation is in order. For me, what seems to be the best approach is to try and "roll in" the lips so less of the top lip red does the vibrating. Additionally, I need to try and get the bottom lip more engaged. It is very hard to control and keep the top lip from rolling out or unfurling into the mpc, primarily because that part of the lip structure vibrates so easily and makes playing lower and middle register easy.
One place to start as you experiment is looking into the Balanced Embouchure (BE) approach. I bought the book years ago, even took a lesson from the author Jeff Smiley, but have had mixed results as I keep trying it. However, there are many testimonials and great success stories from virtually everyone that follows the method. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
Douglas James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Douglas James wrote:
so maybe this swelling is normal?

I don't know about your lip, but if I were you I'd have that swollen message text looked at pronto.

hi halflip. haha I see the font is a little bit large. I couldn't read the tiny font it used originally so I made it medium font. somehow this is what it gave me. 😜🤦‍♂️
Douglas James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
I am a comeback player and I quit back 20+ years ago....I've been back at the trumpet for about 5 weeks.....[A] typical practice day would be about 1.5 hrs, and maybe 45-60 minutes of lip time. usually spread out over the day, sometimes not.

I'm sorry for your struggle. I've been battling an issue with lip swelling -- allergy related, in my case -- and know how frustrating it can be.

I don't know the cause of your issue, but it seems to me that 1.5 hours of practice time for someone who has only been playing for five weeks after a 20 year layoff probably isn't helping.

Quote:
Granted I did play a lot in the high register last couple days.

That's probably not helping either. At just five weeks into a comeback after such a long time off the horn you probably don't have an adequate foundation built for that.

Try cutting your daily practice time to about 20 minutes for a week or two and see if it helps. During that time, only play notes that require no strain. You can still accomplish a lot, even with those restrictions. Again, excessive practice (at your stage) might not be the cause, but it could certainly be contributing.

Good luck!

Thanks Dayton. ok. I will try lowering my practice time. I will likely try most recommendations to see what works. I can say though that I am not tired when I stop. at least I don't feel tired, my chops are usually working good(except for the swelling), and my problem might be I have an addiction to trumpet. The discipline for me is in putting the horn down, not picking it up. especially if I get on a roll, and im sounding good. I'll do a compromise and try 30 mins a day. but the warm up alone is maybe 10 -15 mins? doesn't leave much time for scales studies and repertoire???
Douglas James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: what is normal lip swelling? Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
Douglas James wrote:

I do not have an allergy to brass. and no known inflammation issues.

Assuming that your mouthpiece is silver plated, I think ruling out a silver allergy would be an even bigger priority. Even if you're confident that you're not allergic to brass or silver, allergies are complicated enough things that I'd still urge you to try a plastic mouthpiece. The go-to brand is probably Kelly - they're inexpensive and their 3C is much like a Bach 3C besides the material. There are other options including some remarkably cheap ones - I don't have particular recommendations but others on this forum would.

Mike

Thank you Mike. Yea you make a good point. but wouldn't I have issues on the lower lip too? its funny you are the second person that mentioned that it could be an allergy. So I think Ill buy a good one off amazon. Can't have too many mouthpieces its worth a shot.
Douglas James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Welcome to TH Douglas. I also have similar struggles. Same as you, I have had several lessons and have been told things along the lines of, your setup looks fine, your embouchure is fine, etc. However, the more I study this and try to unlock the code to endurance and range, the more I am convinced there is something that needs to change in my approach. My embouchure may look fine from the outside, but I think inside the mpc cup (which can not be seen by an instructor) the top lip is rolling out into the cup.
I think you may find some experimentation is in order. For me, what seems to be the best approach is to try and "roll in" the lips so less of the top lip red does the vibrating. Additionally, I need to try and get the bottom lip more engaged. It is very hard to control and keep the top lip from rolling out or unfurling into the mpc, primarily because that part of the lip structure vibrates so easily and makes playing lower and middle register easy.
One place to start as you experiment is looking into the Balanced Embouchure (BE) approach. I bought the book years ago, even took a lesson from the author Jeff Smiley, but have had mixed results as I keep trying it. However, there are many testimonials and great success stories from virtually everyone that follows the method. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

hi Idwoods. I had to laugh at your response. not because its not a good suggestion it is, but because since I started I have been obsessed about my embouchure. in the 5 weeks since I have started I have read every single method book I could find because I wanted to start off right. Everything from TCE to Gordon , to Spaulding, Stevens etc. When I was playing back many years ago, we didn't have all this tech to give us information so easily. The ONLY thing I had then was the Farkas, which I think is a great book. The balanced embouchure, that is the pivot system?

SO I made a change in my embouchure. Its much better. my lip does in fact roll in slightly. this keeps my lips from entering the mpc, and it allows for an ease of high register. I have spent hours looking at a visualizer, checking - rechecking. etc. I have had teachers look, I have recorded myself on a camera, and I have even had a diagnostic trumpet teacher specialist look at my chops. as far as I can tell they are fine. I was getting this issue back when I first started and I was playing in the red back then. I like the Stevens method. he really suggests rolling the lip in to the point of the lips being slightly over the teeth and he claims this is the "only way" to play high notes. I have had early success with range and endurance that I didn't have before. I will write a post on that in the coming days. I have gained about a 3rd in "workable" range since I started and if not for lip swelling I would be playing double high C's. I seem to be able to play for hours on a good day and not tire, even in the mid to higher registers. I theorize that high register has nothing to do with strength other than to play a long time in that high a register there does need to be strength. I believe this because some very beginner students can hit a High G (double G) or higher on thier first try. and this is confirmed in the Stevens method, when he states that often students can hit a double c right away. the logic is , for me anyway, that if it was strength that was required to hit a double high C, then that would be like a beginner powerlifter being able to bench press 400 lbs off the bat, and that's not gonna happen. So it can't be about embouchure strength. I applied this reasoning to my practice and within 3 weeks I loosened up my lips through less pressure and I am now able to hit some very high notes, maybe double G or higher. of course, I can't play in that register for long yet. and that's where the strength would come in, but my range was about a C on the staff when I first started and maybe a G or A on the staff when I quit last time. Now I am able to play the first phrase of the Telemann D concerto (adagio) effortlessly(till my lips swell and/or tire). my endurance grew, my range grew. Likely because I had a strong embouchure to begin with, and most likely because I was pinching my lips as I ascended. I caught myself doing this often, I changed it and relaxed the inner lips in the mpc, and that's when I started hitting high notes. still a long way to go, but its very interesting. The other thing I did was rest. this is the biggest # 1 factor I believe. I never rested when I played decades before. If you lift weights you cannot lift the same muscles every day. they need time to repair. I used this strategy and noticed a huge improvement. so i rest one or even two days a week. This lets my lips swelling go down and it builds the chops. thanks Ill look into that link, and read about it. its the only one I didnt do a lot of research on. 🙏🙂
Douglas James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: woke up today after resting yesterday. yesterday I couldn't even get a buzz in the mpc. later on I managed to get the lips working slightly, and play maybe 10 minutes, possibly even less. this morning. same. absolutely no buzz. lips still swollen or chops are broken. or something.

lips feel swollen. like a tough spot that won't vibrate formed on my upper lip over the last two days. So lip is absolutely useless.

The middle part of my lip is now solid. I'm guessing upper lip is swollen so badly I can't even get a sound.

I am done. crushed. very sad. no one, no method, can actually help.

So, that proves there must be a genetic flaw. I have never had two days where my lips couldn't buzz at all. not in the mpc. not on trumpet, and not freebuzzing.

I quit for this reason two decades ago and went through 4 years of frustration trying to fix it. and I am not willing to go through that frustration again. thanks for all the responses.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: what is normal lip swelling? Reply with quote

Douglas James wrote:

Thank you Mike. Yea you make a good point. but wouldn't I have issues on the lower lip too? its funny you are the second person that mentioned that it could be an allergy. So I think Ill buy a good one off amazon. Can't have too many mouthpieces its worth a shot.

You're welcome I agree the situation you're describing doesn't really sound like an allergy but IMO it's well worth knowing for certain.

Mike
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Are you using a new 3C mouthpiece or the one you played 20 years ago?
2. Do you polish your mouthpiece frequently with silver polish?
3. Have you ever tried a gold plated, stainless steel, or a plastic mouthpiece?
4. Have you ever tried a Wedge mouthpiece?
5. Have you tried a larger mouthpiece such as a Bach 1 1/4 or Yamaha 17B4?
6. Do you have any general allergies that you sometimes take allergy meds for?

I understand your feelings of frustration - for years I thought everyone's lips bleed when they played.

You have not yet, explored all options.
I would experience the same things you are experiencing if I polished my mouthpiece every week with 3M or tried to play on a plastic mouthpiece. I cannot tolerate the "friction". 3M leaves behind a wax protectant that increases friction, plastic has more friction too. I like to play "wet" not dry.
For me either no polish, stainless steel or gold plate.

I'm also sensitive to a lot of "undercut" on the rim - leads to vibration cuts and swelling (not from pressure). After years, I settled on a large diameter mouthpiece with not much undercut and an "inverse lay" rim. It puts most of the pressure closer to the outside of the rim leaving the inside free to move around.
NEILL SANDERS 17DA vs. BACH 1-1/2C( I play on the Sanders 17M which has a cup a little smaller the the Bach 1 1/2C)
The Wedge mouthpiece does something similar but in a different way.

Again - you have not explored all of your options.
CaptPat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a comeback player I found getting rest is important, so my practices are a series of 30-minute periods, in each period I play for 20 minutes and rest for 10, rinse and repeat 3 sometimes 4 times. I also take one day a week off from practice. I recently switched from a 3C to a 1 1/2C as the former was closing off near the end of each session, things are better with the larger MP, and my wife says I sound better.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any lesion on the inside of your lip? It would look like a small blister.

I used to have a habit of biting my lip when eating after a lot of playing. I would then get a canker sore, which would increase the swelling and make playing impossible.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, give this stuff a try:

https://www.robinsonsremedies.com/blog/product/lip-renew/

I use it after every practice session and sometimes in the middle of a session. Helps keep the swelling down and feels good on tired chops.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would listen to Dayton and do what he suggests.

You’re only 5 weeks in! You can’t expect to not have consequences from over practicing, and it sounds like that may have been what you were doing years ago as well. Trumpet requires boat loads of patience.

Since it was mentioned, I don’t know why anyone would polish their mouthpiece. Keep it clean though. If it’s tarnished, use the tin foil, baking soda & hot water method to clean it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: