• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Matching Flugelhorn Mouthpiece To Mouthpiece on My Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Matching Flugelhorn Mouthpiece To Mouthpiece on My Trumpet Reply with quote

What flugelhorn mouthpiece would match the Bach 7c I use on my trumpet? I'm looking for a dark mouthpiece for my flugelhorn. Large Morse shank. Denis Wick, Curry, and, or Marcinkiewicz as long it's a quality mouthpiece. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your help.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest a Bach 7C FL until I saw that you need a large Morse shank.

Curry would seem to be an obvious choice, except for the fact that most of his standard series rims are based on Bach Mt. Vernon rims; I think all of his size 7 pieces use a Mt. Vernon 7C rim. This means that the rim shape and diameter may be somewhat different from your trumpet mouthpiece.

You could order a Curry 7FL (regular depth cup) or 7FLD (extra deep cup) from Mouthpiece Express and try them out -- they have a return policy (right now it looks like the 7FL is only in stock with Curry's new "universal shank", which is a little more costly but will fit a large Morse receiver).

If the diameter is close enough to your trumpet mouthpiece but the rim shape is not, you could have the rim modified (via digital CNC machining) by Jim New -- he has more modern Bach 7C rim scans on file, or he could scan your trumpet mouthpiece to guarantee an exact match.

If the Curry diameter itself seems too large, you might have to get your trumpet mouthpiece scanned and have Mark Curry custom scale a flugel mouthpiece to those rim specs.

Other makers may have mouthpieces with rim shapes and diameters close to a modern Bach 7C, but what I have described should get you the closest with the least amount of 'trial and error' experimentation.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Horn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Yamaha Standard Series Flugelhorn Mouthpiece 13F4? Is that close to the Bach 7c?
73' Getzen Eterna
75' Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
88' Kanstul F. Besson Meha
2018' Bach Stradivarius 180S43
2021' CarolBrass Pocket Trumpet
2024' Carolbrass Phat Puppy Compact Flugelhorn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn wrote:
What about the Yamaha Standard Series Flugelhorn Mouthpiece 13F4? Is that close to the Bach 7c?

Using the "Unofficial Mouthpiece Comparator", I was unable to find a Yamaha 13F4 scan to compare to a Bach 7C FL. However, I was able to compare the Bach 7C and Yamaha 13C4 trumpet mouthpieces:

As you can see, they're quite different (click on the image to see an enlarged view). I believe a comparison of the flugel pieces would yield a similar result.

From your first post, I gather you want something really close to the 7C trumpet rim. I think you would get a closer match trying a Curry 7FL or 7FLD from Mouthpiece Express first. (It's a low-risk experiment, given that you can return the pieces if you don't like them.)

If you want to try a Yamaha 13F4, I'm sure your local music store would have one that you could try onsite.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a comparison of the Bach 7c Flugelhorn mouthpiece a Yamaha 14C4 Flugelhorn mouthpiece. Pretty good match.

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
This is a comparison of the Bach 7c Flugelhorn mouthpiece a Yamaha 14C4 Flugelhorn mouthpiece. Pretty good match.

It's worth a try, particularly if the OP can try one at a music store. (I think you mean Yamaha 14F4, though.)

I am a little leery of trusting the scans when Bach lists the cup diameter of a 7C at 16.20 mm, while Yamaha lists the inner diameter of the 14F4 at 16.76 mm. (I know there is a consistency problem between manufacturers regarding these measurements, but . . .)

Also, the Yamaha scan is from Vennture, while the Bach scan is not.

Nevertheless, it's worth a try.

Horn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the Curry 7FLD online. Time will tell. Thanks fir all your help here. Best Forum ever!
73' Getzen Eterna
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn wrote:
Picked up the Curry 7FLD online. Time will tell.

Let us know how that works out. Also let us know if you think the Yamaha 14F4 rim is indeed similar to the Bach 7C rim (if you wind up trying one in a music store).

Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry FLD will definitely meet your dark (or soft and mellow) criteria, but Mark isn't kidding when he says it's deep.

I have a Stork 5FLS, a Stork 5FL and a Curry 5FLD. I love the sound of the Curry, but it can wear me out pretty quickly. The 5FLS is a tad too bright, and the 5FL is a good compromise.

But you'll never know until you try it.
Horn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to get the Curry 7Flm, but they are not out there in the large morse taper. I think the 7fld will be tiring, but I am hopeful that I can build up a better endurance to meet the demands. Again, thanks guys for your help.
73' Getzen Eterna

Last edited by Horn on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn wrote:
I wanted to get the Curry 7lm, but they are not out there in the large morse taper. I think the 7fld will be tiring, but I am hopeful that I can build up a better endurance to meet the demands.

I think you can get a 7FL with the universal shank, which will definitely fit a large Morse receiver (assuming you don't mind paying $20 extra for that shank). The FL is the 'middle of the road' cup, backbore, and throat.

If you meant Curry 7FLM when you said "Curry 7lm", those are a lot less tiring, but Mark Curry is now promoting his "J" cup setup in place of the FLM. I have some of these and can attest to their positive qualities. Mouthpiece Express has the 7FLJ in stock, again with the universal taper at a $20 premium ($89.99).

Horn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the Curry 7FlJ on Mouthpiece Express. Looking forward to try it out to see how it performs. Thanks Halflip for your help!
73' Getzen Eterna
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn wrote:
Just bought the Curry 7FlJ on Mouthpiece Express. Looking forward to try it out to see how it performs. Thanks Halflip for your help!

I remember when that mouthpiece was a special order and was not listed on any site. I had Mark make me one and I still have it, even though I no longer have a flugelhorn. I loaned to a guy in a big band last night and he loved it. The concept according to MC when I bought mine was to give more projection for big band work.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: