• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1970s Bach Mercedes trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: 1970s Bach Mercedes trumpet Reply with quote

Well, I haven’t bought a horn in years, and have sold off all but the “keepers”, but I bought a trumpet on eBay the other day and it arrived a few hours ago. According to the serial #, it was made around 1976, and is basically a cheaper, no-frills Stradivarius. No nickel trim, no tuning slide brace, a 2-piece bell (I believe it’s a 38 ), and a 3rd valve slide with an adjustable finger ring and water key. The bore measures .456”, which Bach called an MP (medium plus) bore. It plays pretty well and is in really good condition for its age, and the price was right!

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Dale! That's a very good looking horn.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Congratulations, Dale! That's a very good looking horn.

Thanks! I bought it thinking it might be a good alternate choice to my Stradivarius trumpet when playing in crowded, “high traffic” venues. Of course, I wouldn’t want it damaged, but if a stumblebum is going to knock my horn over trying to get off stage for a break, I’d rather it not be my favorite one.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a „high traffic“ (nice phrase, Dale) horn for a while but the Mercedes wasn’t on my radar. Rather looking at Getzen 300 or Yamaha 3335/4335. Over here, Mercedeses (plural?) are very rare and not so cheap. Plus of course there is the vintage Bach thing they have going for them. Nice looking horn, must be lighter than a regular Strad, I presume.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Did you actually measure the bore size? Some of the later ones were made with the .459 valve section.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5th-10th grade horn was a Mercedes, which I guess would have been early Elkhart.

I don't remember the third slide ring as adjustable on that one, though it may have been. I thought it was a dog, but I did not have the discerning knowledge or dedication to make a horn really sing that I have now. I picked it up once or twice after college but quickly put it back down.

Sold it in the late 1980s to a guy I worked with who also played a Mercedes in HS. I saw him at a work reunion last year and he still has it, still plays it, still loves the sound. I guess the early Elkhart Mercedes, while not quite the "poor man's Strad" of the NY-Mt. Vernon eras, could still hold their own qualitywise. I don't regret selling it, it found a good home and my comeback horns hold no negative baggage for me like that one did.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I have been looking for a „high traffic“ (nice phrase, Dale) horn for a while but the Mercedes wasn’t on my radar. Rather looking at Getzen 300 or Yamaha 3335/4335. Over here, Mercedeses (plural?) are very rare and not so cheap. Plus of course there is the vintage Bach thing they have going for them. Nice looking horn, must be lighter than a regular Strad, I presume.

It does feel a bit lighter than my Stradivarius. I wasn’t really looking that hard for an extra Bb trumpet, but when I saw that it wasn’t getting many bids, I threw in a pretty low maximum bid and got it for $175…😄
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Looks good! Did you actually measure the bore size? Some of the later ones were made with the .459 valve section.

Thanks! I pulled the second valve slide out and measured the inside with my digital calipers. It wasn’t .456 on the nose, but was within a few 10,000ths of it.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mt. Vernon and New York Mercedes models were just about identical to the Strads in appearance and had either .453 or .456 bores, depending on the years.

I used to own a later version like yours and thought it played well.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier Mercedes, pre-Elkhart horns did not have an adjustable 3rd valve slide ring. They also looked like a Strad with the double tuning slide braces.

The Elkhart horns are a new and different design from the originals.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
The earlier Mercedes, pre-Elkhart horns did not have an adjustable 3rd valve slide ring. They also looked like a Strad with the double tuning slide braces.

The Elkhart horns are a new and different design from the originals.

Right. Mine is a later one, for sure, and has the same bell lettering as the Mercedes II, but without the “II”. I’m pretty sure it came from the era when Bach sold both models. I wish it was an earlier model, but then it wouldn’t have sold for $175…lol. It seems to play ok in my practice room, but I’ll take it to a rehearsal in a couple days and find out how it really plays.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale-

I think you got a great deal on a trumpet that plays so well. I sold mine when an accomplished player and teacher offered me $350 after playing it. He was quite impressed!

I owned several of the earlier Mercedes models, but they all felt a little restrictive after years of playing my .460 bore Destino. They all exhibited Strad quality and were fun to look at and play around with, but ultimately, I decided they were not for me.

I hope you get the chance to play an earlier model, Dale, but you are probably looking at $1,000 to $1,500 if you can find one.

Steve
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bore measures .456”, which Bach called an MP (medium plus) bore.

The new Bach 19037X is also a M+ bore. Here's what they have to say about the 0.456 bore: "Orchestral players appreciate the beauty of sound and the agility provided by the .456" bore size to balance their larger mouthpieces. Commercial players looking for a more compact and focused sound while screaming in the upper register will not find an easier instrument than this."

Enjoy your "new" horn!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mercedes plays well with others! I played it in a 1 hour church orchestra rehearsal tonight, and was pretty pleased with it. The sound doesn’t have quite as much body as my Stradivarius does, but it played very well in tune and had a slightly easier upper register than my Strad. Reading some older reviews of the later Elkhart Mercedes had me worried about the possibility of a horn that wouldn’t play in tune, but this one is a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: