• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One of Miles' Last Horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: One of Miles' Last Horns Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's a modified version of the standard medium large Holton Committee. I had a stock Holton Committee, T3460. Sure wish they would've used those short stroke valves like they did on Miles' horn.

I'd wager that horn is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_SQAaogPrU&ab_channel=GriegoMouthpieces
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be the one that sold for $220,000 at auction 4-5 years ago, but it is not.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, why do you say Holton? The video says Martin.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Horn Reply with quote

At the time that horn was made, Holton had the rights to the Martin name and were making their version of the Committee. It wasn’t the same as the vintage horns.

It was quite.a while ago, but the guy who designed the Holton version of the Martin Committee, Larry Ramirez, had chimed in on a TH discussion regarding Committees. He talked about his own design, and how it differed from the original.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
At the time that horn was made, Holton had the rights to the Martin name and were making their version of the Committee. It wasn’t the same as the vintage horns.

It was quite.a while ago, but the guy who designed the Holton version of the Martin Committee, Larry Ramirez, had chimed in on a TH discussion regarding Committees. He talked about his own design, and how it differed from the original.

Yes. Correct.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we all know Miles would have been Miles with just about any capable, functional horn.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: One of Miles' Last Horns Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I'm guessing it's a modified version of the standard medium large Holton Committee. I had a stock Holton Committee, T3460. Sure wish they would've used those short stroke valves like they did on Miles' horn.

I'd wager that horn is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_SQAaogPrU&ab_channel=GriegoMouthpieces

Dang, it’s gotta be in part the player but that’s about the sweetest sounding horn ever.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the YouTube video, that particular Miles Davis Martin Committee trumpet is stamped ST550 on the valve casing and the guy says (at the 7:45 minute mark) "I don't know what that is."

The ST550 was the Holton MF Admiral model trumpet. They also mention the number T3460 written on the shop card which was the Holton/Leblanc-made Martin trumpet made in Kenosha, Wisconsin in the early 1980s. The large bore Martin was numbered T3465, so the model numbers indicated the bore size.

I never saw a Martin T3460 Committee stamped "ST550" on the valve casing and the original wood shell case for the T3460 had a premium light tan suede leather covering. (I was a Holton/Leblanc dealer during that time and sold several of those instruments. I remember them quite well.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763

Last edited by plankowner110 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: One of Miles' Last Horns Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Sure wish they would've used those short stroke valves like they did on Miles' horn.

plankowner110 wrote:
In the YouTube video, that particular Miles Davis Martin Committee trumpet is stamped ST550 on the valve casing and the guy says (at the 7:45 minute mark) "I don't know what that is."

The ST550 was the Holton MF Admiral model trumpet. They also mention the number ST3460 written on the shop card which was the Holton/Leblanc-made Martin trumpet made in Kenosha, Wisconsin in the early 1980s.

It sounds like a competent tech could transplant an MF Admiral valve block into an ST3460 Committee and wind up with something approximating the Miles Davis horn . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeBlanc, who owned Holton and the other names on the marquee, such as Martin, made the valve sections for the trumpet in a similar way to the original Martin manufacture. I use a Holton valve spring for those valves as they are a short stroke and it works well. These springs are also great for Selmer, Benge, and other pistons of the shorter design.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sequence where they open the case, you can see „Martin“ followed by the Holton „triangle“ in the circle.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Martin Reply with quote

Sounds like a number of folks already have solved the numbers riddle on this one.

Miles apparently liked that ST 550 valve block, which was normally used for the intermediate Holton Admiral models. I had a standard T3460, and I would've greatly preferred the ST 550 valves instead. I found the valves they normally used of their stock Committees to be heavy.

"Dang, it’s gotta be in part the player but that’s about the sweetest sounding horn ever."

Definite truth to that: Chad M is a beautiful player! That being said, I think those later Holton versions of the Martin Committee sounded fantastic, especially the medium large bore version. I got ridiculed for saying it, but I was the lone cowboy that actually liked that version better than the vintage Committees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: