• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

basic high register

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: basic high register Reply with quote

i am determined to progress my playing using simple and common sense methods.
with range i am up to high C. i don't own it but can hit it. i hit it and sometimes hold it for an extra beat. having the energy you could play multiples but right now it's usually the one.
it's an uncomplicated matter. having a small measure of control over high C i am able to hit C# with valve 2. C will have to be worked on for a period of time before C# comes into any sort of focus.
better technique will hopefully come with time and observation.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question - how is your sound and technique down lower, from 5th space E and down?

Do you do a lot of long tones, articulation and flexibility work in your lower register?

It has always seemed to me that there's a correlation between how solid your foundation is in the "comfortable" register of the horn and how strong your upper register is.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt - I don't have much in the way of stratospheric range, but I have the ability to play a rock band gig where I have written notes up to about D# where I can cleanly play them, even in the 4th set of the night. For whatever that's worth.

I always wanted that really scorching upper range - up through G - but I've managed to do a lot of work for pay using everything from second ledger C on down.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: basic high register Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

------------------------------------------------
Do you have an idea of what a 'better technique' might be for you?
Are there technique 'faults' that you are trying to eliminate?
Do you have some aspects of technique that you are trying to develop?

My simplified view of 'simple and common sense methods' begins with -

The lip aperture must be adjusted to be CAPABLE of vibrating at the desired pitch when the trumpet is activated by air blown into it through the aperture.

The air pressure and flow MUST be adequate to activate the sounding of the desired pitch.

Actions that prohibits (or inhibits) those items are bad.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a clinic years ago where the speaker (I can't remember who it was. It was 50 years ago. Sue me.) said we can't play high notes because we don't play enough high notes. It didn't make sense at the time but I think I understand now.

So....practice high notes. How? Play Clarke #1. As high as you can go. This week maybe you'll own a G. Next week an Ab. Etc., etc.

Play Clarke #5. Everyday day. Memorize it. Maybe 6 months from now you'll own that High C.

Play the two octave Stamp articulation exercise. That's nearly a dozen high notes right there.

It's like pushups. How many can you do? 5? 10? Whatever. But if you do them everyday for a month, how many can you do then? More for sure.

High notes are like that.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: basic high register Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

------------------------------------------------
Do you have an idea of what a 'better technique' might be for you?
Are there technique 'faults' that you are trying to eliminate?
Do you have some aspects of technique that you are trying to develop?

My simplified view of 'simple and common sense methods' begins with -

The lip aperture must be adjusted to be CAPABLE of vibrating at the desired pitch when the trumpet is activated by air blown into it through the aperture.

The air pressure and flow MUST be adequate to activate the sounding of the desired pitch.

Actions that prohibits (or inhibits) those items are bad.

That's far more complicated than it needs to be, IMO.

"Better technique" can be summarized fairly simply - does it sound right or not? Is the sound focused and robust or not? Is articulation clean? Can you change articulation based on style? Is your sound vibrant, or is it saggy/unsupported?

I think sometimes we get FAR too caught up in the minutia of various aspects of technique, and it can be crippling to someone who is just trying to get things going.

Whatever happened to just putting time in working in a focused way on fundamentals in the practice room? Why do we always think we need to complicate things?

Let's take this gem for example:

"The lip aperture must be adjusted to be CAPABLE of vibrating at the desired pitch when the trumpet is activated by air blown into it through the aperture.

The air pressure and flow MUST be adequate to activate the sounding of the desired pitch. "

Well, how is an inexperienced person supposed to KNOW those things? How does an inexperienced player determine whether or not the air pressure and flow are adequate, or just what in the heck their aperture is actually doing?

Do pro players even know? Do they even bother to think about things in those terms? I certainly don't. Maybe I'm the wrong one, but I do most of my work on the horn by way of feel and sound, and those two often go hand in hand.

Sheesh - we try so hard to turn trumpet playing into rocket science, and it doesn't need to be. Not when so many of the fundamentals can be worked out with sufficient time in the practice room working to improve the basics.

The two most critical things an aspiring player has at their disposal to help them learn? Their ears. And it can usually be boiled down to a very simple question:

Does it sound right?

Yes. Reinforce it.
No. Work on improving it.

Is range an issue? (pertaining to the OP's question of "basic" high register.)

Yes. Work basic fundamentals in a comfortable register.
No. Keep doing what you're doing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we hear and read is only a suggestion. It might not apply to us.

Adding to the others, I'd say that it's incumbent on every trumpet player to:
- pre-hear what excellent tone sounds like
- pre-hear the pitches they want to play
- develop sensitivity (yes, over time) to what they feel inside the embouchure, oral cavity, and trunk
- be ready to adjust any variable inside there, gently and incrementally
- listen carefully to the tone produced, and adjust if necessary
- keep what works, and write down a reminder (in their own way) in case they forget.
- refine and repeat.

It's up to each of us to work with our own body to make music.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick and onlyson are hitting good analogies. Mine is also athletic, but not pushups. It's training for a longer race like a half marathon or a marathon.

Have a strong base first (middle range). Then stretch that range, slowly and patiently.

I will add one last wrinkle. If you are doing this on your own - and there is no reason you shouldn't - you will need to experiment with various embouchures. A pre brute "more air" or "faster air" without some sort of embouchure adjustment garnered me inconsistent results. I made one small adjustment and that brought me consistency up to E. I don't play for anything other than my own enjoyment so I kind of stopped there, though I occasionally stretch for the F, but if I wanted to hit the G all the time I'd employ the same stretch method with the embouchure. I understand it gets harder as the partials get more narrow, kind of like going from a 3 hour marathon to a 2:30 might not be awful, but getting to 2:15 would be. But the important thing is that it has to be your discovery, about what changes you make in embouchure help you get there. You're right, it's simple and common sense, like Edison trying 99 light bulbs before the 100th worked.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some very good ideas presented here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that has helped me a lot in the past is practicing the low, middle, and upper register at very soft dynamics. There's some great youtube videos out there that demonstrate this.

Everyone's embouchure is different but for me the soft dynamic practicing does two things, it helps train the embouchure to form a small aperture and it helps me train my arms/hands to apply less mouthpiece pressure. This can be done with any exercises, Clarke, Arban, Schlossberg, etc.

Alan Vizzutti's book "High Notes" has a number of pages at the beginning where he talks through some great concepts. The exercises in the book all recommend practicing between pp-mf dynamic levels.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: basic high register Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
That's far more complicated than it needs to be, IMO.

It's actually simpler and more true than MOST make it.

trickg wrote:
"Better technique" can be summarized fairly simply - does it sound right or not? Is the sound focused and robust or not? Is articulation clean? Can you change articulation based on style? Is your sound vibrant, or is it saggy/unsupported?

These are great indicators of better technique, yes.

trickg wrote:
Let's take this gem for example:

"The lip aperture must be adjusted to be CAPABLE of vibrating at the desired pitch when the trumpet is activated by air blown into it through the aperture.

The air pressure and flow MUST be adequate to activate the sounding of the desired pitch. "

Well, how is an inexperienced person supposed to KNOW those things? How does an inexperienced player determine whether or not the air pressure and flow are adequate, or just what in the heck their aperture is actually doing?

Because you achieve your desired result, as you pointed out.

trickg wrote:
Sheesh - we try so hard to turn trumpet playing into rocket science, and it doesn't need to be. Not when so many of the fundamentals can be worked out with sufficient time in the practice room working to improve the basics.

Here's the thing, it's not that complicated, it is simply what MUST be true; personally, I think it is as "common sense" as it gets: the lips must be available to vibrate at the pitch required, the air must be able to get through the lips, and the other "ingredients" should be aiding those conditions.

trickg wrote:
The two most critical things an aspiring player has at their disposal to help them learn? Their ears.

Yes, but sometimes a player can hear when a thing is "wrong" but start to do funky things to make it "better" or just happen at all. When we know what ingredients are necessary to the equation (lips must be able to vibrate, air must be able to flow through, etc.), then we can say, "ok well things are shutting down after __note. Am I doing something funny with my lips? Am I shutting off my air?" It is simply a diagnostic tool (truth is very helpful sometimes).
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand with that, I'm out - with the armchair experts (and who knows how qualified they actually are, or how much real-world actual gigging experience they have) now proliferating on this forum and complicating things unnecessarily, it's time for me to take a hiatus from the stupidity once again.

And it's always the same old garbage - you get guys who want to parse every little thing in some kind of bizarre effort to prove they know more. The net result is that it muddies the waters for people just trying to find some simple ways to get better.
- ACB Doubler

Last edited by trickg on Thu May 02, 2024 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not aimed at anyone in particular but - Yep.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
The net result is that it muddies the waters for people just trying to find some simple ways to get better.

I agree! Enjoy the time off.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pompous thoughts.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
thanks for the pompous thoughts.

See the note.
Hear the note.
Be the note.

(Oh, and "feed your lawn . . . feed it.")

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning
In your post Mograph if I was to pick out two words you used "Body" and "Trunk" someone posted a day or so ago a video of the Doc playing and I was struck by how much body and trunk he was using - the way he was dropping his shoulders going high.
I am NOT a high note player ¹ but in a quest for more endurance I have decided to think more about body and trunk playing in the Staff these last couple of days - my thinking being the more "heavy lifting" (even for NOT high notes) I can do lower down, below my neck, the better for anything above my neck.

I think this is a great Forum and one of the reasons is the discussion it provokes so hope to see you back some day Trickg.

cheers Steve

Note ¹ I think you guys with mastery above the staff are like F1 drivers and there is always something to glean from your thoughts for an ordinary car guy like me.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind, there's a difference between support and tension.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kehaulani
Very good point and my goal is to take tension away - from everything above the neck especially - bit fanciful I know but my idea right now when i'm playing - after a large relaxed inhale - as if breathing the fresh air at 6 in the morning outside the tent by the Loch - I have now set up "The Wave" the foot of the wave is in the pit of my tummy and I make sure I can feel it as it arches right through my body.. mouth and eventually the tip of the wave is out of the bell of the horn where I try to "let go" of the Note . so I'm trying (more consciously than before) to support the phrase of music on this wave (of supported air)
I warned you - a bit fanciful!
cheers Steve

PS I'm into Waves.. i took my Number 1 Supporter a month ago on a slow bus from Lisbon to Nazare in Portugal where they have the world's biggest.. and it was flat calm - a big disappointment (for me)- but the bus ride back was great - as it always is.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyson wrote:
... we can't play high notes because we don't play enough high notes. ...

That's what one of my teacher's told me several years ago. Hearing those words changed my playing for the better.
During my practice session I just played a lot more between G (top of staff) and High C. It didn't take me long to own High C.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York is a big state and I’ve seen you post on here a lot. Its obvious that you enjoy the trumpet. If you’re close to somebody that can teach high notes and good trumpet technique maybe there’s somebody close by that can help out too. You’ll get it!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

observations on the high register.
i play in a chet baker style and the human singing voice doesn't go to or above our high C. to the purposes of playing i don't need the register much or mostly at all. it's a more relaxed circumstance from a player that needs the register to be employed.
you can't ignore the physics of the instrument and having a high register is beneficial to performance. if you can stretch the scheme higher, you can play the notes below easier. on the personal level it's a challenge and i won't back down from its pursuit while i have breath.
we go through the journey and i won't know how i feel until i get there. perhaps at E there will be no reason to go further, or maybe it's G. other people have and there is no reason to believe i can't do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: