• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bye Bye Birdie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maid of the Mist

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Bye Bye Birdie Reply with quote

Has anyone played this show? And is it a lead trumpet book?

Thanks
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes played the show. However, it was back in the summer of '84 with the actual Broadway version book. I remember lots of D's and a couple F's and G's (like on honestly Sincere) plus some technical stuff on the Shriner's Ballet and What did I ever see in him tunes. However, there may be watered down versions being used nowadays.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played on three separate productions of BBB. In 2017 I did two of those at different high schools in successive weeks. Tempo and timing interpretation between the two productions was kind of interesting.

I'm a little surprised this show is still done, especially because the title character, Birdie, IMO is basically a child molester. I'm fairly sure the inspiration for this story was Elvis and Priscilla. Then again, he got away with it.

Below are my show notes. At the very bottom, you'll see that my show notes are a continually growing and editing process. On the last two productions that I did, I did not get a chance to check to see the accuracy of notes in Entre Acte B. When you play the show, if you get the chance to check those out, would you please let me know?

BBB Show Notes:

3 parts - 1 & 2 together, 3rd separate
Bb - trumpet only, all 3 books
2nd book is sometimes very independent from the 1st book (solos, lines).

Cup, St., Harmon with and without stem (with stem is marked “Tite Harmon”), Plunger (2nd), “Tight” cup.
All three parts have “H.O.B.” in Overture “B.”

Range: 1 F button (“Spanish Rose”), 4 Es. a whole buncha Ds & C#s.

A fairly fast show. Several dialogue sections of 4 to 4.5 minutes.

WRONG NOTE: 1st Trpt, #12 “One Boy,” the fermata a beat before H, should be a written D, not a written C.

#14 “Honestly Sincere” 2nd book chord solos (ms 131 to 135).

#17 “One Hundred Ways” is a blow.

#29 “Shriner’s Ballet” is a toughie - fingers, dbl tongue, dbl #s, endurance, etc.
A LOT of playing.
Playing & turning pages
The last 6 pages of playing have two 8-bar rests (back-to-back), and those are toward the beginning of this section. Other than that, you’re playing those entire 6 pages.

#41 “Bows and Exit” goes to split single line part in the 15th ms.
Also probably the WORST Bows/Exit ever written. 3 pages of playing with only 6 ms (total) rest.

Two Overtures (A & B) and Entre’ Actes (A & B)

Wrong notes to still check:
Entre’ Act B, 4 & 5 ms after G / ms 57 & 58, 1st Trpt. Written notes do not sound right.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=147567&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I'm a little surprised this show is still done, especially because the title character, Birdie, IMO is basically a child molester.

Oh come on, lighten up!
(Says the guy who met the girl that would become his second wife when he was playing trumpet for the American Continental Circus and she was in the audience in Missoula, Montana on July 15, 1987 - about two months after her 17th birthday).
For the record, she did tell me she was 20 and I believed her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: