• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Boosey and Hawkes Imperial Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaroncf2008

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Boosey and Hawkes Imperial Cornet Reply with quote

I was recently in London and I visited the Guards Museum near Buckingham's Palace. I saw some old cornets in there from "Boosey and Hawkes - Imperial" and I was wondering if these are high quality cornets and where I should look to purchase one? They don't seem too expensive and would be a fun gimmick to play on with a cool story.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info should be anticipated to come from people actually living on the island - but this much I can contribute: When I started playing in our brass band, in Sweden, round late 1950s the Imperials were thought of as rather high class horns. I´ve played both the B-flat and the E-flat cornets. Both fine horns from that period; however compared with the US horns (Getzen Eterna) that arrived beginning 1970s thin, brighter , smaller sound. As I recall the E-flat cornet had some tuning problems around G top,of staff.

Just my two cents, or should I write two pennies?
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People made do with what was available. For so long B&H was the brass band instrument. They eventually owned Besson as well and the two rands made almost identical instruments. They even added adjustable slides to them and called then Sovereigns. The designs did evolve a little...

The easiest way to go is just not bother with them at all. They do not play well with others. Period.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Imperial Eb cornet. While I've never played Eb with a group, I couldn't resist buying it. I love the way it plays. Years ago I wondered if I could find something I liked better. I tried everything from a new Yamaha and Carol Brass to used Getzens and others. I still liked the warm sound of the Imperial best. I still have no place to play it. I found it to play well in tune with a Curry DC mouthpiece.

Today's Trumpet: 1937 Cleveland Toreador
Today's Cornet: York Eminence
Today's Mouthpieces: Cleveland T and C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: