• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best bang for the buck--valve replating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you who've researched getting valves replated: Who have you found that offers the best job for the most reasonable price?

I've been in need of this service for some time, but I've seen prices well over $300 per horn from some places. I'm looking for a place that will do a good job for about $200-$250.

I'd prefer someone close by (Dillon's charges too much and has too slow of a turnaround time) New York City if possible, but I'll ship if necessary, as it's not my main horn.

Thanks,
mk

[ This Message was edited by: musiclifeline on 2004-01-28 14:45 ]
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicians Repair here in Indianapolis will do it for $205.00 but they send it to Anderson's Plating so to ship it direct to Anderson's must be cheaper. I plan on calling them for a price but read the thread on Anderson's, says the numbers don't work.

Bob
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Anderson in the past, and they wanted over $300. Yet, everyone sends them to Anderson. Go figure. Melk Musik charges between $215 and $245.

Steve
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sending off one of my horns to Dr. Valve for a complete Valve Overhaul.

He charges $350 which includes the replating and custom fitting of the valves. I hear he is worth every penny!

Check out some of his work:

http://www.doctorvalve.com/Projects/index.php?d=Valve_Overhaul_Preparation
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably any company that does a valve job will also custom fit the valve in the casing of the horn... right?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borodi Music charges $35 per valve. I am currently waiting for an L.A. OLDS cornet they have overhauled. I will report results when I get my new baby!

[ This Message was edited by: Uberopa on 2004-01-28 15:48 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much material on mine. I had to send it back into the backroom to have one or two buffed several times until they worked just right.

Kanstuls.-- approx. $80 a valve.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andersons is more expensive going direct than going thru a repair service that uses them. Go figure. They also do not do valve alignments.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of comments about Anderson. First, I have had three or four sets of valves done there and they were all perfect. Looked perfect and moved perfectly. Ready to play. What they did is simply described in the name of the service..."Replate and refit". They do not align or replace felts and washers and shims. Second, they have a trade price for commercial clients and a retail price for the individual trumpet owner. The trade price is far below the retail so that repair facilities can send thier valve work to them, and make a profit. I don't think Anderson wants to compete on that level.

They do horn complete rebuilds, including dent removal, disassembly and reassembly, stripping, buffing and re-lacquering for one price...don't know how much it is for the man on the street. I have seen a badly dented horn restored by them and it did look terrific.

I believe that thier trade prices are fair to those in the business. I think they keep the prices to the individual owner artificially high for a few reasons, most having to do with thier regular trade customers. kpb
tptpt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supportlive jazz wrote " believe that thier trade prices are fair to those in the business. I think they keep the prices to the individual owner artificially high for a few reasons, most having to do with thier regular trade customers"

This is common practice among suppliers and wholesalers and it is precisely to avoid competition with their business customers.
Manufacturers will routinely sell to public at full retail. What Anderson is doing is just routine and smart business practice.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that Anderson's subcontractors provide valuable service for Andersons. They spend the time dealing with the customer. If you deal directly with Anderson then that service commands a price too. However, I'm sure the primary reason for the pricing is as pointed out above; you don't want to undercut your own dealers. - Kyle
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barodi charges $35 per valve....I find that a bit tough to swallow. Perhaps for felt and sevice and??, but completely re-plating, building up the valve and then refitting to the cylinder? Also, as of about a year ago, I was charged $240 for a complete valve re-plate and re-fit on an Olds Super. I did not think that was too bad as a retail, one off customer. As I said, they are the source and have an obligation to not compete with the suppliers...and they do a nice job.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to send my newly acquired Besson Brevete out to Anderson and just talked with them. Usually takes about six weeks. I'll send update. kpb

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-01-31 21:54 ]
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Anderson too. For repair shops, they charge $43.05 per valve.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: