• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CLR...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to clean my horn right now which is silver plated and i have by bottle of CLR here and i was wondering if i should go ahead and do it or not. After reading all the posts i am still undecided. Also is there a special process u should do to clean it w/o damaging it? any advice would be appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: jazzartizt1742 on 2004-01-31 12:25 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question you have to answer is "When was the horn cleaned out before?". If you answer is "I don't Know" use the CLR at an 1-8 (CLR to water) mixture.

1. Stop up the mouthpipe, hold the horn vertically, bell up, pour in the mixture,
2. push the valves to make sure you get mixture into the slides, open the spit valves to let out any air
3. let it stand for about 4-5 minutes then upstop the mouthpipe.
4. run lots of luke warm water through the horn
5. take it apart and let it soak(without the valves) in warm soapy water for about 20 minutes
6. snake each piece, rinse, snake, rinse then set aside to dry.

While 5-6 is happening you can have the valves soaking in a glass with soapy water only up to the top of the piston portion, not the spring or top ... keep them dry then again use a valve snake/brush to clean the holes. Then rinse, rinse, rinse. When you reassemble your horn make sure the valves are dry. Let it sit drying as long as you can.

Now if you've cleaned the horn within the last 6 months, start at step 5.

Works for me!

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be careful using CLR in your horn. Here's a section of the FAQ's at their website http://www.jelmar.com:

Can CLR be used in a steam iron?
It is not recommended that CLR be used in steam irons. It could have an effect on fabrics or interior of the iron.

Can I use CLR on my car to remove rust?
No, it is not recommended to use CLR on a car. It may drip onto aluminum or a painted surface.

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

Is CLR safe for the icemaker on my refrigerator?
No. There is no way to know if CLR is completely rinsed out.

Will CLR remove oil from my concrete driveway or garage floor?
No. If CLR is mixed with oil, it will darken the concrete, which is very difficult to remove. To remove oil from concrete or blacktop, try our product CLRŽ Grease Magnet.

Is CLR septic safe?
Yes, CLR is septic safe. By the time it reaches the septic system it is neutralized with water.

Can I use CLR in my swimming pool?
No. Mixing CLR with chlorine (or any other household chemical) is not safe and could result in toxic fumes.

Can CLR be used on marble or synthetic marble?
No. The active ingredients in CLR will have a reaction with the marble.

Can CLR be used on galvanized metal?
No. Galvanized metal is coated with zinc. Zinc should never come into contact with anything too acidic. This will cause a chemical reaction with the zinc coating and it will discolor.

What makes CLR work so powerfully?
CLR is mainly made up of three acids: glycolic acid, sulfamic acid and citric acid.

Can I clean cast iron with CLR?
No, CLR cannot be used on cast iron; the acids in CLR will react with the metal.

As you know brass is a mixture of copper and zinc. Loss of zinc causes red rot.
I think repair shops use muriatic acid for chemcleans which I understand can be bad if not done right.

Bob
jamie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to use clr on my entire trumpet, but i tryed it on part of a slide and it didn't get that much cleaner. it cleaned it but not as good as i was expecting. I have been told from other brass players to use brasso (i think that is the way it is spelt, that is the way it sounds) the brasso is for cleaning brass and it is more powerful than clr. i personally haven't tryed the brasso but it makes more sense to use it over the clr
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie,
Brasso - used on the exterior
CLR - used (maybe) in the interior

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=9808&forum=7&start=15

be sure to check the post by MrVenturi
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brasso is not to be used on trumpet. This thing has a litlle abrasive in it. Using this will reasul to scrap your beautiful laquer finish. You better pay an extra buck to buy Silvo ( for silver) wich is better qualitie and isn't abrasive.

For the inside... Snake, soap, spitballs... or whatever is made for trumpet. Or go to shop!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In case everyone doesn't go to the link listed just above by pair of kings, I'm gonna "paste" it here. CLR IS BAD NEWS!

It was written by the esteemed horn builder Roy Lawler (Mr. Venturi):

WARNING!!! WARNING!!!
Do Not use CLR or any other Lime and acid based over the counter products!!!

You may not realize but brass is a embedding type metal that will absorb these chems.

Water will not nutralize it!! First of all you cant clean the base metal until you have removed all of the grease and oil. So more than likely you are wasting your time. After any chemical cleaning the trumpet must be nutralized.

Also NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use brass polish on your valves or casings!! Brass polish is abasive and once more the brass caseing will embed themselves with polish!!

This will leach out over time and the oil is a perfect catilist.

You will have pre mature wear!

Lets face it over time having a pro service your trumpet is much cheaper then a valve job!!! Also ask your repairman what procedure they do for a trumpet service.

If they say! We buff all the stains off you monel valves take it elsewhere. Buffing of valves.....well thats a whole other talk show!

For Lawler Trumpet owners I recomend letting me service it yearly.
R. Lawler

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2004-02-01 21:40 ]
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzartist1742,

Buy a bottle (or spray can) of regular silver polish such as Tarni-Shield or Haggerty's. I have a $4.00 bottle of Haggerty's Silversmith Polish and it is enough to last me a lifetime. Don't use strong, abrasive cleaners like CLR and Brasso on your fine instrument!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently used CLR to clean out my leadpipe of my Bb, since ever since I bought the horn used, there was some visible calcification. It worked like a charm.

romey
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it and it cleaned everything out tons of black gunk in the leadpipe and in the valves worked like a charm, valves are faster and smoother. worked like a charm. Now for the shine.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: