• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zachary music interesting site.....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattk0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks, highlight the bottom of this page on the zachary site...

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/NewZTR1000.htm

is this just a smart way of getting more hits??

is this right?

[ This Message was edited by: Mattk0 on 2004-02-02 23:43 ]
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know I don't know if this is right or not but I definately think it generates hits. i recently visited a part of this site as it was the only one i could find that showed how a trumpet was made i think it was on page 5 of a google search . Great pictures of trumpet making though the guy is a bit to in love with the zues horns they are kinda pretty but his narrative is a bit corney. I got the info i wanted don't need another trumpet though just yet.
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no real idea, BUT I think it has to do with search engines scanning for keywords then directing traffic to the relevant sites. So you search for Wild Thing,Lawler,Eclipse,Monette,Taylor,Kanstul,Conn,Yamaha,Bach,Stradivarius,ZeuS,Holton,Martin,Stomvi,trumpets,trumpet,Callet,Stratosphere,Bach Stradivarius,Conn Vintage 1, you *might* get the ZTR1000 webpage. I remember this trick from my early (1996) html learnings.
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its what some might call dishonest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, those meta-tags will generate a lot of hits for his webpage. A lot of web developers use them.
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't help but notice this; maybe it's nothing:

* You sure don't get this with the heavily braced horns, its like they are built into concrete and consequently they sound dead and dull.*

Does this mean he's saying his other horns sound dead and dull?

Also, he seems to have rushed the page together. Grammatical errors, awkward wording.
Just for fun, see if you can find a catch-phrase that sounds a bit like it's from Chrysler...

Tim

...and a little Quaker State 10w30.

[ This Message was edited by: TimBrown on 2004-02-03 00:42 ]
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-02 23:49, MoonBoy wrote:
I have no real idea, BUT I think it has to do with search engines scanning for keywords then directing traffic to the relevant sites. So you search for Wild Thing,Lawler,Eclipse,Monette,Taylor,Kanstul,Conn,Yamaha,Bach,Stradivarius,ZeuS,Holton,Martin,Stomvi,trumpets,trumpet,Callet,Stratosphere,Bach Stradivarius,Conn Vintage 1, you *might* get the ZTR1000 webpage. I remember this trick from my early (1996) html learnings.

Yes. Search engines send out what are referred to as "spiders" (honest). They look for such things to keep up-to-date. It may take a month or more, but such things get tracked.

Tim
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, I think by "heavily braced" he means the Monette/Courtios/Phaeton type trumpets, just a guess. And boy the word "spiders" brought back a flood of memories about me pouring over webcrawler.com, I would use that for everything search-wise much like google is today. Webcrawler was king back in the day.

Edit: One other thing, picking on people's grammer/spelling on the web is not a challenge. The pictures should (and do!) speak way more to me than the text, anyway I know I'd rather look at the shiney pictures than read boring grammatically incorrect fluff. That's just me.

1959 Olds Ambassador #281745
Bach 3C Megatone

[ This Message was edited by: MoonBoy on 2004-02-03 02:30 ]
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hey Tim, I think by "heavily braced" he means the Monette/Courtios/Phaeton type trumpets, just a guess. *

Yeah, that might very well be.

About the rest, I hear ya, but I'd really reword that page if it were mine! It just seems that he must've rushed that page out there. Why do I think that? Because I'm guilty of it too...and I regretted it!

(Edit) --> I'm blessed with the world's most wonderful wife but I'll tell you, I cringe sometimes when I hear her smash the english language sometimes. Double negatives, etc. I'm learning to relax about that more and even do some of it myself....just to not take it so seriously.

Tim

[ This Message was edited by: TimBrown on 2004-02-03 04:00 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, you can make your metatags invisible, so you get the hits but the word that brings a person to the page does not have to be visible. That is a common thing to do and it is one of the main things about HTML that seems to cause wierd results when you are searching with things like Yahoo. Internet vendors do this all the time to get people to look at their pages hoping people will buy something they weren't originally looking for.

Mike
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has already been discussed on the TH, with some of the owners of the companies listed on the bottom of the ZM site weighing in. This is not something that only Alex does. Some may call it dishonest, but most call it normal web practices. If you do a search, you'll find the thread I'm talking about. I'd do the search, but I'm not the one looking or the info.
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metatag trick works with some engines, but not with Google. They don't use them to judge the validity of a site. One interesting technique they use is to look to how many other sites point to your site on a particular topic - assuming if a lot of other sites reference yours, it must be good.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, it would be considered unethical to advertise things you don't sell just to get people to hit your site, but it is not generally considered to be unethical if the tags are invisible and include, for example, other brand names that you don't sell.

Mike
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice the title of the website ... look at the very top in the blue bar ... is it a Monette Trumpet though???

Bb Bachs
- 37 S180ML-24K 284xxx
- 37 ML 43LP 30xxx
- 37 Mt. Vernon M 127xx
- 65* ML 154xxx
C - Bach 229/25R
Picc - Yamaha Custom 9830 w/Laskey PIC
Flugel - Jupiter 846RL w/68F
Laskey's 68MD, 68C

[ This Message was edited by: jophst on 2004-02-03 09:17 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on eBay you can add "-not" to your search to eliminate the misleading headers.

Mike
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you could use that to filter Alex's site ... you would have to add A LOT of words after "not" ... HA!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ALL SORTS of auctions like this (actual titles I just pulled off eBay): "Benge Eb/D Trumpet- *NOT Schilke or Bach*" or "MONKE ROTARY C TRUMPET & MONETTE MPC not Bach" or "Besson silver pro trumpet not Bach or Schilke" why aren't these auctions listed on the fraud forum? Oh yeah, because this stuff is a cheap known advertising/marketing tool. How many "Brand X" or supermarket store brand products do you see at the supermarket that say: Brand X "Compare to Name Brand!" if you haven't seen it go look. I think people are getting all bent out of shape over something that many MANY people/companies do, just because this guy ruffled a few feathers before . . .
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if its done on e-bay by amateurs, or if other retailers make invisible meta-tags, its still dishonest. The amateurs on e-bay at least are putting "not" whatever. The other retailers? I'd consider them dishonest, too. Alex is just trying to score hits, and get some naive person to believe this horn is all the rage in the professional world. As good as it may be, I can't think of any symphony or jazz players using it. Plus, as I recall some time ago on the other thread many manufacturers asked Alex to remove their name, which he still hasn't done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneeyedhobbit while it seems that you have an anger problem directed at Alex, and although I think the whole Zeus-hatred thing is amusing, I understand that some might be "new is scary and horrible, old is trusted and good." Perhaps the reason people haven't been seen with them in symphonies or jazz bands is because they just shipped out in the last week or so . . . Divorce the trumpet from the seller and concentrate on the important things. Alex is obviously devoting a lot of his time and effort into a market that doesn't see a whole lot of quality newcomers because of the "old guard" mentality, just because the trumpet market is (seems to me, to be) very reserved compared to the guitar market (he also HAND BUILDS guitars, but you know that). Advertising is VERY expensive in print, but on the internet all you have to do is start a flame war here or there and presto! almost guaranteed to get a few % of the people looking at the site will buy something.

Re: the keywords, there is a lot of dishonesty in the world and a man using non-trademarked non-copyrighted names (as far as I can tell) is the least of our problems. Anyway IF the companies were upset why not get the out the lawers? Seems to work for the rest of the litigious-happy USA.

Edit: spelling

1959 Olds Ambassador #281745
Bach 3C Megatone

[ This Message was edited by: MoonBoy on 2004-02-03 12:43 ]
Big Phat Jan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any Zues hatred in the thread... The only thing that annoyed me was that he didn't use Schilke as well! What's wrong with my Schilke?

Jan.

P.S. He is using meta tags as well (the bit that most search engines look at). Maybe the fact that Google ignores these is the reason he's got it in the actual text?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: