• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Baroque Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know where to start? I'd like to buy a baroque trumpet but I need names and addresses of manufacturers so I can start searching.
Thanks
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, a baroque trumpet is just a piccolo trumpet with a new name....check out Jim Donaldson's Gearhead site, he can recommend several.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

You're not referring to a clarino natural trumpet are you? That too has been
called a "baroque" trumpet.

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: trombapaul2 on 2004-02-04 22:27 ]
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about a natural trumpet

Check out the following web site

http://aswltd.com/brass.htm

Good Luck

Seth Moore

Richard I. Schwartz
"The Cornet Compendium"

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Stomvi on 2004-02-04 23:52 ]
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one made by Frank Tomes in London ; it is very well made. Egger in Switzerland, Edwards aand Keavy Vyryne in England, and Naumann in Wisconsin are some of the better known makers.I am in a group in Seattle that plays the valveless beasts, and there is a group in Philadelphia, I think. There is a website devoted to these instruments.Contact me or the website if you want more info. They are fun but it takes some getting used to. Take a while to get to know them; they punish overblowing and must be played without pushing too hard.
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Natural Trumpet Resource Website. Try this.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Naumann, who now owns Schilke, makes natural trumpets.

http://www.schilkemusic.com/Naumann/
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the joy of not knowing quite what we are being asked

A piccolo trumpet - completely misnamed, if referred to as a baroque trumpet. It is true that we tend to play baroque music upon these, but they should definitely not be referred to as baroque trumpets.

Natural trumpets (which is what I assume you meant) come in basically two sorts There are those with holes and those without.

The authentic baroque trumpets do not have holes in them. There are very few people who make them like this, due to the current trend of obtaining holed trumpets. The best of this type I have played were made by David Maller - http://www.mallerbbi.com - an amazing sound with excellent intonation, even without the holes.

There are many makers who produce natural trumpets with finger holes, many of which have been mentioned already. The holes, allegedly, make these instruments easier to play in tune and able to produce a greater volume whilst doing so.
For me, the holes take something away from the true sound of a natural baroque trumpet. They are not supposed to sound like modern trumpets (I had great fun watching a couple of guys at ITG last year trying to play natural trumpets as if they were Bachs!), you don't need to produce the same volume. As for the tuning, the Maller trumpets have been the best in tune I have played. The F/F# needed some lipping in, but it was very achievable. The instruments I have played with holes tend to get those notes in tune (when you use the holes) but compromise in other areas.

Find yourself a great natural trumpet player to take a lesson with, if you are interested in this sort of thing. I have been fortunate enough to take a lesson with Crispian Steele-Perkins - quite amazing. After a couple of hours I felt I actually knew what I wanted from these instruments.

If you are aiming to play them - listen to the great players - Crispian, Ed Tarr, Ludwig Guttler, Niklus Eklund.

Do NOT try and play them like a modern trumpet. They will fight you all the way. Treat them well and they will reward you with the sweetest tone you can imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: