• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Commitee on ebay.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the committee on ebay item #3702108966?
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/n 154XXX puts it around 1946.
It may not have dents, but that bell doesn't look too straight.
The only thing that bothers me is the leaky valves. Everything else is a cheap fix.
The seller has no history on eBay. That's not necessarily a problem, but you never know.
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the bell does look bent but I talked to the seller and it is just because of the lacquer has come off at an angle. It looks like a good deal. What do you think about it.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That horn is on my watch list as well. I am sure a relacquer and rebuild the valves, and it would be a gorgeous horn. It is the satndard medium .453 bore. It is very fixable, but would probably cost $600 to be redone at most shops. With the reserve, you may not get it cheap enough to put that much money into it unless you plan to play it as your main horn. Someone posted that BORODI MUSIC does good work, in which case the same work could be done there for less than $400 (according to the price list on their web page).

As for the seller, he looks OK - just no Ebay history. I found a Parker Music in Greenville SC by doing a search. He has several instruments for sale.

Steve
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this will be my first committee I have always played bach and Lawlers. The horn seems to be ok the seller said it plays real nice. I good ralacquer job would have raised the horn over $1000. Also how did you know it is just the medium bore?
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I have a horn that was done at Borodi. It is OK but I would not write home about it. Soldering is not tidy, lacquer is OK. Leigh said the valve re-plating was good, I personally wasn't that impressed.

But of course, when you have Leigh do your work for you, obviously most others look unimpressive!

Ron

P.S. Did you get your custom Eclipse yet? And no I haven't forgotten abotu the leadpipe I just have a terrible memory.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isler,
The standard, and most common, bore on the Committee is the #2 medium bore. If it isn't marked, it is the #2 bore. The large bore has a #3 above or below the serial number. I am talking about trumpets up through the low 200,000 serial numbers. I understand newer ones may have an L to signify large bore. sub-200k serial number large bore trumpets are hard to find. I have been looking for awhile, but may have finally found one. A friend found it for me - an older trumpet player had made a lamp out of it. It is currently being restored. It is promised to me, but not yet mine.

Ron,
Good to know about Borodi. Does Borodi do their own valves instead of sending them to Anderson? Leigh has decent prices (would be better id=f the exchange rate wasn't so bad) so I will probably send my business to him. From your pictures, his work looks excellent. Plus you have to respect what he did with the Eclipse contest. Did you get the Deluxe Committee back from Leigh yet? I want pictures! He told me he was working on it.

I am waiting for the first pictures of my Eclipse "being born". I am expecting pictures this week. It should be finished in about three weeks. Go swing by the factory and check it out!

Steve
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Sounds like you didn't go for the Limited Edition Eclipse then? They certainly are gorgeous to look at. Leigh was inspired by the Getzen Super Deluxe. I saw them when I was down there in December. I hope the Committee will be done soon, and then I will send pics. I am thinking of having it done in Gold Lacquer, not sure though. If he has it done before he ships your horn, I will see it. What exactly did you order?

Not sure who does the plating for Borodi. But I know he is cheap. The Alaska stuff always looks good, even though some is not to my taste.

Ron
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did order the special edition Eclipse. I believe it is number 4 of 5. It is similar in style to an Olds Super to me. The "being born" pictures are pictures he takes and sends during the construction process. Then you have a picture record of the horn being built that comes with the trumpet.

Steve
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it has the tone ring like a Super, but was inspired by the Getzen Super Deluxe, of which I have a couple for him to overhaul.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like between you and I, he will be busy for awhile.

Steve
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I won the Martin off ebay I got the guy to end the auction for me although he has not do it yet but he sent the horn to me today. I just got the number from information and called the guy up and worked a deal out. The probelms were it needed new springs in the valves, pads and corks!!!! I got a great deal on it. Sorry for all you guys that are wanting the horn I could not let this one get away. I had to do a seceret operation to get this one!
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are looking for congratulations, don't look to me. I don't agree with what you did. And it isn't because I wanted it - I already own three deluxe's and am about to get a Large bore. I don't need this one.

Steve
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I am leaving tomorow for a recording session for 4 days I had no choice. But as the old saying goes the early bird gets the worm. I am not trying to start anything sorry for deal but I could not let this one pass me by.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wonder if this thread was emailed to eBay and to Parker Music if either one would be as pleased about the transaction as the"buyer" is? Being a regular buyer and seller on eBay, I have a real problem with sellers ending early to avoid eBay fees. Ebay gets screwed and so do the bidders.
Speaking of which...Seinman must be excited as he is the high bidder.
Just a thought. kpb

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-02-05 16:39 ]
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ended the some of my auctions early also. I talked directly to the seller and he had no problem with it. I even told him if he had a problem not to do it. We came to an agreement on the price and the reserve was met. Also he had an offer befor me to end the auction early but the person failed to met his reserve price. I feel I did no wrong I made it clear to the seller that if he did not want to do it that was understandable. He just wanted to get rid of the horn.
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then he should have allowed you to bid up to the reserve, and then ended the auction with you as winner.
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was what I suggested but he is just going to end the auction. also fees will still be applied becasue if you have bidders on you item and you end it early you will be charged.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not true. You are always charged listing fees no matter what. Because the item was ended under his reserve, he will not be charged "Final Auction Value Fees" which can be quite a bit for an expensive horn. Just realize that you are not protected by Ebay by doing business this way. If he ships a bad horn to you, you would be out of luck. Hopefully not though.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "he just wanted to get rid of the horn" then he should sell it with a BUY IT NOW price. In fact, when he listed it on Ebay, he entered into a contract. The contract does allow him to end the auction early and sell to the high bidder. It does not allow him to list an item and then work a deal with a buyer off ebay when the buyer became aware of the item through the ebay site. Whether Isler thinks that there was nothing done that was wrong is really irrelevant. It is a violation of the ebay rules, it is not fair to the folks who trade on ebay as buyers and, it is wrong. One could assume that with several other instruments listed, the seller plans to use ebay as a means to sell at a profit. Selling off ebay would be in violation of his ebay agreement and would put his account in jeopardy of being terminated. So, ebay thinks it's wrong.

"I have ended the some of my auctions early also." Well now there's a valid justification for feeling that nothing is being done "wrong". COME ON????

I don't want to get into any hard feelings or any disputes, but....I hope Seinman gets it. He bid. It's an auction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: