• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Commitee on ebay.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after cancelling my bids, you won't be getting my business.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I left for a while ... looks like things got heated up in here. Hope there are no hard feelings. Its just a silly auction and there are still plenty of great Martin's out there to get a hold of.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corie...It seems to me that if Mr. Parker could ignore all the bids that had been placed on the Martin, if he could terminate the auction in spite of the fact that the bids were placed in good faith...then he could now make it right by terminating the off eBay agreement that he made in violation of his eBay contract and then offer the item to the high bidder at the time the auction was completed or relist and play it straight and let the bidders do thier thing. The fact is the item was listed by Parker on eBay. Isler saw it there and then violated eBay's rules by making an off eBay offer and then Parker violated the rules by ending the auction early and selling to an eBay user off eBay. This was not a case where the horn was in the store and was sold to a customer or advertised elswhere and sold to someone who had seen it advertised. If the horn has not been shipped, the oportunity to do the right thing is there to take. What happens from here is a decision, not a mistake.

Meanwhile, eBay has a site and email address where violations can be reported, including avoiding auction fees by ending early and selling off eBay. Anyone who feels this is the case could file a report and use this thread as evidence that this horn was sold to another eBay member after the member made an off eBay offer. No matter how you slice it, nobody is doing the right thing so far.

For the information of Parker Music and Corie and the folks from TH who have read and participated in this thread...I too was watching this auction but had not bid yet. I had emailed with a number of questions and had received responses about the condition of the horn. I usually bid at the last moment.
I emailed this thread to Parker Music BEFORE the auction was terminated, and received an email from Parker thanking me for making them aware of the issues and the comments. All this BEFORE Parker or Corie ended the auction. Interesting that Parker, knowing that there was a violation, knowing that there bidders that bid in good faith and met the reserve, knowing that trust in thier future auctions might be effected, chose to end the auction anyway.... Kind of leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Too bad all around.

I know it's "just an auction". I have my Martin, but it still smells like greed to me. And it stinks.

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-02-05 22:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-02-05 22:47 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've stumbled across a person who really knows how to get what he wants-- at the expense of other trumpet players here on TH.

--the kind of person you hire for a $150 three months in advance and the week of the gig they bail on you for an extra $25 and with no call or substitute.

You shake it off, go on and just hope you don't run into too many more of them.
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to see this in relation to politics.
A few more years of President Bush will change your society and its behavior even more.
Guys like isler and Parker act and think in their little world like Bush and his Junta do on our planet.
Everything is connected with everything.
So please try to kick the bad guys out of the race.
P.S. I hope the Committee is one of the 50 per cent that are junk.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try relaxing and letting go of this anger and resentment. I can guarantee it will help your trumpet playing.

[ This Message was edited by: musiclifeline on 2004-02-13 08:48 ]
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a regular eBayer who values his rating.. I agree, ending auctions early is wrong. A seller takes the chance that he'll get what he/she wants, a buyer is chancing they'll get a deal. It works all around. If Parker music just wanted to sell the horn at a set price, put it in the classifieds. This way they've not only stiffed eBay, they've alienated many others. DUMB business practices. And Isler, you may have got what you wanted.. this time. Wait till you try something like that and you get screwed over - then you'll understand why it's smarter to go through eBay.

Oliver
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this has now re-appeared:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704901115

Anyone interested?
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure that is the same one? Looks in better shape, but who can tell from the distance of those pictures. Bell looks straight. Description also sounds better, but there could be some exageration.

I certainly don't need it - just won this Deluxe with original lacquer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701923654&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Steve
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. The seller is our guy isler, anyway, so I´d guess it is the same horn allright.
He might end the auction early if you ask him...

Martin
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Steve, I looked at that one. I was hoping it would end a little lower so I didn't bid. How come you purchased this one? Isn't the serial no. very near to the one I bought from you?

Ron
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say - I am addicted.

I love the Martins and thought this was a good deal...

Steve
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking closer at that auction, I believe you are correct - I can see the lacquer wear. True to his ethics, it appears he over described it to me. Not what I would call MINOR lacquer wear.

Lets see - contacts seller to end auction early so he can resell it and make a couple dollars. He isn't just greedy, he is desparate.

Steve
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh but you see he's actually being exceptionally generous - if you use the Buy It Now (at $1350!!) he'll throw in a Miles Davis play-along disc. Oh... PLUS he straightened the bell! Come on! That's gotta be worth tons!

yeeesh...

Oliver
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is all very interesting, but I think we are all not seeing a very important piece. I think we should all be a bit grateful that parkermusicco and isler ignored ebay's trust and ethics policies. I had emailed perkermusicco when I first saw this Martin and had asked several very specific questions about the condition of the horn, valves and bell. The response said that the bell was bent, but would be straightened. It also included info not in the description that indicated that this was not a very good Committee and I decided to stay clear because the condition was not great and the seller had not been accurate in the description.

Then along comes isler, picking our brains and then proudly stating..."!!!! I got a great deal on it. Sorry for all you guys that are wanting the horn I could not let this one get away. I had to do a seceret operation to get this one." Well, I perhaps when he received his "first Committee" he really did not get such a great horn. I bought my sn. 156xxx edition Committee several years back on ebay and it was well described and in very nice original condition and I did not turn around and try and sell it immediately... because it is a nice horn in nice condition. My first one was a keeper.

So, we may all have avoided buying a dog from a seller who might not be a great guy to deal with....meanwhile... parkermusicco has listed about a dozen items, has 0 feedback, sold one on ebay, one off ebay and the rest did not reach reserve. So it goes. And, isler has "won" his first Committee, abused this site, its members, and ebay and has immediately put the horn up for sale. Sounds like the seller, the buyer and the horn all belong together. And I have added a couple of ebay IDs to my list of ebayers to steer clear of.

I am really not angry or resentful. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with calling a spade a spade. There were at least three TH members who posted replies to the isler's questions about Martin Committees and about the auction,and were generous with info and were also forthright and clear that this was a horn that they were considering as well...may the high bidder win. One of these, seinman, was the high bidder when the auction was terminated. To have one of the participants "do a secret operation" and then proudly announce it with a shallow apology and not post a resonse is just rediculous.

Anyway, nuff said. Glad I didn't bid. Glad I own a 40's Committee beauty. Glad I don't do business the way isler and parkermusicco do. Glad the rest of us don't either. I have come to this site many times to get information about trumpets I was considering bidding on and all the members have been forthcoming, even ones watching the same horn. That's what makes this site so great. I have also been out bid by folks in this thread. That's the way the game is played. kpb
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SHUT MY MOUTH and perhaps I should, but, I am dumbfounded. It sold... one bid...BUY IT NOW. I don't get it, but that's alright. It had an opening bid of $500 and the $1350 BIN. Rather than bid a few times where there had been no bids, the buyer went right to the BIN price which was high for sure. Anyone figure this and see something that I am missing. Meanwhile, perhaps I am a fool and just don't get it. Won't be the first time.
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET OVER IT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: