• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old English Besson 220

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys: Any opinions on this - I was comparing two of the various horns I own: A new Calicchio 1s7 and a vintage English Besson 220 (I think that's the number...it has two very strange "sidewinding" spit valve handles..). It seems that the old horn plays "sweeter," more in tune and more in focus.....it sounds more like a trumpet to me than the s7 does.

Have any of you had this experience? or am I just mentally doing this because as an old fart I WANT to think that the Besson is the better horn....? I'm not putting any horn down as the s7 is a beautiful horn too, it just seems like the Besson has "something" extra - oh, and it is easier to blow too.
Freddieh.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really wondering that nobody posts something about it ?
The Besson is not made in the US, not an exotic Superhorn, not a big name, nothing expensive. Not sexy enough for the TH.
Your Besson better than a Calicchio? Do you know the fairy tale with the king wearing no clothes ?
Try to sell it on Ebay for 1000 USD with a suspicous picture and a Canadian location and you will have a lot of info about it !!
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at some schools that have old English Besson 2-20 horns in their supply. I think they're student model horns but I too like to the way they play. That's all I know.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both a 2-20 trumpet and a Stratford cornet, both good student horns, both sold to students. I liked them, but just never got attached to them like I have with some of the others i've bought. They both reminded me of the Yamaha student line horns, well made, good quality, but a little vanilla as far as individual tone went.
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys: I'm embarrassed - I checked the horn again and it is NOT a 220. It is an English 10-10...a different animal I believe. It has two triggers and these "Martin-like" sidewinding spit valves...I don't think this is a student horn in any way!

Freddie - your comments are true and unfortunately a sad commentary on today's society which seems to value things for what they cost and/or if they are a status symbol. For example, I really liked the new Kia car (forgot the model..) which looks just like a Mercedes, but when I mentioned this to a few of my fellow attorneys, they were appalled that I was even considering such a car...I should maintain the "lawyerly appearance" and buy a Mercedes....never mind that maybe the Kia is just as good! I guess if it is great but inexpensive, it is not sexy....same thing with horns I guess, if it isn't a $25K monette or similar, it can't be any good.....
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson had (and still has!) so many different models it´s not funny.

Of those made in England, I have seen Stratford, Westminster, New Creation, 2-20, 8-10 and 10-10 models.
I don´t know for sure how to rank them as I have never played any of them, but judging just from the looks, I´d say that Westminster and Stratford were entry level instruments, followed by the 2-20 and maybe the New Creation. The 8-10 and 10-10 seem to be top of the line, with all those triggers, copper bells and stuff.

If anyone knows for sure, I´d love to read about it!

Martin
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gnocchi,

since I am from Germany I would say that the KIA is the better car !
And I heard the new Jupiter trumpets are great, too.
Let´s hope that our " western" industry finds a way to compete with the east.
AL
stingaree
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Besson 2-20's and though I've never played Calicchio, they beat out both a Callet Jazz and a Taylor Chicago, which I've sold. I would find myself grabbing the 2-20 for gigs because it plays so well and now I think this "superhorn" stuff is just hype. The Besson has a beautiful sound with either a shallow or a deep mpc, but since it is a large bore and large bell, I find it responds better with a KT bacbore and shallow cup, but I get a huge, dark sound with a 24 BB and deep cup. Both my horns are pretty ugly and I hate the stupid water keys but other than that they can't be beat. I've had Bachs, Conns, Benge, Getzen and none have played as easily and sweetly as the Besson which also is powerful without breaking up. I did have the Besson cornet model 2-20 but the bell was much smaller and tight and I didn't like it much. I just can't find another horn I like as much so I'll put some money into making one of them more visually appealing and try to replace the water keys.I think my horns came from schools so they are dented but the valves look brand new, probably because kids don't practice and the valves didn't get much use. The last horn I compared it to was a Bach LR 37 which didn't do anything for me at all. Keep the SuperHorns--I'll take ugly but sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: