• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Incredible Responsiveness of the Wild Thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been elightened once again on how quick and solid this trumpet is when you need fast changes in expressions, be they dynamic changes or articulations.

I played a piece by Eric Ewazen yesterday for both services in Church - "The Prelude and Fugue for 6 Trumpets". I covered the 2nd part. For those of you who have played this marvelous and moving piece of music you are required to do a variety of sfzp attacks followed by crescendos back to ff. Some of these are whole notes but there are a few that are quarter and half notes that require some real instantaneous adjustments. Hearing one trumpet do it well is quite a nice effect, having 6 do it at the same time in 5 part harmony is amazing.

The Wild Thing allows these types of dramatic expressionistic techniques to be done easily and with no loss of tone or struggle with intonality normally asociated with abrupt changes in airflow. The horn literally allows you to BOUNCE off a sfzp attack and steadily pour on the coals back to the ff - almost like a whipcrack down to pp then increasing in intensity back to full volume.

This BOUNCE effect (and I don't know if I'm really expressing it right) lets you hit it hard, come back down and get back there with the easiest, most fluid manner and with the least effort expended. And YOU STAY IN TUNE ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT!

The more I play this thing the more I love it. I have played a variety of excellent horns in my life. While I agree that the player his/herself makes up the majority of the result, there definitely IS a significant difference in the way horns respond and play. Thanks again Flip.

Get well soon!
Wilmington NC

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"6 doing it in 5-part harmony..." So, who was out of tune? Oh, I suppose it's "melody" plus 5 harmony parts? Silly me, ain't never had no music eddication... (That's true, btw!)

Not news that the WT's a great horn, of course.

But, I do have some great news! I spoke with Flip tonight. He's home and doing fine. Should be back to blowing away soon! He'll probably chime in before too much longer, but he has a backlog of emails and a pile of bills to go through.

He also said he just got a shipment of new horns in, and has virtually every WT "flavor" in stock. Great time to give him a ring or drop him a note!

Play on - Don
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

The 1st and 6th parts were an octave apart on many of the passages.

Wilmington Big Band
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidding, Bill, kidding! Thanks for the info, though. As for the rest, sounds like you had a great time!

All the best - Don
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this WT sounds like it truely plays itself. I can't wait to play on one.

[ This Message was edited by: the chief on 2004-02-11 22:18 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chief,

No, it doesn't play itself (I wish). It's got its little quirks and idiosyncratic peculiarities just like any other horn. It does blow easily. It does have great valves and they seem to have a shorter, more positive stroke than other valve blocks.

There is a tendency to overblow it until you get used to it. After playing it for awhile you realize you just don't have to work as hard as you used to. Once you start relaxing with it the ability to color your tone and expression really seems to come out. That's what I was trying to say in my original post here on the horn's responsiveness.

It's like a really smooth driving sportscar with a big engine. You can tool around hugging curves using minute adjustments to steer the car...but when you put your foot down on the accelerator, THINGS HAPPEN!

Wilmington Big Band
douglast35758

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having borrowed Bill's horn to blow for a few tunes around Christmas time, I can attest that it is an incredible horn. Certainly it plays better than I am able to play it. If Bill's sound and responsiveness are any indication, Flip makes a truly great horn worthy of any player. The Ewazen piece was fun for all who performed it, and raised many compliments throughout the day thereafter. Bill, thanks for putting that together for us. To anyone interested in a really fine six-horn piece, this is well worth investing in.
--Doug
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could comment upon the trumpet - haven't managed to play one of these yet.

Totally agree about the Ewazen - my trumpet ensemble gave the official UK Premiere of this piece and it has become one of our signature pieces. We played it once and the audience have requested it ever since.
We tend to do it with two or three on each part, great fun.
douglast35758

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea. The sound generated by doubling or tripling parts would be incredible. Tough part is finding twelve or eighteen players in the church who are up to the task. But any university should be able to do it. --Doug
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

You are too kind and too complimentary of my playing, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. This horn does indeed allow the player to express themselves easily.

From the very softest passages to covering the entire orchestra you can do it.

Wilmington Big Band
Benge Loyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all really ought to play a Burbank Benge. My bet is that it is what Flip is trying to duplicate!
Benge Bb 5x ml #8162 Burbank 1969 gold
Benge C 2c+ mlp #7481 Burbank 1968 silver
Benge D/Eb ml #6579 Burbank 1965 raw brass
Benge Flugel 5 ml #17708 Los Angeles silver
Stomvi piccolo, m1
Boston 3 star NE Plus Ultra (1912)
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge Loyalist,

Having owned and played several Burbank Benges I can safely say that the Wild Thing plays nothing like a Burbank Benge. I love Burbank Benges but I think Flip was trying to come up with a totally unique horn. He accomplished that goal. I played two Wild Things the other night at Lee Adams house when Tom Turner stopped by. Both were great horns.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: