• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Paypal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking about bidding on a trumpet item on ebay....but i need to sign up for paypal...will paypal charge me everytime i use it to buy items i won?

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, only if selling items.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
rooster7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a purchase using Paypal, there are no fees to the buyer but there may be fees to the seller. Buying an item through Paypal, you have two ways of making a purchase-debiting your credit card or debiting your checking account. This is important to know and I will (try) and explain why.
There are basically two accounts (I believe there are 3) with Paypal. A personal account and a business account. If the SELLER has a personal account, the BUYER must make their purchase using the checking option. The reason is that the SELLER is not setup to receive card card funds-he/she can only receive checking account funds. Doing so does not cost the SELLER any service fees.
With a business account, both credit cards or the checking option can be used. BUT, there is a fee to the seller.
I have a personal account. I have sold several trumpets through EBAY and Trumpet Herald using Paypal. Having a personal account with Paypal alleviates the service fees that would have occured if I had a business account.
Hope that makes sense!
Mark
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is correct. You will NOT be charged to buy.

The seller will have to eat a 2.9% fee however ... or 2.2% if he is a powerseller, etc. If you do sell something, you will incur this 2.9% fee when a buyer pays through PayPal. If the buyer has the money in his "PayPal" account already however, the fee will not be taken out.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i sign up for a personal account and use my debit card?

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Matt!! When I first signed up, I did not have one credit card! But, I did have a debit card.

I believe there is a limit on how much you can buy the first time until you become verified. After that though, you're good to go.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh im such a ebay novice.....they keep telling me if i want ebay to keep bidding for me up till my max bid click review bid button...but i cant find it anywhere...where is it?

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no button, that is why you cannot find it. Once you place a bid, eBay will automatically bid for you up to that amount. Too simple, maybe. And they way the word it I can see how it could be confusing the first few times.

BTW, on my website I posted a page on Tips and Hints for Buying Trumpets and Trombones on eBay. You might find it useful.

M&C
jb6823

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the stuff showing up on ebay that is questionable, I have received two emails from "paypal" wanting me to confirm information. I sent one of them to spoof@ebay after seeing that address mentioned on a posting, and they confirmed it was not from them. Watch any emails from paypal or ebay, cause it probably is not from them.
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-12 15:02, jb6823 wrote:
With all the stuff showing up on ebay that is questionable, I have received two emails from "paypal" wanting me to confirm information. I sent one of them to spoof@ebay after seeing that address mentioned on a posting, and they confirmed it was not from them. Watch any emails from paypal or ebay, cause it probably is not from them.

This is an old "spoof." Both PayPal and eBay say over and over that they will never ask you for your information in an email AND that you should only give them such info if logged in to their secure web server.

M&C
tptscream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey M&C, I checked out your Hints and Tips site. Well Done!!! I have always found it disturbing that "music educator approved" trumpets selling for $119 have actually found buyers. ( I'm a trumpet player and music educator and I'd love to have the opportunity to evaluate one of these pieces of junk. I don't think the manufacturers would like my opinion). Remember the old adage, you get what you pay for!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: