• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Phaeton trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2toneTerri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey has anybody ever played a Phaeton trumpet? They are custom made and they look very nice. I found one for about $1,350 but im kinda skeptical about it.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard quotes of the street price being around 1100 from a retailer. This was before Christmas, so maybe the price is holding now, but still that seems a little rich to me. I have only blown a few notes on a Phaeton, but hopefully someone here has played it a lot more.

Mike
_Handballsteve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I own the brushed raw brass model. It is an excellent playing trumpet. It has a wide spectrum of sound with more highs than a standard Bach. Not bashing here at all.
Brighter in comparison. It is designed by Wayne Tanabe of the Brass Bow. Wayne is a top notch brass workman and one heck of a nice and honest person. He told me it is made of a lighter guage metal so it has a quick response (it does) while the strategically placed braces (enhansing resonance) and med heavy valve caps and receiver give it stability, weight, and projection. Wayne said they worked along time on getting it right and I think they have. It is med. heavy to hold, .460 bore and it opens up in the upper register. Excellent intonation. I think it is a quality instrument in all ways. I have used it in a big band setting and am very please with its sound, projection and intonation. I enjoy improvising on it, especially with my Curry 10.5 TF. I have not used it in other settings.
Hope this helps.
Steve

1980 Yamaha 731 Fluegelhorn
1971 Schilke Picc. 3 valve

[ This Message was edited by: Handballsteve on 2004-02-13 11:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Handballsteve on 2004-02-13 11:44 ]
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one a few months back. EXCELLENT horn! Superb intonation, nice tone- can push it to both extremes. Last of all, it really screams! A great horn, really neat looking too. Nice valve action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: