• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Crazy , but works!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay this may sound totally crazy but it works. you know the discoloration you get on your slides , that black stuff, well a really easy way to get that stuff to go away is to get an eraser and then erase it. make sure that the grease on your slide is off and try to use a softer eraser not a hard one. it sounds crazy but it works , don't push on it hard just do it lightly. i wasn't totally sure where this should go so i figured that it could fit here, anyway happy erasing!!
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use sandpaper, too.

Seriously, the valve clearance on a good trumpet is about 0.0005”. An eraser is abrasive. Use the eraser several times and you can take off a couple of thousandths without noticing.

A better way is to get some muriatic acid at your local pool supply store. Mix a mild solution (30%) in a glass (that’s GLASS, not plastic) deep enough to cover just the valve section, not the spring box, an insert the valve for 30-90 seconds. Rinse thoroughly.
Wear gloves and eye protection and do it outside and you won’t have any trouble.

I’ve used the mild acid on a bunch of vintage horns with blackish-green crap on the valves. Works great.
trumpet manor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie DID say slides...never mentioned valves once

[ This Message was edited by: trumpet manor on 2004-02-16 19:23 ]
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-16 19:04, Japle wrote:

A better way is to get some muriatic acid at your local pool supply store. Mix a mild solution (30%) in a glass (that’s GLASS, not plastic) deep enough to cover just the valve section, not the spring box, an insert the valve for 30-90 seconds. Rinse thoroughly.
Wear gloves and eye protection and do it outside and you won’t have any trouble.

I’ve used the mild acid on a bunch of vintage horns with blackish-green crap on the valves. Works great.

If you decide to use muriatic acid, read the label precautions carefully and follow them! Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid = strong acid = chemical burn hazard.

Dr. Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a big fan of advising anyone to bust out some kind of harsh acid at home...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-16 19:59, oneeyedhobbit wrote:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of advising anyone to bust out some kind of harsh acid at home...

You can buy it at a hardware or pool supply store and he did say to dilute it. Be safe -- wear gloves and goggles. If you don't like acids at home, don't look under the sink. You probably have plenty of them there in all kinds of "cleaning" supplies.

M&C
Freddieh.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but what do you think about storing a few guns at home ?
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgggh!

I forgot to mention
  • For several reasons, if you are diluting acid, add the acid to the water (rather than adding water to acid).
  • If you're not an adult, I strongly urge you to get the assistance of an adult before working with anything hazardous. Make sure they read and follow the label precautions, too!

Hazardous materials can be handled safely if proper precautions are taken. Your home probably has several hazardous materials, follow the label precautions when using any of them.

Dr. Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
jamie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't tryed it on the valves yet but it will most likly have the same effect, i'll have to try it today!
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-17 03:47, Freddieh. wrote:
Okay, but what do you think about storing a few guns at home ?

First, let me say, I don't own a gun ... (we are way off topic here). Although some might say listening to me play is like being shot

Second, I would believe the same thing for guns. Store them in a gun safe. Use a trigger lock. They have a purpose like acid, and like acid can be VERY dangerous if misused. So can liquid plumber, rat poison, a carving knife, a chain saw, gasoline for your lawn mower, even your car as a multi-ton 60 MPH projectile.

Safety should be taught and adhered to! Diluted acid is better to clean with than sand paper or steel wool which is abrasive (but also works). If you are uncomfortable with it, OK, then take your horn to a shop and have a professional do it.

M&C
alwyswinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't a guns purpose to be dangerous??? You use em to kill people thats the purpose right. Muriatic acid if used carefully is not all to dangerous and is highly unlikely to kill you (don't drink it) if it works use it much better than using abrasives that will cause problems down the road.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another somewhat crazy way to get the slides and sometimes the valves a little bit smoother is to use something called GOOP (yes, that's all capitals). I believe it is a non-toxic detergent you can get at the local grocery store that's also good for washing chemicals off your hands. I've used it on my slides many times with great results and using it on the valves seems to work okay as long as you flush your horn out afterwards. Just another thought.
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful on that one! I have a tube of GOOP in the cupboard that is superglue, not detergent! (Not saying there isn't such thing as GOOP detergent, but the stuff in the cupboard is holding the plastic on my wheelwell in the Toyota together, so it ain't gonna be good on your slides!

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I definately own a big tub of GOOP, and it's a detergent. However, seeing someone use the "other" GOOP on their slides would be quite hilarious if you didn't say anything first. Definately worthy of the Stella Award .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: