• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need an Olds valve

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently purchased this Olds Military Cornet. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701728875&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

I was very excited about it when I received it (still am). It is in gorgeous condition on the outside. However, when I first looked at it, I didn't have time to do much other than look at it. A couple days later, I pulled it out to try to loosen the slides and oil the valves. When I pulled the third valve out, I realized why it barely moved - someone had tried to get it out by "pushing" it with a screwdriver. The punctured up through all the ports. Now I need a new valve - anyone have a third valve in the old style for a cornet?

Charlie Melk said he thinks he can fix the valve, but I would prefer a replacement.

Steve
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Ebay and look up the user, ez4u2bcool. He has a supply of new old stock parts he is selling off and has had Olds cornet valves up for bids in the past. If you send him a message, he may have some he will put up on ebay for you to buy. The Olds horns tend to have standard valves (eg, all the trumpets have the same valves except for the Pinto - so the same might be true for the cornets.

Also try Robb Stewart in L.A. at 626-447-1904 or oldbrass@altrionet.com. He may have valves and is an Olds expert. You can also try Zig Kanstul himself as I've been told by someone who knows Zig personally that he may have some parts lying around for Olds horns.

Actually, that's another possibility now that I think of it - you could ask Robb Stewart to confirm that the valves would fit and buy an Ambassador cornet and switch the valves. They would need to be refitted to match the casing.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: