• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Update: Approaching one year...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the other day, I played from low c all the way up to a slotted, for reals, no doubt about it, official, DOUBLE HIGH C!!!

Then I took the trumpet off my sizzlin' chops, slicked back my hair, adjusted my Oakley's, and walked away like it was nuttin. Well...ok... maybe not... so I was jumping around like a maniac shouting "YES!!! YES!!" for half the day and I couldn't stop grinning for another 2 days... but hey... going from barely being able to hit an A above staff to hitting a double high C almost daily is reason to celebrate in my book.

I have been playing alota music with my BE embouchure lately, playing it regular once and then jumping up an octave. It is so much stinken fun it's awesome! And to be able to do it with ease! -something I never thought possible. I love taking "The Star Spangled Banner" and playing it starting the first note on low C (hitting a few pedals on the verse) then on the chorus jumping up an octave to A above staff and then on when the song peaks on high C ("...O're the land of the free...") jumping up to high f and nailing the pee-willies out of it... man, gets me siked up just thinking about it! It's so stinken awesome!! Never thought I'd be able to do it.

And just under a year ago I could barely hit an A above staff. I LOVE IT!!

Ok a little history;

I bought Jeff's book after being told about it here on TH, soon after I picked the trumpet back up after having quit for a year. (Before that I had played for about 2 years...on a VERY mediocre program) For some time after I started the exercises in Jeff's book, I debated whether this program was truly all it claimed to be, or if it was just a "Get high notes quick" scam.. .Many times I just about shelved BE being convinced the method was way to far out to ever completely gain control of it. But through it all I was pretty faithful about doing the roll-in/out exercises daily, and every so often I would have a breakthrough that would give me reason to keep plugging. I went from barely being able to hit A above staff to barely hitting DOUBLE HIGH C! And though it's still too rough to perform with, if I have the same progress this year as last, God only knows the results! After 1 year I have learned to hit the notes, and in one year I have little doubt I'll be able to PLAY the notes. Even if it takes another year to gain the accuracy and control needed to publicly perform, that's an octave and a half in 3 years, with a very proficient embouchure. Considering that most people would be delighted to gain a half step every 6 months equaling 6 1/2 years for the same thing, with an unstable embouchure...

THANK YOU JEFF!!!!

Any and all credit for my being able to play high goes to the man who taught me how- Jeff Smiley. Thanks a million times over man... I never ever thought I would be able to play high... I can now see that it is indeed a possibility for me and with another year or so I may even be able to perform publically with the kinda range I hit at home now. MAN I'm so siked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

I'm sure you've worked hard at it!

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a sound clip?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaleb,

Funny post! Your enthusiasm is contagious.

You know, the most fulfilling part of this gig is to hear about breakthroughs from players that I have never met. From that standpoint, this has been a good week!

I think that if you are given accurate instructions (BE), and you have a reasonably patient and persistant personality, and you are willing to experiment a bit within the parameters of that instruction, that success on trumpet is just a matter of time.

That describes you, Kaleb. It also describes Michael C. and the majority of the others who have gone before you. So, thanks for the kudos, but give yourself most of the credit. You stuck with it, and kept asking questions. Not everybody does even that.

I never intended this book for high school students, as they often have a short attention span, and also tend to lack the experiential frame of reference needed to gauge progress. But I didn't want to discriminate against them either, as some are much more mature than others. Happy to know that things have turned out well so far in your case!

Thanks for sharing your success!

Jeff
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting on a sound clip.
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker- Don't have any equipment to record or anywhere to put it online... I would like to make one though...may have to go buy the stuff and do it. Keep in mind I wouldn't sound like Maynard- I am still sloppy in the high register but I can hit the notes with decent power and be somewhat musical even though I'm like a kid with a crayon. Gotta love it! As soon as I get the "stuff" I'll get you a recording.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about this, PM me your phone number and i will call you and you can play your double C for me to hear.

That is if you can really hit it
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I'm not out to prove anything to anybody... who cares if you don't believe me -don't make a lick of diference to me... I wasn't bragging either- least it wasn't my intention... my intention was to share with my fellow trumpeters what has worked for me so they could have fun screamin too. I guess I could post an amplified clip of a double c and that would really prove I'm a musician? Hitting notes means nothing. Why are you so skepticle or (seemingly irked) at my success?
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would I go through all the trouble of calling you and hitting a double c? I'm not out to prove to the world I can hit a double c... I don't understand you.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look TJ I will make this real simple for you:

I spoke with you a few months ago in the TH chat and you said you could barley get out of the staff, now you are claiming to have learned how to play a DHC.Don’t confuse the issue by saying it doesn’t prove you are a musician, because that is obvious,

This is about on thing,

You, a high school student, claiming that he can hit a DHC,

Lets hear it!

[ This Message was edited by: thelurker on 2004-02-20 20:53 ]
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't respond, Kaleb. It's a waste of your time.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard trumpetjunkie, but I don't doubt what he's saying for a second. He's said that his double-C isn't ready for prime time and I don't blame it if he wants to keep it to himself for now.

When doing the roll in excercises, at least a couple of times per week I'll hit the dubba. It's not under control, or consistent, but it's there, almost effortlessly. I continue to experiment, pratice and do the excercises trying to build consistency. As I do that, my G is solidifying. I'm playing it late in gigs where I used to avoid it unless well rested. Even that isn't strong, but it's in tune and sound plenty good if I get right into the mic. I know it'll continue to improve.

Squeaking a dubba in practice IS progress. It's not the end result and not the final measure of a trumpet player, but for someone building chops, it's one of several measures that good things are happening.

Keep it up, Trumpetjunkie.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: