• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question for collectors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDWildcat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While everyone wants to find the mint condition, 100% original vintage horn, that is often not possible.

My question is this-would you collectors prefer to buy a vintage horn that, while playable, needed work but was more or less untouched, (had the original plating or lacquer, original valves, etc,) or one that had been completely overhauled, assuming the overhaul was well done?

With other collectibles repairs or refinishing often makes the item less desirable than the same item that has not been repaired, and I'm trying to determine if the same is true for horns.

Thanks.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like best is a horn that has no dents or dings, but is in original finish and has not been repaired. I bought an F. Besson French made trumpet about a month back. It arrived with almost all the lacquer gone, but without and damage other than a couple of very minor dings or dimples. Obviously well cared for and loved as it is about 50 years old. I made the decision to have it completely refinished... in this case at Kanstul. I prefer to make this decision as oposed to buying a horn already done. Actually I steer away from refinished horns unless I know exactly what the condition was before the redo and what was done and, most importantly, who did the work.

I have a few vintage horns that are in all excellent original shape save some wear to the lacquer or darkening of the lacquer and a few tiny dings. I have chosen to keep these as is and play them that way. I happen to like the dark lacquer appearance and would only refinish if it was a way of maintaining the surface of the brass.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my first reaction was depends.

In general, I agree with Supportlivejazz. If buying over the internet or Ebay, etc, it is difficult to really get an idea of the horn from pictures. I have bought enough refinished horns that have shallow engraving that I would prefer an original horn as first preference. If it is refinished, I prefer to know who refinished it. I don't mind an instrument needing repairs, because I get to choose the repairman. I would not get an instrument refinished unless it really needs it. The rarer the horn, the more I am willing to accept. For instance, I would never buy a Martin Committee with a patch on it or that was obviously refinished, but I have a very early Chicago Benge and a very early "The Olds" that both have patches on the leadpipe.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: